The evolution of the survivalist.

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by fortunateson, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Seacowboys, my sentiments exactly. Well said.

2. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

True...this thread is not about family values, but in order to begin the evolution to a survivalist, something must have triggered it! We didn't all wake up one day and said: "OK, from tomorrow, I'm starting prepping, just for fun of it!" The point in family values was that many of us started prepping because of concern for their families, and that start is how evolution begins.
    If I had no family, I probably wouldn't bother prepping at all! The evolution of a prepper starts with "WHY"...the reason for prepping. And strongest reason for that would be family and its values! I bet that most of the people in prepping are doing it for the same reason I do...to protect and preserve their families, to have a chance of survival when SHTF.
    So, I wouldn't agree that family values are "fruitless generalizations", but I think they are an essential part of who we are and what we do...Heck, people here discuss what food to prep for their dogs and other animals because they view them as part of their family!
    We could stick strictly for the topic name, bun unless we are able to develop a discussion, give to others our views and opinions, and connect other things in it, what would be the point of participating in a forums at all? Personally, I want to hear everyone's opinion and find out what people think and why. That could give me some insight into their reasoning and also an evaluation if my knowledge or way of thinking is correct or faulted.
    Learning is the key part of our participation on this forum (at least for me)...
    I'm just very sorry I'm not able to meet people here in person, have a gallon or two with them, and get to know them better...

3. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Bane, we all have our own reasons for prepping and we all have our own starting points. Of course, for me, family survival is of utmost priority and even though those grown sons are on their own, they know they can come to my safe place.
    One must ask how many on this forum are divorced before we speak of breaking up the family unit and one must ask whether that "provider" we left would have been that adept at providing for his family. In my case, no.

Life throws us many curveballs and we either adapt or die. Actually, being on my own for a few years taught me a great deal about self-sufficiency.
    I don't believe we're doing this for sh*ts and giggles and I never implied this in my comments.
    I usually take exception to comments that contribute little relevancy to the topic, like career women being selfish and not keeping their families' well being in mind or making it the most important priority. I was just disabusing you of this notion.
    Different strokes.

4. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

When I wrote about breaking the family unit, I stated that it appeared to me that it was a deliberate trend of state and media, the propaganda, not only in US, but everywhere! I'm well aware of marital problems of all kinds that lead to divorces (alcohol, gambling, drugs, abuse, beating..etc). My post was regarding the state of mind and morals of people in the world. It always amazes me to see how easily people divorce, not only for serious reasons, but even for things that could be solved in another way...

You said it yourself that things from the past connected with your family turned you to self-sufficiency and prepping...because of your kids, your family, so how was my post about the family being important wrong?
    That was my whole point! That the family concern was the trigger for most of us getting involved in this business and evolving from there...
    As for comments that contribute little relevancy to the topic, I already said that I like discussions going on...the exchange of opinions, small jokes and smileys, teasing and arguing! I didn't realize that so strict relevancy to the topic is required...this isn't a courtroom...or is it?
    ...Of course, I could just say something dry and short strictly about the topic, and be done with that...and if I'm forced to do that, I'm gone...
    I have over 100 GB of books, tutorials, manuals and videos...I'm primarily here to communicate with people from different cultures, ways of thinking and to exchange opinions and ideas...If I want to read dry facts, I'll read a book, not participate in a forum!

And for the record, I didn't attack you or anyone else personally and I don't understand why are you taking this so personal...And no, I'm not aware how many people here are divorced, but if most of them are, then I'm truly sorry...I'm sorry that they are divorced, not that I said what I said!...
    I was speaking generally, as a global trend...Like when I said that lot of women put their careers ahead of their families...Was I wrong?
    Fortunately, I haven't been asked yet to be "politically correct"...Yet!

If I offended anyone, I'm sorry, that wasn't my intention...

5. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Bane, I'm not taking this personally, believe me. I'm much more thick-skinned than that. I merely pointed out to you that these days, as in years past, it is not longer possible to survive in a single income family.
    I also wanted to opine that while divorce is relatively easy, I'm quite sure much thought is given to this final solution, if you will.
    It's got nothing to do with being media driven and each case is different. My feeling is if that the family unit is dysfunctional and not conducive to a healthy and productive environment then it is necessary to dissolve it.
    And....I am never politically correct.
    I wouldn't feel sorry for anyone who is divorced, male or female. Chances are they're much happier, have gotten a fresh start and probably have a better chance at survival and prepping than someone stuck in a poisonous relationship.
    As for me, I've been most contentedly wed for 18 years this December.

6. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

I understand, and yes, you are right, life as we know it is becoming more and more difficult...it turned into a damn money chase!
    What I can't understand is why there are much more divorces today, than 100 years ago, when life was more difficult. Of course that every case is different, but why are people getting married then? I mean, 100 people get married, 80 get divorced...why? They couldn't see that the partner was no good for them? They or the partner changed suddenly? They were acting before the marriage? I really don't understand this...
    As for the media...In majority of the TV shows, movies, etc, you see people mostly divorced...almost all series I saw on Fox Crime channel, all of the lead cops are either alone or divorced...And kids watch this.
    It's my opinion that kids are shown that divorce or family is not something of greatest importance...or maybe I'm just paranoid, as always...
    I'm sorry for the divorced people because I know what it looks like to see your dreams and hopes crashing down, and all you've been building for years coming undone...Some of them manage to get back on their feet, but some of them don't!

And there's this ancient Chinese proverb: "A child without a father is like a house without a roof"...Maybe I'm a sucker, but I just love watching happy families!

And my sincerest congrats on your forthcoming anniversary! May they multiply in infinity!
    Cheers!...[boozingbuddies]

7. Lynn_A

Lynn_A Monkey+

I find myself evolving with new information I learn, but I also see how some of my preparations are also evolving. I like to test new items to make sure they work as advertised, so I will often grab my bag and go spend the night somewhere. It allows me to learn what works, what doesn't and what to do differently.

8. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Bane, no worries and thanks for the well wishes. I think people enter marriage with the very best intentions, but it doesn't always work for the best. I usually pay little attention to the media, except for non-biased current news(if you can find it.) If we gave the media the attention it doesn't deserve, then none of us would be prepping would we? ;-) They'd be telling us, much like the federal government, that all is well. We certainly know better. Best to you, Lynda

9. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Right! It's a continious evolution...

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am like the Jedi, to use a fictional reference. I must be willing to let go of everything and maintain clear focus. Not everybody is the same.

Some people like to have families, others do not. Every person's reasons may be slightly different for prepping, and their mindset for survival could be polar opposites, many hold false beliefs and myths. However, the one thing which binds us all is the fact that we all prepare for a coming SHTF scenario, or in the very least a potential hurricane, earthquake, or flood.

I don't know what that whole argument was about concerning families, perhaps it had to do with insecurity and maybe a little venting. I stand with Bane in that the family (no matter how it is perceived) is necessary to include in the discussion about evolving as a survivalist. I personally know other people (amazing, right?) who are nowhere near prepared because their "evil wife" thinks its crazy to stock up food, or the "selfish husband" wants to spend the extra dough on booze, and maybe in another instance, both parents are too ignorant and complacent to even care.

Most relevant.

The individual or the married couple with kids who work together and are informed and intelligent will help make a HUGE difference in their own lives and the lives of others in a SHTF situation. The more people who prepare and learn about self-sufficiency, the better off we will all be in disastrous times.

I think that's pretty OBVIOUS. I think that's more than what needs to be EXPLAINED.

Be well, John Spartan.

11. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

True...the more preppers, the better for humanity...and somehow I have a feeling that SHTF coul easily involve a lots of fire and smoke...
    I just realized I don't have any gas masks!...ok...next on my shopping list... :D

12. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

This was just a difference of opinion which had nothing to do with prepping per se. There's no insecurity here and my comments reflected that. Bane and I have made "peace" and I think we understand each other.
    Families come in different sizes and models and that's exactly right: we prep for them.

13. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

AMEN!

14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Cool.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7