The First Four Things You Would Do After Bugging Out Into the Woods

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Dunerunner, Mar 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My thought, @techsar is that you will have to capitulate to the controlling entity or get out if you are in a larger population center. Population here is less than 8,000 an I believe most of the Left leaning will head to the major city 60 miles to the East in search of government support. But, you are right in that there will be a multitude headed for the hills, I just hope they choose the hills to the East and not the West.

Personally, I do not plan to bug out. I'm no where near as self sufficient as you but I can collect rain water (no well) and store 100 gallons of it. If I were real smart, I could stretch that to two hundred gallons...

Food beyond two months would be an issue as I know the local stores will be stripped bare within hours by hoarders and opportunists. There are just no good choices and, as has been mentioned many times in these types of threads, life will get hard.

Yard Dart and techsar like this.
  2. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

First, I would do what I usually have to do upon arriving anywhere...take a Tom Hanks pee and an epic dump. From there I'd be taking care of security, water, shelter and food.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

Me? I ain't running. I would simply move to the rock walls behind the house and set up a half dozen gun positions. A scoped rifle in the first position for shots out to 300 yards. A carbine half way down the first wall for shots out to 150 yards. A 12 gauge slug gun for those who manage to get 'up close 'n personal'; and another carbine and a few extra semiautomatic pistols at the end of the third wall where the swamp and woods begin.

If it comes to this I'll be happy just to make as many marauders as I possibly can regret trying to cross the fields or coming down our road; and, since I am (by far) the most peaceful person living on top of this mountain, I'm sure that a good half dozen of the neighbors, who have a lot more to lose than we do, (including a large herd of beef cattle) will be even more bellicose about being invaded.

Another thing I’ve been thinking about is to dig a hole out back in the woods and stash away a small survival larder of supplies, including certain medical trauma gear. I shoot a lot better than any of the neighbors do; but they're the ones who've got all of the livestock, plenty of other foodstuffs, and the PA 'Class 3' weapons; and they're very territorial, too.

I think the neighbors realize that anyone who's ever driven up this road knows that these large farm fields are here; and will be quick to head out this way shortly after things start to go wrong. (The neighbors have already had problems with stolen farm equipment and, of all things, cattle rustlers!) Quite frankly, I don’t see any of us lasting for too long unless we learn how to cooperate with one another, real fast!

(Should be fun, though. I think those viral-infected zombies I’ve been hearing so much about are really gonna love this place!) :p

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

I have spent most of my life in the mountains so bugging out to them would be like returning home life in the wilderness is something I love and I am very good at so it wont be a problem for me at all

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

While I live in a semi rural area, hundreds of people trying to live in the cut over 4 sq mile wild life preserve that is a half mile away are going to have real problems when they find out that their welfare checks and food stamps are not accepted by the local wild life and those who intend to use their $##,### rifle, scope, night vision, full tactical armor, etc to forage and take from others might survive for a while as cannibals but the pickings are going to be pretty slim based on what the most of the golden hoard will be carrying. I would not be able to survive there alone now if I were to take what I could carry and with winter nearly over.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

If you are not digging already.... you need to get to it sir!! Off site "protected storage" is an asset!!

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I thick that it might b advised , what ever you put under ground leave nothing metallic that can be seen with a metal detector. And or provide several dummy cashes that have seekers wasting a lot of time and effort for nothing.
    Your cash should be mapped and your family should know how to read that map in some unique way .
    There are "family" terms and expressions ,only use among that group . these can be a key to that task .
    One might refer to the particular couch as the love seat , because that's where the children were conceived.
    Mom and dad know this ,but is't a secret to the rest of the family.

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  8. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

How come no one has said:
    Die.
    Start bloating
    Pop
    and turn into black ooze being consumed by the forest?

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Because it is defeatist, although probably a reality. But at least you did cover 4 things... In order! :D

Yard Dart and VisuTrac like this.
  10. drpt

drpt Monkey

1) set up the hammock
    2) set the jaw traps
    3) drink a beer
    4) take a nap

Dunerunner likes this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Turn on the SatTv, and watch the FlatLand Cities, burn... then fix some Mooseburger Helper, eat, turn off the Genset, and go to bed....

VisuTrac, Yard Dart, duane and 2 others like this.
  12. duane

duane Monkey+++

BTPost, not being a smart a**, but how many of the far northern modern native villages could survive without either a massive die off or massive inputs. What little I see on TV about the Alaskan bush seems to show a lot of airplanes, generators, snow mobiles, out board motors, oil heat etc. Many of the areas could not support the present population density with subsistence hunting and dog sleds etc.

13. BTPost

The old ways are still strong, in the northern regions... and where I live we have tons of hydro, that could be harnessed, for energy... once that is dealt with, the same Food Supplies, that kept the local Natives fed, are still here, plus with modern knowledge, it is very likely to grow plants that otherwise wouldn't be likely grown in this climate.

Gator 45/70 and Destiney'soma like this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It seems that many forget the advantages modern inventions had made life seeking the primitive to fall back on.
    Had the indians the same fire power and military strategy, Columbus may never had made it ashore.
    Having fine surveillance electronics ,is a world ahead of sacrificing some one at a guard tower.
    We share tons of knowledge here ,that not all the world had even in the time they came from 100-200 years ago.
    This world is significantly more crowded and some what informed and armed for that matter.
    As the collapse begins people will begin to learn to look out food booby traps and such, even tainted food and water.
    No one will be resting on their laurels except fools , even us old guys will have to resharpen our selves even relearn some of the things we knew when we were younger, if we can do that .

Yard Dart likes this.
  15. Destiney'soma

Destiney'soma Monkey

If not fixing your own place in the mountains to go to what other options are there? Many say they would stay where they are but if that becomes to dangerous and the pressure to get out hits what options are there then? I am not trying to be a smart butt I am just trying to get different options to save my family.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Everywhere is dangerous. First rule.

oldawg likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IF you could sink a well in the desert far from civilization ,
    Your chances would be pretty good at least from civilian intrusion.
    In the desert where things are pretty flat , it's pretty hard to sneak up on some one.
    Under ground and no above ground stuff that could attract attention might work petty good .

18. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Are the woods safe in the first place in regards to things like animals, poisonous snakes and trees catching fire? I take it the advantage is the assumption people will never go there to steal your resources, shoot and kill you and rape your women but if you're eaten/attacked by animals. poisoned by a snake or a victim of a forest fire, the plusses are all negated.

19. BTPost

Depends on the Woods.... Where I live we haven't had a Rape of a Woman, in 35 years... We did have a Murder, last summer, between two Drunks, the previous Shooting was 35 years ago and the victim did NOT die.... We have BEARS, both Black & Brown, but haven't had a "Munching" locally (within 100 SQ Miles) EVER... No snakes up here, but we do have Wolves, Coyotes, Linx, Wolverines, and Moose. (that will stomp you into the ground if they decide to).... No fatalities from any of those around here... in the last 50 years.... Now you tell ME, which sounds better, HERE, or South Central LA????

3M-TA3 and ED GEiN like this.
  20. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

You've given me a new term for my vocabulary, "Munching". I Love it! South Central LA is more dangerous than the Woods in the daytime with the Police out in full force! PS I haven't heard my former favorite term, "Wilding" used in years. That's when a group of fine urban youth go out in packs and look to rape, injure and kill.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. ED GEiN
  4. yeti695
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. Brokor
  8. IndieMama
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. college survivalist
  11. andrew ebert
  12. maleaco