The Right Way to Tie Your Shoes

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Nov 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Here you go, @Ganado...

Untied

[​IMG]

Regular shoe lace knot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that you get the theme of the pictures, here's how I tie my modified surgeons knot shoelace. You can loop it through more, but I only do two times. Good enough for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's quick release because you tie loops like a regular shoelace. Except here, I loop the loop through twice like the first part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you have it. Pull either end and it unties. Quick release. Dress it, and it rarely comes undone. In all the years I have been tying it this way, I can probably count the times it came undone on one hand. Usually with laces that are slippery to begin with or if I tied it quickly and didn't make sure it was dressed properly. You could always loop it through three times instead of two. But like I said, two is good enough for me. It takes maybe a second or two longer to tie than a regular shoelace. About the same extra time as if you were to double knot. But untying is soooo much easier.

Mods, feel free to move this if you feel it is appropriate. I posted it here because it is Ganado's thread and she asked.

Ganado, chelloveck and kellory like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thank you the pictures make it very clear!

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Tobit

Tobit Ham Extra Class

@Hanzo I am surprised you wear shoes, I expected sandals.. pro lacing. (y)

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You're welcome, @Ganado

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Most of the time, I am barefoot. Second most would be in slippers. Then shoes and sandals. Nothing to tie on the first two. I just wore shoes to bike. Then when I finished, I am barefooted again.

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG] this is incorrect, and will not hold, because it is half backwards. Tied properly, it is a square knot with quick release pulls. (As pictured, it is a granny knot with pulls)[​IMG]

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7