The first 9 things to do when SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is a good article written by a Greywolf on what to do when SHTF. Because of Google rules, I cannot paste the whole article. following are a few excerpts.

10 steps how to prepare for SHTF

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    arleigh, kellory, Mountainman and 6 others like this.
  2. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I have read article from his website before and he seems to give good advice. Thank you for the post.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What I got out of the article is that I really need to find a group. I did find one person that wants to find like minded people but I didn't trust them. I would not trust my families safe being with him.

Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  4. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Yeah, I'm weak in that department. There are 2 groups here I know of. One is a definite NO. The other is capable of surviving SHTF or TEOTWAWKI mentally and prep wise. But most have some kind of infirmity and we know it won't be easy physically. If there were some younger people in the group as well, that one would be an option.

Up in NC I've got nothing. We would be on our own.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I have some people in my area that would be helpful when things go PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT. Others would be still thinking things would work out and just trust the Feds, others would have no clue what to do, and the rest would be threats to be dealt with, using extreme violence of action. So 3 out of 4 groups to avoid. Not great odds, but you can't fix stupid.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@madmax - which of the three areas of NC? Mtn, piedmont or coast? May not be as hopeless as you fear as there are a few of us here in NC.

Sapper John and Motomom34 like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Step 1 for me is to get away from the fan...

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  8. madmax

WNC. DL.

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Anyone else's neighbors look at them funny when you talk about it? I've resorted to discuss using gardening and increasing food prices to get my neighbors to start at least gardening...

Anyone else have a better approach?

3M-TA3 likes this.
  10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

A problem with talking to your neighbors in advance is that they will see you as the source for everything they neglected to do. During SHTF you will see the best and the worst of people. I like your indirect strategy. I only approach people sideways and if they bring it up I'm still cautious. I already know which neighbors, close friends, and relatives I can count on who bring something to the table. I'm quietly filling the holes like making sure there is a 90 day water supply for all, guns, gunsmithing tools, ammo, reloading & related supplies, seeds, first aid, seeds, garden tools, etc.. If I spoke to people directly they would think I'm a nut. When and if the time comes they won't, and will discuss more freely.

11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

So what indirect approach do you use? I've only spoken speculativly..

Have you ever thought about what would happen if electricity is out for a week...

Then I reference an example like when a transformer went out and the electric company couldn't replace for 8 weeks. Wonder what we would all do if one than one went out at a time... Blah blah blah

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. madmax

I have a former Marine behind me that pretty much doesn't have any fears or concerns. He just smiles and says they'll be fine. I do worry about the elderly around us (It's FL). Out of meds? Dead. None prep that I know of. None are interested. No gardens that I have seen. Long term? Bug out time.

As far as no elec. This neighborhood has been through several hurricanes. Power out for awhile. Those of us with gennies ran a line to a neighbor and we did fine.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    tulianr and Ganado like this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I'm not into groups. Never found them to be reliable over the long haul.

kellory, ditch witch, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@HK I'm not into groups either but I HAVE neighbors... I want them to stand on their own two feet... And I'm willing to say certain things to at the very least have them think about the future... Out people live in a bubble of delusion.

To say 'I'm not into groups' is a nice 'hear no evil, see no evil' approach if you can afford it but the reality is we all live in the same world with other people and we HAVE neighbors even if they are a ways away...

The question was about how can we cope with them not whether we liked them or not.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. -06

-06 Monkey+++

The BO gathering is 8-10 May in Piedmont NC. Come stretch out your BO gear. You may be surprised at how well you can get along using primitive skills and equipment. Want to know what to do in a bad scenario--come practice. "9 things"---they should already be done for in a truly bad situation the stores/computers will be down and nothing will be sold-especially in larger stores. Want to see how a local group can function? Bring your favorite smoke poles and plenty of ammo(bud will have some for sale) on his "blanket".

madmax, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

When it comes to conversation, I'm a counter puncher. They pick the subject, and if it's the economy, military, law enforcement, etc., I gently probe by pulling at small threads and gently steer while paying attention to reactions and body language.There is no set script, but leading to the consequences of a major earthquake (an inevitability in my area) is pretty useful. I have a tendency to play a bit dumb because it lets them explain their viewpoint and receptiveness without giving anything away on my part. People like to talk about themselves - just let them do it...

arleigh, kellory, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  17. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

When it comes to groups, all I can say is family and close friends...know you can trust them before you open your mouth.

gundog10, Motomom34, kellory and 2 others like this.
  18. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

If or when it's SHTF time you'll learn real quick about "Groups". I'm not talking about a family nucleus here. I found all groups loaded with posers and wannabes, too lazy to dig their own cat hole and too lazy to cover their own droppings. Most just looking for a free ride or a social event come Friday night.

Reeducation is fine and I'll do that with the survivors of the remaining few after the first contact. Other than that I have more than I can do now with just keeping my place going and improving it.

So who YOU gonna invite into your inner sanctum and trust with your life and works?

gundog10, ditch witch, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Ganado I am like @3M-TA3 people are more receptive when you let them lead. I also find if you mention your Grandma and learning to do things the old fashion way that is a great conversation starter. Many people have knowledge they just don't live it.

kellory and Ganado like this.
  20. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

Bingo. I feel very much like most on here. I am not a joiner and I am not overly trusting. I see the advantage of a group, if its the right group. I know very few that I would consider truly worth being in a partnership with. The last thing you need is another hungry mouth to feed, that can't pull their own load.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7