The first 9 things to do when SHTF

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This has been my delima all along.... I find most people, including some blood relatives to be living in a bubble called. 'the government is going to take care of everything'

Thanks for suggestion from everyone

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We do not have enough Folks for a Group, Really.... So we just have a few neighbors, who are very independent thinkers, and We mutually Support each other as Good Neighbors tend to do.... We do not trust OutSiders much, because they are unKnowns, and we have known each other, for a couple of decades, now...... If you are not a PREP'er of some sort, you can't live out here, as there isn't any transport during the Winters, that can bring in what you do not have In House, by September, each year.... Weapons are just tools like a Hammer or ChainSaw... Everyone has a set of good Tools, or they do not stay the winter.... Bush living is different, than even Rural Living.... And a very different lifestyle, that anything a Citified SubUrban dweller would encounter....

3. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The people I trust are not like minded and the people I know who ARE like minded, I don't trust. It doesn't help that I have never played well with others and don't give respect freely. For those I do trust and respect there's pretty much nothing I won't do for them. For all others, pffft. I've been in two groups, left both due to the overwhelming number of grasshoppers in each. While I was hauling stuff and digging holes and building chit, they were coming up with excuses as to why they couldn't be there/help out/do anything/spend anything. They loved to talk a big game but when it was time to roll up sleeves they all vanished like weed when the disco lights appear in the rear view. I went by the retreat of one group a year later, and absolutely NOTHING had been done. They were all still whining about no time, no money, no this, no that. I hope they enjoy their barren patch of ground with no water or shelter or food if TS ever HTF.

I've been watching my neighbors for years. I have a pretty good idea of who will take care of their own, and who will take, to take care of their own. And a few who will just lie around griping and complaining until they starve to death. I'm not going to waste my time preaching to people with a thousand dollars worth of plastic toys in the front yard and their power shut off for non-payment. There is one new one I intend to take some hello neighbor brownies to, get a feel for, because I saw some very interesting toys get unloaded when they moved in and I think they *might* be someone worth making friends with. Fingers crossed.

gundog10, Gray Wolf, HK_User and 7 others like this.
  4. J&MBixler

J&MBixler Monkey

Hi I just read your post. My husband and I also live in North Carolina. We are starting to look for land to live on. Both of us are really unhappy with the direction our society is headed. I am wondering if you have any suggestions of where to look for land that does not have a lot of restrictions that we can build our home.

Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Surprisingly, people change , sometimes better, and often worse when the SHTF.
    There are no characteristics set in stone .
    Even in a group, even though every one seems to be on board, it only takes one that feels they are being short changed,can stir up trouble no matter how much or how little they have invested.
    Most groups I've been involved with ,rely on a hand full in the group to do every thing, and the rest complain about how they are doing it.
    Here's a scenario.
    Every one is told to stay in the house . But as kids are, don't always appreciate how serious these instructions are, and your little one sneaks out side any way to grab a toy they see, and hear a bang, you look out side, and he's been shot in the leg screaming and crying .

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It is not even children. Adults do not listen either. Bugging in or planning to bug in was #2 on the list but the list also mentioned having a group. I have been watching a show on CW called Containment. It is about an illness that is spreading rapidly. It really has me thinking because people were told to stay 6 feet apart and basically shelter in place. The shows shows how the 20 somethings and idiots ignore the initial warnings. This is something that I have been thinking about. Pandemic is something that scares me because I know that people will not listen to the warnings and go about their lives and those are the ones that will infect you. They get exposed then decide they need help or come into your area being the illness into your AO.

Ganado, kellory and arleigh like this.
  7. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Good plan. I wish I could do that too. We are in the process of relocating to the midwest so that is at least a bit safer than the east coast. (Hopefully)

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My point is if some one has ventured out and gotten injured do you rush out to help them and chance being a second target ?
    Or will you willingly surrender your security, negotiating for the false hope of recovering a loved one, that made exception for them self ?

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Win, lose, or draw...I'm recovering my child. I have a shield that has already shed bullets, it ain't large enough for full body, but would cover vitals from a known direction. ( obviously a full-length Bulletproof Shield would be better, but you have to use what you have) I expect to take damage, but i will not leave my child to die, without trying. What is the point of survival, at the cost of family?
    I don't care if you agree with my choice or not. That's my choice.

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Has someone already been shooting at you?

kellory likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Why? Feeling frisky?;)
    Yes, I've been shot at. But the shield was shot by me, as a test.
    It was cut from the side of a water tower by oxy acetylene torch, during demolition. It has taken a few .38, and a deer slug, and just left a very small dent and a smear of lead. I'm sure there are weapons that will penetrate it, but it is the most bullet resistant item i own.
    @1/4" rolled plate steel. I have a lighter, smaller shield for sword work.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

See now you already have a plan in place . most people don't.

13. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

My son attends WCU and I am in Northeastern NC, near the coast

14. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

good plan, we have done most everything in it and then some. :)

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Long after I'm dead there are things that still need to be done.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7