The First Four Things You Would Do After Bugging Out Into the Woods

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Inspired by @Motomom34 s thread "The Top 4 Reasons Why You’re Not Going to Survive Bugging Out to the Woods"

OK.....

You have taken the challenge to bug out into some nearby 1,000,000 acres of mountainous BLM or US Forest Service land following a SHTF disaster that has affected the entire Nation. There is no infrastructure, no highway rail or air support system, society has fallen to its lowest survival level, and there is no electricity or running water anywhere.

You, your wife and two teen aged children are forced to bug out for your own safety. You have prepped, you make it out, so what do you have and most importantly....

What are the first four things you do?

sarawolf, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  2. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

1. Find sustainable water
    2. Find shelter
    3. Prepare for, not necessary make a smoke free fire (need something to cook, or if it is cold, then fire)
    4. Get Mama cooking

Rancher

3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Pretty much nailed it for here in AZ. In colder climates, the shelter and fire may need to be first.

4. medicineman

medicineman Survival Guru

Perimeter security devices
    Fire
    Shelter
    Set out snares and fishing lines.
    (water is everywhere here)

5. duane

duane Monkey+++

Can discuss priorities but shelter, drinkable water, heat, and physical security are the first things. Can go a week or so with little food, but dying of exposure, thirst, or being shot or eaten by a bear, will greatly decrease your chances of long term survival. Hopefully you will have some food, a few lbs of rice, wheat, oatmeal, powdered milk, dried meat, salt, vitamins, and a way to cook them, and some insect repellent, fishing gear, snare wire, and water filters would multiply your chances of survival many times. With lymes disease, the other tick and mosquito diseases, flies etc, insects are more of a danger then mammals, other than man, to your long term survival.

6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Water and shelter are first on my list. One thing I always question is a shelter needs to be on ground and water is always below. Maybe you are lucky and find a spring but when making your shelter do not have it on too high of ground because you will expend all your energy going up and down the hill. I read somewhere do not camp next to your water source because one runs the risk of visitors, 2 and 4 legged.

While collecting wood and stuff for my shelter and fire (#3), be looking for signs of critters. Food is number four. I would be looking for signs of game, berries, trees etc..

** @Dunerunner like (y)

7. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Level the motorhome,fire up the genny, fix a toddy, tell wife to turn the map right side up.

8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

1. Tie a bandanna around my head
    2. Cut an old piece of cloth I found into a poncho with my Bowie knife
    3. Tie my Bowie knife onto a piece of wood forming a spear
    4. Yo!
    Take that you effing redneck sherrif!!!

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Hrm... First I would definitely...wait a minute...

(Hacking mode engaged. Re-writes the parameters)
    1. Set up booby traps along pre-established perimeter. Double check explosives (these are legal fire crackers to the BATF).
    2. Ensure secondary egress route is clear and perform complete gear check.
    3. Start up the tactical barbecue and crack open a beer.
    4. What? Was there something else I was supposed to do?

DONE.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

1 set up several perimeter (3 mile circumference) false camps with flash bang detectors warning devices .
    2. Map the area (detail ) plus enhancements .
    3. identify assets and threats
    4. establish cashes

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ref the OP, which I read as short notice. If your caches and maps are not already prepared and in place, you are SOL.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Yard Dart, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I was thinking along the lines of @arleigh and @azrancher .... The assumption being I could get out of what ever city I was in and that I made the decision soon enough that we did not have to fight our way out, kind of like the evacuation of the science lab in the original "War of the Worlds."

I have accurate maps of the of the State I live in in my BoB, I have a suitable vehicle for bugging out, I have ammunition and weapons, I have a supply of food for two months and the devices necessary to cook, I have temporary shelter (tent) and sleeping gear all ready to load into the truck. I have home made perimeter intrusion alert devices and have thought out the possibility of having to bug out with my family, so I know where I am going and how to get there. I have axes, buck saws, sledge hammers, shovels, rakes, picks, in general; tools for collecting fire wood and excavating by hand. I have tarps, wire for snares, come along Maasdam Pow'R Pull 144S-6 1 Ton Capacity Pow'R Pull USA Made - Come Along - Amazon.com, rope, and paracord.

My chosen location will be on high ground that is defensible. I will have trained my family to survive in advance as society slowly disintegrated around us.

That said...

Shelter first, whether it is the temporary tent or a more permanent structure. Permanent would depend on population density and whether that pressure would necessitate our moving or keeping the camp concealed. There might come a time when you might establish a friendly community, but on initial bug out that would be dangerous and unlikely.

Secondly, establish the perimeter warning devices and I like the idea of false camps. it would give intruders the impression that there are more of us than four. Care must be given that we do not leave a trail back to the real camp, and I would ring the false camps with trip wires, dead falls, and make them look like they were active camps.

Third is water. I brew beer, so I will have 25 gallons of water in 5 gallon polycarbonate bottles plus the commercial bottled water I have prepped. I would be taking my Bayou Classic Banjo Burner Amazon.com : Bayou Classic KAB4 High Pressure Banjo Cooker : Outdoor Fry Pot Accessories : Patio, Lawn & Garden, three 40# propane bottles and definitely one of the 25 gallon kettles from my brew system. I plan to collect rain water (there is plenty) and scouting for water sources will be done as the two legged predator pressure declines.

Fourth, I would establish watch and work schedules and teams and implement them immediately. This would be about surviving, not camping. I would have set up alarm points at specific intervals on the 360 degree approach to the main camp. I have night vision equipment... :rolleyes: I know... Intrusion could be detected as far out as 1 mile with trip wires and detection devices (mouse trap and shotgun shell). A 3 mile perimeter would be desirable but probably not practical.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  13. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Your options are pretty much just two: find a defensible spider-hole or keep moving. Are you fugitive or prey?

14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

1. Not get shot
    2.Find water I can acquire without getting shot
    3. Proceed to follow previous advice while locating other resources
    4. Enjoy not being shot.

I know it seems like a simple list, but I'm fairly certain it adds up to a full docket.

ED GEiN, VisuTrac, azrancher and 4 others like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

:lol:

Dunerunner likes this.
  16. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

already have a plan and place to go pre thought out years ago it would be like second nature

Destiney'soma and Dunerunner like this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There are many places I'd like to go , but the fact of the matter is, I know I'm not the only one that knows about these places.

18. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Set the neighbourhood rules and regulations up with the other 100K people that just moved into the woods with you. Very poor form to go take a "nature poop" just outside Bubba's leanto shelter 15yds over from you small log bunker and cashe....

Bacawind, 3cyl, oldawg and 5 others like this.
  19. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Go hunting for game with the suppressed .22lr and raiding other peoples trap lines while the wife deploys the tactikat on the perimeter and the kids unload their tactical wheelbarrows..

20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just a short comment, since I won't be traveling hundreds of miles away from where I produce my own electricity and have a reliable well...
    How many other folks have the same idea - run to the hills when the SHTF? How are you going to avoid thousands of people that think they know what they're doing...or are willing to kill you to gather your supplies? I don't believe that bugging out to the wilds is the best or smartest alternative.
    But that's just my take on it :)

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. ED GEiN
  4. yeti695
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Brokor
  8. IndieMama
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. college survivalist
  11. andrew ebert
  12. maleaco