The FEMA X

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by livin' in the woods, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Screenshot_20230401-215547. We had some bad weather roll through last nite, as did many others. I thought it might be helpful to post what the paint markings are on homes after TSHTF. I have been through many hurricanes, (Hugo) was one of them. I lived in Louisiana at the time, but as fate would have it, I was on the East coast racing hydroplanes when it hit. I now live in the Midwest, which has it's fair share of tornadoes, flash flooring etc.
    Anyhoos. The copy I will post might be helpful.

What Does This Mean for a Resourceful Prepper in a SHTF Scenario?
    If you are out and about after a disaster, now you can easily see what is going on at buildings that have been searched. Seeing a single slash on a building could also let you know that a search party is near; whether you are looking to encounter them or not. You can visit friend’s homes nearby and be able to tell if they were searched, what time, by who, and how many survivors and dead were found. That is a good amount of information for a little graffiti on the wall! That brings us to the second useful ability from knowing the FEMA markings.

Not only can you read the markings, but if SHTF and gets real nasty, you can write a marking. A large X with a box around it on the side of your house tells search parties, the military, and others who know the markings that it is not safe to enter your house. Paired with light and noise discipline, this could be a great deterrent to intruders in a SHTF scenario. Since your house may not look particularly dangerous, tagging the FEMA X and filling in some info may be the better choice. It may be more believable that your house was searched and passed over already rather than just too dangerous to enter. A foolproof tag that most national guard units would use is simply your state abbreviation in the left quadrant. Keeping a can or two of spray paint in your disaster kit may be a good idea.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    GOG, 3M-TA3, mechstdr and 3 others like this.
  2. Don't know why I got the double pic posted. Mods, feel free to delete one of them. I couldn't find how edit one out.

mechstdr and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

4. Thanks.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Might want to look at what data format is used in your area. Although similar, the pic above is NOT what was used post-Katrina. Any unit would be able to tell and may choose to investigate further.

mechstdr likes this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Also, if you do your house you will have to do all the other houses around yours's or it will look funny!

GOG, mechstdr, techsar and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7