The year of propane and propane accessories

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by oil pan 4, Sep 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I took my obsolete scrap yard 40lb propane tank, ratchet strapped it to a piece of I beam, ratchet strapped the I beam and tank to my trailer, then took my new valve tool and 3/4 inch pipe and unscrewed the valve, then put the opd in.
    Pumped the bottle up with 120 psi of air, checked for leaks with soapy water and pulled a 27 inch Hg vaccum and got it filled last week. Left it sitting on the porch for a week and checked it for leaks and it's still full.

oldman11, Zimmy and Dunerunner like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Surprised they filled it without a current hydrostatic test imprint on the tank... But, well done!

oldman11, Zimmy and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have saved my 1 lb tanks and refill them , I also get brass caps for them . seems that once you've used them , even though they were not used up, they leak. Adding the cap cures the problem.
    Some propane torches leak while still attached to the small bottles, so I made it a practice to remove the torch while not in use and cap the bottle . Saves me time and money and gas..

john316, Cruisin Sloth, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Actually if I get another suspicious rusty propane tank I many take it and get it hydrostatic tested.
    I already have had my air compressor tanks hydro tested. When I tore my air compressors apart to rebuild them for low starting surge I took the tanks in.
    All you have to do is youtube "air compressor explosion" for proper motivation.

oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got a nice little propane heater for the bathroom.
    My wife was complaining that the bathroom was cold. It has no HVAC ductwork. So it's cut off.
    I got a little Mr heater ceramic 4k to 9k btu per hour heater and put it in the bathroom.
    She likes it.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and 3cyl like this.
  6. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I managed to get 2 50 gallon tanks from a prop service guy I knew. I can lift them with my tractor when they are full and haul to town in my utility trailer. Once I set up the cook stove figure it will last over a year for cooking an one emergency wall mount lamp.
    Talking to the prop guy I guess there is actually a lot of used 20 to 100 gallon tanks on the used market.

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Were do you find the brass caps? The treads on mine are getting rusty and I have started putting tape on them.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Any Propane Supply House should have them....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I searched years ago on line for the brass caps , do not remember the outfit .
    I had given the hard copy info I had to a local hard ware store but they never did any thing with it .
    Good advise that's free often is ignored .
    oldman11 you are the only one that has asked . sorry I don't have the info on me any more , you might try Amazon. .

Yep they have them cheaper than what i paid for them

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got four 20lb propane cylinders from the scrap yard. Only problem is they don't have valves.
    Some crack head removed the OPD valves.
    Oh well. 4 tanks for less than $20 + 4 valves for less than $70. Means I can't complain too much. I think I will have nine 20lb tanks when when these tanks are put into service.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

On the phone so I'm not going to post a link but Amazon has them just do a search for 1 lb propane brass cap. I got several pages of results ranging from 1 to 8 cap bundles.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Especially if you refill your own it is really worth it

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Bought mine from flee-bay from overseas ..
    Thanks , Im LPG good

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I got 3 more of those valveless tanks for $4 each this time.
    Found a place that will fill 20lb tanks for $13 each.
    So for less than $35 I can get my self a full 20lb tank.
    I had a collection of non opd valves that I stuck on valve less tanks and exchanged them at walmart, but those got used up quick.
    I will see if I can off load some for $50 each this summer just before peak BBQ season.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I like propane (natural not an option here) because you can store a bunch of energy for a long time. We use about 300 gals/yr for stove and hot water. Have a 15,000BTU wall heater that gets used rarely.

Got a 500gal underground tank, and two more 500gal above ground tanks for reserve. Got dozen 100lb tanks (23gal) and probably 8-10 20lb tanks.

Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Dang ,, and I thought I was ,,, HumpH
    500gal underground tank plus 2 above ,, Im adding

oldawg likes this.
  17. 3cyl

3cyl Monkey+++

They don't care if they have valves installed or not

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I will give it a try.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Some places yes, others do care. Don't bother going to any gas company location, for example....none of them will fill it. Independent places are a bit more lenient.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I go to a place ran by some Hispanics, they will fill anything.
    Anything...
    I have seen them fill some really sketchy tanks.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Hillbilly549
  2. Kavode
  3. T. Riley
  4. Southbound
  5. oil pan 4
  6. Tempstar
  7. Motomom34
  8. Tyler Danann
  9. Gator 45/70
  10. hank2222
  11. vegasrandall