The Perfect Bug Out Bag

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by E.L., Jan 18, 2010.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I went through my bags last night, and I feel like something is missing. What are the contents of your BOBs? I have a main BOB, that is mine. It consists of fire starters, small five inch or so fire log, small med kit, extra clothes, Mountain House meals, fork, spoon, knife, can opener combo, water, water filter w/backup filter, multi-tool, small pans, two knifes, compass,small tarp, fishing line, rain poncho, power bars, para cord, small binocs, duct tape, and even a small waterproof container with bay wipes, ibuprofen, Benadryl, mouthwash, gas mask, a small toothbrush, toothpaste, and mini shampoo. I am also using Sterno as my heat source until I pick up a small jet-boil type of stove (I also have the large Coleman stove that is a bit big). I also have a sleeping bag on the back. This load is really not heavy, and I have carried it comfortably. I have most of the same in other bags, but without quite as much. I carry my ammo/firearms on myself. What am I not carrying that I should be? I even have a machete strapped on the outside. I am sure there are a few things I am missing, but that is most of it. The toiletries are the mini-travel types. With two children, bugging out on foot except for the shortest of distances is not an option, unless they are somewhere else at the time. The intent of this pack is to grab and go, throw in the car, and even to take camping, while still trying to cover all of the bases.

What am I missing?

2. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

how about a small plastic container with hooks,shot,swivels, etc for the fishing line. and a couple silver coins, pencil, pad, book (edibles, survival, playboy, lol etc), deck of cards, or dice.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Water!! (Edit - Ooops. Rereading does wonders.)

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Suggestions: microfiber towel, wash cloth, a bar of soap goes a long way...550 cord, going to bring seeds with you by any chance? I didn't see knives mentioned, but I am sure you have that covered. A snare kit is invaluable, and already mentioned was the fish kit and water (pump/purification). Spare socks, probably covered...snow goggles if applicable, multi tool already on belt I assume.

I have been taking stuff out of my BOB and slimming it. I don't like to haul extra crap.

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Come on Ghrit, read a little closer. third line "water".
    but, that's ok we don't mind duplication....lol....as long as the weight doesn't get to be too much. Gotcha!
    and, Broker, knives was mentioned also.... he has 2 listed.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Catch up, chiefie, fixed it ten minutes ago. :lol:

7. E.L.

I have the 550 cord and socks in the pack already. I like the idea of a survival book or two, but they would have to be small. I have a first aid brochure laminated with good information that just about anyone could read and understand. My biggest dilema is that I do not have room for my memory foam pillow. I also have bug spray with deet in the bag. Any other suggestions?

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Pen/pecils, notepad, waterproof marker/s, and a good magnifying lens..
    (for starting fires as well as medical useage)

9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

You know those travel pillows that inflate and fit around your neck? I use one of those. Folds up tiny, weighs almost nada. If it gets a hole, you're scrooged...oh well. I like it.

Also, I forgot to ask if you had any means to chop wood. I see the machete, but that is limited. I carry (2) saws which roll up into a chain (not a bone saw) and have handles for each end. The military version comes in a little tin can, but the best one is made by Webtex or Ultimate Survival and comes in a dandy sheath. The alternative would be to carry a folding saw; they are somewhat restricted to smaller trees and branches, but it would work. Currently, I have a tomahawk as well, but if the pack tends to get too heavy, I *suppose* I could ditch it...don't wanna though. I don't like machetes, but for a jungle environment they are rather awesome.

10. E.L.

I like the tomahawk idea, and the chain.

11. tellydoug

tellydoug Who is John Galt?

I have been an EMT for over 30 years, and I would add a SAM splint, triangular bandage, and 4"ace wrap bandage, the med kit should have 4x4 gauze pads. Loose the neosporin (or triple antibiotic ointment containing Neomycin Sulfate), if you have that, and substitute Bacitracin instead. Neo is too harsh for tender areas like around eyes.

12. E.L.

Good stuff, keep it coming.

13. tellydoug

tellydoug Who is John Galt?

If we keep it coming, you will need a bug-out-Peterbilt....

14. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I've been working on my fishing kit. I went to a site and read a great idea. YoYo's for fishing![Cabela's] . Just hook them to a tree limb and go to sleep. If close by their noise will alert you. They are small and compact, so you can pack as many as you want. I use to use them as a teenager, they work great.

15. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

16. YSOCREUS

YSOCREUS Monkey++

Uh... maybe a space blanket or two, a unscented maxi-pad does wonders in controling massive bleading on wounds, roll of good electrial tape,(it takes up less space than duct tape), and with the squeamish, (kids), Ambosol, instantly relieves pain on cuts, definately worth it's space in the bag. You might consider a morale booster also. A small pack of Kool-Aid, and or Bullion Cubes added to water will do wonders. While these aren't "missing" from your bag, it all adds up to less than a pound but well worth it.

17. E.L.

Got the space blanket and maxi pad in there. Not sure if it is scented.
    Ambisol, have not considered that. Good stuff, keep it coming.

Currently we are bunkered down right now, tornadoes hitting on three sides. There is just one more cell I am worried about, but it is a solid thirty minutes away. I even got out my old crank radio, even though the top part of the crank broke, it still works when cranked. I made mention to my wife of the earlier post on crank radios, and that we needed a good one. She agreed.

18. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

A change of clothes in a sealed bag would be top of what I didnt see. Get soaked by rain or falling through ice or what ever and even in the 50s or 60s hypothermia can be a big factor if you dont have dry clothes to change to. I just keep a jump suit/coveralls and a pair of socks to fill this bill.

I also didnt notice a sharpening stone mentioned for the knives, flashlight, batteries, cook pot/can, shelter (small tarp with the cord gets everyone out of the rain/wind for a while pretty easy and quick). Other than that looks to have basics pretty well covered.

19. SLugomist

SLugomist Monkey++

Hey, MOnkeyman is back.

Was trash bag(s) mentioned, super heavy duty.

20. E.L.

I have extra clothes in the bag among with a thick heavy duty rain suit. Got a tarp and paracord inside as well. Also have a cheap set of pans. I neglected to say I have glow sticks in there, the girls love them. I have a wet stone with one of the knives. I like the trash can idea, will add that. I have extra zip locks, but a good contractors trash bag would be excellent. I will have to take some picks of it all.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7