the "Hiding Stuff in Plain Sight" thread

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by CATO, Nov 5, 2013.

1. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Post links or DIY how-to's about how to conceal things in plain sight.

Using stair risers as drawers.
    Basement Steps Secret Storage » Saving 4 Six

My basement steps were foul! I mean nasty. I have evidence…brace yourself, it’s bad!!

100_4135.JPG

100_4136.JPG

100_4138.JPG

Hello, hello, are you still there or did you pass out??
    I took a nasty fall down these steps a few weeks back and so it motivated my Better half and I to get busy making them more user and visually friendly.

First, we removed that awful carpet and the treat that was waiting for us underneath was well… DISGUSTING!!
    100_4139.JPG

100_4141.JPG

100_4157.JPG
    After removing the carpet from these bottom 3 steps we realized how unsafe these steps actually were.

100_4166.JPG
    The treads on all the steps were only 7 inches wide so we repurposed the treads from the upstairs steps that we replaced last summer.

100_4148.JPG

100_4149.JPG
    The steps are now covered with carpet so it didn’t matter what the treads looked like, just that they were wider than the previous 7 inches.

100_4604.JPG

100_4605.JPG
    Ahhhh, isn’t that wonderful!
    I saw the idea to add drawers under our steps and was convinced to do this!!!

301_3283.JPG
    Thankfully My Better Half is a genius and was able to take this dresser and turn it into…

100_4608.JPG
    Drawers in the steps!!
    This is the pictorial of the building process:

100_4180.JPG

100_4182.JPG

100_4183.JPG

100_4184.JPG

100_4185.JPG
    After new carpet and some paint, they are not just beautiful but extremely practical.

100_4606.JPG

100_4608.JPG

100_4611.JPG 100_4610.JPG
    100_4608.JPG
    I love, love, love all this extra storage.

fmhuff, Tonners, Motomom34 and 14 others like this.
  2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I will not be posting to this thread due to OpSec. If we show how we are going to hide our stuff, they are going to know where to look first. So, cool idea but that just killed a very similar hidey hole for me. I guess I'll just put non-essential items there now.

kellory likes this.
  3. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

When my grandparents built their house in the late '20s they did something similar,but different.
    Instead of installing drawers, they hinged the stair treads.
    Matt

fmhuff and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Were their names "Lily" and "Herman" and did they have a dragon named "Spot" who lived underneath?

Tonners, VisuTrac and Mountainman like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Butler named "Lurch"......

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

watch out for Uncle Fester.....

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Butler named "Lurch" ..... And a crazy Bomb making Uncle named " Bruce" Opps, I mean " Fester"....

VisuTrac likes this.
  8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

You guys to funny.. I just have 50 cal cans lining one side making dangerously narrow stairs even more narrow..

VisuTrac likes this.
  9. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Where are your hand rails? W/O them you are asking for a fall. Ask me how I know--lol. Putting one on the basement stairs and front stoop steps along with a railing.

10. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Actually my loving Grandpa Bernhardt was a very successful long haul trucker who hid out on the road,Grandma Lois was the evil witch,and 113yo Great Grandma Weimer who outlived five Great Grandpa's (All died mysteriously)was the evil Dragon who lived in the room under the stairs that is thought to have been dispatched with a pillow in her sleep by Grandma.
    Then there was Uncle Peter who was the conniving worthless,one legged,evil troll who lived in the attic apartment.
    I'm glad I'm just a step kid.That whole side of the family were either evil or screwy except my Grandpa.
    Matt

11. wastelander

wastelander Bad English, bare with me

Nice work there

12. Dont

Had a great grand father that was rumored to have been "tricked" into a marriage..
    Hand rails ? Not enough room. These stairs are more like ladder steep. Not much room for any thing in this old shack..

13. kellory

Even ship's ladders have railings. Add a pair of rope rails. Take nearly no room at all. Much safer.

14. Dont

Just grab the sides like a ladder when going up, hang on to the opening on the way down.. Only fell a couple times, usually bumped down the steps o my butt..

fmhuff likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guess there's a message there. Trying for a Darwin, are you?

kellory likes this.
  16. Dont

Not really.. Very limited room. Really small shack. And the place was designed for a loft that was accessed by a ladder. A ladder that could slip and fall, and had.. I had eliminated the loft by extending its floor and fitted the stairs into a corner.. Stairs would not fit any place else...

17. kellory

A ship's ladder, is a halfway point between a staircase and a ladder. They are made for tight quarters. I have one in my hunting cabin. There are also circular staircases, which use even less space.

18. Dont

These stairs very much remind me of a ships ladder.. Is supposed to be only until I can build a better place..

19. Dont

Stairs work as long as you don't get in no hurry. 900 sq ft of living space, storage, and work shop. Is tight quarters.

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love this idea. My neighbor did this with some of their stairs. They did a few drawers and I was amazed at what they could fit in there.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7