The Yurt

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Clyde, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

This is oncept I researched as part of my "immediate self-sufficiency program" that could be implemented and completely finished as a backwoods perma-tent retreat. Since I live in Suburbia, I approached this as "I have $35,000 for land and building" and how can I get the most for an immediate retreat.

I am still intrigued by this concept. Here is a pic of a yurt and a link to a yurt manufacturer for more information:
    13_gallery_lrg_162.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I've stayed in a Yurt in GA. Was like a house inside.

I think a few would question the 'defensibility' of the big tent though.

I think it would make a great Vacation structure on some land. Has possibities for sure.

3. Clyde

I was not considering this to be a defensible "home" structure. I have a 5 & 3 year old who would not be in a position to hike a great distance and tent camping in a michigan winter for more than a night would not be all that realistic. I was considering this as a short-term retreat for a smaller type disaster which could be about 1-2 hours from home. It is much easier to plan for a disaster/shtf situation when you have older kids who can carry their own weight. I would probably be wearing a 80lb back pack with a 50lb and 35lb kid strapped onto it somehow after the first mile.

If built on the proper land using a non-white color , it could be way back in the woods and not be noticable. One of the smaller ones could be had for about 3000-5000 depending on how it could be well apportioned + a water well. This would allow one to have an immediate retreat that doesn't require tent camping. I don't like the fact that a simple knife is all that is needed to enter the building.

It is simply a permanent tent. My preference for a secure hideaway would be underground with all entrances/windows masked to look like they are part of the landscape.

4. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think you have the right idea Clyde, considering how you would use it. They are not cheap, but they are cozy, warm and dry. Not a bad option to consider.

Phishi

5. Clyde

Anyone thought of these?

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yes, I have, and haven't yet discarded the idea. It is going to depend on where I wind up two years hence. I think mine will be on a platform so I can put a garage in below. One difficulty is that such a thing would stand out when the MZBs show up a lootin'.

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Do you already have the land or are you looking to buy the land as well? The reaason I ask is that if you can find a piece of land that is well timbered and/or near some well timbered land that a farmer/rancher would like cleared to make it more useful to them then a more traditional log cabin could be built for the same price or less and if you had a couple extra backs to help out could be done pretty easily in say 14 to 21 days.

I know when I worked on the Fort Clatsop build we did 2 cabins, 2 rooms each, each cabin was IIRC 14' x 20' faceing each other across a 12' wide court yard with a log fireplace in one room and palacades conecting the cabins and a board and batton roof (plywood covered by felt then tin would be a LOT quicker and last for 100+ years). With a crew of 2 working about 14 days we got all the logs for the build cut, the area cleared, all materials in place, and some othe work done without even putting in very long days. Then had about 8 more folks come in to help on the building, which was slowed a fair bit by the film crew and producer but since it was on their dime that was ok, we then went to working about 10 hours a day 7 days a week and had the whole thing done right down to the mantle over the fireplace and flag pole.

Things went slower there than they could have because any time they were filming they didnt want chain saws used and didnt want the 4 wheeler bringing in logs and so on and we also were trying to make every thing look correct to period like cutting boards from logs to build doors and so on. We also didnt strip the bark from the logs though which would have added time but could be done by 1 person or several, just best done when freshly cut in growing season.

John and Geri McPhearson have a great book called 'How to Build This Log Cabin for $3,000' available at www.papiriewolf.net that shows how he built the cabin Geri uses as a work shop for leather work for around $3k. It is a very nice 2 story log cabin thats about 14' x 16' IIRC and on a modern foundation with a modern roof. The book is easy to follow and log building (traditionl log building, dont know a lot about the type Melbo dose) isnt exactly dificult, it just takes some work and some knowledge of simple tools includeing those for leverage and mechanical advantage unless you have some kind of a mini crain or gin truck to lift the logs.

The log buildings in my mind would be a lot better if at all an option since they are a lot more defensable and securable and since they are from natural materials dont tend to jump out and catch the eye that much either.

8. Clyde

MM

You make a pretty good point. I do know a woodend home would be a much better option than they yurt. The other type of home I like is a cordwood home. http://www.cordwoodmasonry.com/Cordwood.html and I really want to go to one of their workshops. I believe this type of home is easier for the average "non-home" home builder.

Clyde

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That could be another good option but truth be told the hardest part of log building is lifting and moveing the logs and if you have a truck or 4 wheeler to drag them to where you need them and 3-4 strong backs to lift them (one end at a time if needed) then that isnt to bad. To fit them you just set them in place and gigure out which way they will lay best then cut a notch in the bottom of the log to set onto the log below at each end and that can mostly be done with a chain saw. After you set it in place you drill a pilot hole and pound in a spike at the corners to make sure it cant move. Every thing is 'sloppy fit' and its fine to have nice big gaps between the logs, that is taken care of with the chinking and dobbing. Once the logs are in place then you go back and stick smaller stuff in the holes and nail or spike it in place, thats the chinking. Then you use chicken wire to cover the remaining small gaps and attach it with a few staples from a staple gun, you then put morter in on it and the chicken wire helps with holding in place and together while it dries as well as strengthening it once dried, thats called daubing.

When we went to work on the project out there John and Geri were the only ones with any experience in building log cabins and 10 of us still did it in about 10 days once materials were at hand.

Not trying to say its the only way to go or anything but dont look away from it by believing theres anything complicated or hard about it, its just some grunt labor and VERY basic construction skills, like at the level that if you couldnt do it from a skill stand point with the book then you wouldnt stand a chance at building a dog house from plywood and cut lumber.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7