The 'Wolf goes au naturel.......

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Seawolf1090, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

With my peanut butter, that is. No worries.....

I have been wanting to find a good alternative to the Peter Pan and Jiff stuff, that is laced with Rape Seed/Canola Oil - google up that stuff and it'll scare the Hades out of you!
    So, I have been using Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter - very good stuff! It's in a glass jar, and must be refridgerated after opening - no preservatives. Interesting texture - even the Smooth has wee bits of peanut - I like it! It has to be stirred before use, as the oils do separate.
    They make a good natural Syrup too. I can feel better about using them now.
    Prices are nearly the same as the Big Name preservative-laden products - so cost isn't an issue.

I did an experiment awhile back.
    Took a dollop of Peter Pan P-butter and put it in a bowl, and it's been sitting for over a year now.....
    No mold, no bugs, no .... anything.....
    It just sits there, never changing state! It's like peanut-flavored plumber's putty..... I WILL NOT put that stuff in my belly again. [nono]

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We have a New England company that produces 100% peanut, no additives, no oils, no sugar, no salt, peanuts only. It's called Teddie Peanutbutter. It's the only one I have found around here that replicates homemade PB

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

RH-
    Have you a recipe for homemade?

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's an easy one ghrit

A couple cups of roasted peanuts (shelled)

1 tsp peanut oil - salt optional

food processor

5. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yep....made it a lot. My kids loved it! They even loved stirring it to make it "eatable" ....(Their words, not mine...) ;)

6. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

:rolleyes: This poor throw away society! :cry:

Growing up in Laramie, WY we used to go to a small shop called the Good Earth Market, if memory serves, and they had a machine that you would pour just peanuts into and out would come pure peanut butter made from just peanuts. Really haven't enjoyed peanut butter since! Was even cheaper if you brought your own jar...ok so we were poor.

Byte

7. RightHand

We have Whole Food Market that still makes fresh PB but it's pricey. Plaster an "Organic" label on anything, put the shop in Yuppietown, and you get to charge 5 times what everything is worth

8. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

My last job had equipment in those, RH and I agree with you. When I first started to install hardware I tried to shop in the one nearest to me and wow. Anybody living on 40k or less a year could use the place as a great diet plan! I stopped attempting to shop there when I saw a box of organic mac'n cheese for $3. :lol: Say what!

Byte

9. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

Ok

Well I'll toss a different thought in the mixing bowl. I'm allergic to peanuts and out of my well many years I'd never had it. I smelled it, I've used it for my mice traps but never tried it. The wife brought home some stuff called Sunbutter. It's made from sunflower seeds. According to the wife it tastes like P-Butter and has the same texture. This stuff is great. I'm having a blast trying all the things I never got to try. SBJ's sunbutter n jelly, on crackers, everything.
    Now it's in the natural food area or at the whole foods store but I don't think it's much more than peanut butter.

Take care Be safe Poacher.

10. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Poacher -- if you're not allergic to almonds, you can also get organic almond butter at Costco sometimes (a little more expensive than PB).

Our Winco grocery store has a peanut butter machine in the bulk food section, but I can't remember if it's any cheaper.

11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, that's the beauty of Smuckers - same price as Jif and PP, but none of that nasty stuff in it! We make a snack using PB mixed with cane syrup - makes a sweet treat. The Smuckers is perfect for it. It spreads more easily on bread too.

12. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

We use honey just like that, SC. Ohh my roomie just bought a honey bear the other day...

Byte[touchdown]

13. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I can't eat peanuts or almonds so I use "soynut butter". List of ingredients: soybeans, soybean oil, salt.

I've also tried cashew nut butter, yum :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7