Second Amendment They’re Coming For Your Ammo

Discussion in 'Bill of Rights' started by Yard Dart, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Remember Martin O’Malley’s “military ammunition” statement during the Democratic debate? There was a reason for the exaggerated remark.

Gun control advocates throughout the country are increasingly urging Democratic lawmakers to pass legislation to make it harder for American gun owners to acquire ammunition for their firearms.

In California, Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom is currently running a statewide ballot campaign to require background checks for all ammo purchases.

“Why is it that we have background checks for guns but not background checks for ammunition? It makes no sense,” Newsom said recently at a press conference in San Francisco.

“California can set the tone for the rest of the nation with these common-sense public safety provisions,” he said. “We will lead the nation. We’ll be the only state in America that has background checks on point-of-sale purchases of ammunition.”

His proposal would mandate point of sale background checks for all ammunition and also ban magazines with more than a 10-round capacity.

A similar law for ammo background checks is already on the books in New York, but was suspended by the state’s governor in July because of its ineffectiveness.

Newsom says his state will make it work.

“New York tried. California will be the first to do it,” he said. “California will step up and step into this debate in a meaningful way. And I’ll say this to the NRA with all due respect that you can intimidate politicians — we’ve seen them. But you can’t intimidate the public. That’s why we’re bringing this directly to the public.”

Cracking down on ammo sales is a high priority for gun control advocates because ammunition isn’t as ubiquitously protected by the 2nd Amendment as the firearms in which it’s used.

“A focus on ammunition wouldn’t infringe on the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Instead, it would guarantee the protection of those rights — while saving many lives,” a top Brady Campaign official said.

Gun rights groups disagree.

“[Newsom’s] ballot initiative proposal does nothing but prohibit access to the most effective methods for self-defense, with no measurable positive effect on stopping crime or improving public safety,” National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action spokeswoman Amy Hunter said. “They can’t repeal the Second Amendment, so they’re trying to chip away our rights until there is nothing left.”
    They can't take your guns, so they're coming for your ammo - Personal Liberty®

How is your ammo supply.... get to work if it is not where you want it to be!!

2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I wondered how long it would take for the concept of starving the guns of ammo to really take hold and by calling it "military ammo" plays to those who buy into the lib media’s "gun violence" line of crap.
    Some countries already ban any caliber used by their military for civilian sales which is why .38 super is popular in central American countries.
    It is a back door way of skirting the second amendment but then again most of the gun grabbers like the back door.
    @Yard Dart "How is your ammo supply.... get to work if it is not where you want it to be!!"
    Well stated.
    Save your brass and buy powder,primers and bullets, even if you don't reload save them and pass on to others who do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

We can see them coming from miles away. So predictable, too. As for Commiefornia, there's not much left in that communist State that is legal anymore. Just as corporations have taken over this nation, their policies are the footprints left behind for everybody to stare at awkwardly and hypothesize just how incredibly stupid they must really think we are.

The NRA and liberty lovers across the nation will fight the despotic morons, and with any luck, we should pull out of this without it turning violent. But, since these communists really are taking every opportunity to thwack at the hornet's nest --it's quite possible they are going to get a rude awakening sooner or later. Molon Labe, bitches.

4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My state will fall shortly after California. Fortunately I've been preparing for a long time. I figured out long ago that ammunition and reloading components would become the new gold some day. My two favorite colors these days are Dillon blue and LC brass yellow.

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ammo controls were tried back in the 70s during the Carter administration on a nationwide basis. When you purchased ammo, you had to enter into a log book type and quantity purchased, name and address and your id (driver's license number).

This nonsense was dropped a few years later because it was so totally ineffective and useless as far as solving any crimes. The communists in California know this. But they're going to do anything to make it such a pain in the ass to be a gun owner, that they figure people will get disgusted with all the roadblocks and simply give them up.

If I know gun owners, communists have another thing coming.

6. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I can make my own bullets, but making my own brass, good smokeless powder and primers is a bit out of my capabilities at the moment...so I've started stacking those items along with everything else.

7. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The Mr. had reloading equipment but apparently his ex has it now. Which means it's probably rotting in a landfill somewhere. I have never messed with reloading though it's been on my list for years, one of those things I always push back and just buy more ammo. I'm sure he'll have an opinion on what to get but does anyone on here have any suggestions as far as a complete kit I can just go pick up? I don't even know the right question to ask here.

Gator 45/70, kellory and Ganado like this.
  8. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

So they tax hell out of the ammunition, reloading equipment, bullets, cases, powder and primers to the extent where you have to be Donald trump to afford to purchase it.

I wish to ask Mr. Newsome.... If a person cannot pass a background check for a firearm and can get one by alternate means, what makes you think that a background check will stop them from getting ammunition for their illegally acquired firearm?

10. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Not only that, but what criminal is going to go to all the trouble to learn reloading skills, purchase the equipment and components, and then expend the effort and take the time required to actually load his own ammunition? Most of them would probably blow themselves up if they tried.

Attacking those who reload their own ammo has absolutely nothing to do with trying to stop crime. It has everything to do with hatred toward legitimate firearms owners, because most are fairly conservative politically. Make no mistake about it, hand loaders are on their radar.

11. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

It's a shame our country has gotten in the shape its in . If only we could go back to my youth when every thing was so much better. You could buy ammo and guns any where. My father gave me a .22pistol when I was about 9 , i would walk two miles to a little cross roads store and get a box of .22 ammo on Saturday and stay in the woods all day. That gun has never killed anyone neither have I. It's not the guns ,it's the way parents raise their kids.

d-m-d, 3M-TA3, Altoidfishfins and 8 others like this.
  12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

@BTPost I have been reading the Heller decision, as I have time. I have not yet found the clause you mentioned concerning ammo being protected under 2A, as well as the arms. Perhaps you could provide links? I would like to read the language for myself.

13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

They want sum......I got sum.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

The Heller decision is about functionality. A gun cant function without bullets. Half of the written opinion is Justice Breyer trying to make a moral case for his desenting opinon in favor of a non usable weapon.

(Slip Opinion)
    OCTOBER TERM, 2007 1
    Syllabus
    NOTE: Where it is feasible, a syllabus (headnote) will be released, as is
    being done in connection with this case, at the time the opinion is issued.
    The syllabus constitutes no part of the opinion of the Court but has been
    prepared by the Reporter of Decisions for the convenience of the reader.
    See
    United States
    v.
    Detroit Timber & Lumber Co.,
    200 U. S. 321, 337.
    SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
    Syllabus
    DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
    ET
    AL
    v
    . HELLER
    CERTIORARI TO THE UNITED STATES COURT OF APPEALS FOR
    THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA CIRCUIT
    No. 07–290. Argued March 18, 2008—Decided June 26, 2008
    District of Columbia law bans handgun possession by making it a crime
    to carry an unregistered firearm and prohibiting the registration of
    handguns; provides separately that no person may carry an unli-
    censed handgun, but authorizes the police chief to issue 1-year licenses; and requires residents to keep lawfully owned firearms unloaded and dissembled or bound by a trigger lock or similar device.
    Respondent Heller, a D. C. special policeman, applied to register a handgun he wished to keep at home, but the District refused. He filed this suit seeking, on Second Amendment grounds, to enjoin the city from enforcing the bar on hand gun registration, the licensing requirement insofar as it prohibits carrying an unlicensed firearm in the home, and the trigger-lock requirement insofar as it prohibits the
    use of functional firearms in the home. The District Court dismissed
    the suit, but the D. C. Circuit reversed, holding that the Second Amendment protects an individual’s right to possess firearms andthat the city’s total ban on handguns, as well as its requirement that firearms in the home be kept nonfunctional even when necessary for self-defense, violated that right.

Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Yes, I've read, and am rereading, both the actual legal bumph and the rerwite for dummies. The nonfunctional part pertains to disassembly and trigger locks. @BTPost mentioned "and since a gun without ammo is just a clumsy club, ammo is also covered by 2A." I would like to read that portion of the opinion/decision.

Ganado likes this.
  16. chimo

If throwing the gun at the monsters is good enough for Steve McQueen and other horror movie actors, it should be good enough for us!

cept it never seems to work out well for them either....

Ganado likes this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Kellory, Is correct, in that Ammunition is covered under the 2nd Amendment, as an integral PART, of the Weapon. No Ammunition, then it can not "Function" as a FireArm, and becomes the same as any other object, thrown in self-defense. All this BS, about "Safe Storage" that is being talked about, and legislated, these days, like Mandatory LockBoxes, and Trigger Locks, is in violation of Heller vs DC. Yes, you can find a Person guilty, of Negligence, in Storage of a FireArm, but you can NOT pass a Law that Mandates LockBoxes, and Trigger Locks, according to the findings in Heller vs DC.... and McDonald vs Chicago states that Heller vs DC is the "Law of the Land, everywhere in and on US Territory, PERIOD. The Antis would like to "Split Hairs" and all that, but Heller is quite emphatic about what is the LAW, inside ones Home, or Domicile.

d-m-d, Gator 45/70, HK_User and 3 others like this.
  18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I am not sure about "emphatic", but it is very clear.

Too bad none of it matters. Criminals do not obey the "law"...and at current date, the highest concentration of criminals are in government.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  19. duane

duane Monkey+++

Raised in Minn and in the 1940,s the local hardware store sold individual 22 shells for a penny each to us kids that couldn't come up with a quarter. At 10 years old I had a 22 of my own and hunted all the time. In rural Minn at the time if a farmer saw me on his land, the usual comments were, "Any luck?" or "There is a bunch of rabbits down in the slew that need to be thinned out." I also made pocket money trapping pocket gophers and rats and the rural one room grade school I went to had a designated place to leave your gun in the coat room as they took for granted that during hunting season you would bring one with you as you walked to school.

With my usual paranoid attitude, I have the old Lee hand loaders for each of my bolt action rifles. Usually pick up 30-30 or 30-06 ones at flea markets or gun shops for $10 or less. They do not use a press and only resize the neck and work best if you reshoot the case in the same rifle. Cheap, dirty, not the best ammo, but they go boom and are effective. Have the Lee molds for 30-06 and such and a bucket of wheel weights. Shoot those lead rounds and the hand reloads in the old rifle the ODM gave me when I was in high school and on the school rifle team.

1000 rifle primers, wheel weights, a couple pounds of 4895 powder and you have a lot of survival ammo in a small space. If you want to be real technical and anal, you can get a Lee gizmo to trim the cases to the correct length.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  20. chimo

So we basically have criminals passing new wacky laws that only serve to create new criminals from formerly law-abiding citizens. Pretty soon we'll all be freakin criminals.

Brokor and Ganado like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. duane
  4. Matei
  5. OldDude49
  6. oil pan 4
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Yard Dart
  10. hot diggity
  11. Coyote Ridge