Things may be getting a bit hectic

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Aug 31, 2005.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Gallon of gas in Atlanta=$5.99

My father got a call from a friend that has a chain of Gas stations TN. He was told they would be out of fuel by tonight and that his distributors had no resupply schedule right now.

My area saw a run on gas stations and by 6:30PM Est, more than half of my stations were out of gas. Price ranged from $2.59 to $3.26. I grabbed 150 Gallons of Diesel and filled up our gassers and have another 50 gallons stored.

There will be some pissed off folks tomorrow when they find no gas at all. I think they may hit the Grocery after that. The lack of Oil supply, Oils entry in the the Gulf of Mexico, and the refineries that are down may mean that we see no more gas for a few weeks. I heard that 20 Offshore rigs were missing, damaged or adrift in the Gulf right now. I don't know what happed to LOOP.

These things make me nervous as hell. Small tremors but could lead to other frenzys...

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I smell the fecal mater flying right for the oscelateing wind creation device with this... Gas prices jumping could forseeably create enouph of a problem but it not even being there... no gas means no goods to the stores, if theres also no desil even for the suppliers it means the trains cant run to get coal to the power plants, no gas in cop cars, fire trucks, or EMS vehicles...the list goes on and not a pretty picture, and even if they are able to resuply if its that limited I could well see it being priced out of reach. Not good...

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Nope, not good at all. Scary in fact. I'm definitely going to limit my driving to work and back - nothing more. I can hit the grocery store going or coming and not be out of the way one bit. Might mean doing a lot less but with all this going on I think it might be for the best.

Really going to lay in on some needed items (got a bunch of basics but other things would be good).

4. monkeyman

Not to mention that if you can still get it make sure you get enouph gas in cans to fill the vehicle and get out of dodge if needed, in case things get ugly and the gas cant be bought.
    I need to look into setting up a still and brewing some fire water to pour in the gas tank, have heard it will work and may soon be the only way I can afford to drive.

5. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

If this turns a little bad for a few weeks, I think our terrorist friends will have garnered some valueable information about our vulnerability. Their ultimate goal is to see the downfall of our economy and way of life. So, if fuel prices rocket and supply is extremely limited, all they need to do is figure out where these pipelines come from and attack them. If they did a coordinated attack in multiple spots, they could bring our economy to a halt.

6. monkeyman

Not only our economy but our nation as a whole. No lights, no way of feeding the cities, no lights = no water in most areas..... Take away all the gas, incldeing desil, and we become a third world country in a matter of weeks. A friend of mine on Backwoods Home Magazines forum wrote a TEOTWAWKI story based on the premis that gas had gotten scarce and the stuff rang true, though he left it a bit nice IMO. Lets all hope this gets cleared up QUICK and make sure contingency plans are in place in case they dont.

7. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

How's things out there today???? :?:

Lot's of "doomers" saying this is the "shtf" :( , "teotwawki" :cry: , "fubar" :shock: .... you know... general panic stuff.... :eek: [peep]

Gold's up $9 the last I checked..... Markets don't know what to do.... flight to hard assets..... we'll see.... 8)

Interesting times..... 8)

8. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I figure it'll get worse for awhile then things will start to even back out. It's happened before, it'll happen again. I'm not sure it's a worse case scenario "just yet" in most areas. Which is not to say that it's not bad in a lot of areas.

monkeyman makes a valid point for a lot of places back east anyway (for cities and the like). Out here we don't get our electricity from coal and such, we get it from water for the most part...we fear drought more than we fear loss of coal (though we need oil and the like to maintain everything). So we've got our own set of problems if we lose gas, oil, etc. (coal would not be anything we'd worry about).

We do live in interesting times and this is the wrong time of year for this to be happening. It's the beginning of September guys and gals...winter is just a hop, skip and a jump away. For those in the southern climate that isn't all that bad, but like minuteman said, it's oil, gas, and coal that fuels the north over on the east coast - winter is not kind there.

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I hadn't even thought of heating Oil TLynn, might want to find a cheap wood stove if you don't have one. I think long term buys are better in times like this than Generators and fuel storage.

A lot of people dismissed the Doom and Gloom of Katrina's track. They were wrong and I hope the folks saying that we are overreacting are also wrong.

10. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Most of this ha not effected us down here.......unleaded just hit $1.40 a litre today. Jumped 15c overnight. We are just getting bent over by the oil companies using the Katrina thing as an excuse.

Andy [beer]

11. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Maybe when they get their first heating oil bill that's twice what they paid last winter, they can have "Beat A Treehugger Day", where they can thank the environmentalists properly for the mess they have gotten us in. No new refineries built in 20 years, and they only let us drill off half of 0one of our three coasts.

12. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

There is a lot of truth in that Ghost.Treehuggers are responsible for a fair share of the higher price of oil.I have been in the oil business almost thirty years now and I don't know anyone in it who wants to intentionally damage the environment that we all live in.

But the problem is that all the new laws and regulations are passed by these greenpeace,PC, idiots that don't have a clue how the industry works.And they won't listen to us because we are the evil oilmen.

They come up with some of the most asinine laws that don't do one thing other than to make them feel good.

When I started in the business the farmers used to come and collect the excess drilling mud when we were finished with it.It is water with bentonite,lignite and barite mixed in to give it viscosity and wieght.Crushed rocks!!And just enough caustic soda to raise the ph level.The farmers would spray it on thier fields to increase thier crop yield.It would add nitrates to the soil and raise the ph level.Now it is considered the same as toxic waste.It has to be trucked off and "environmentally disposed of.The earth pits we used to dig to hold it in are no longer allowed.We now have to have metal tanks or line any earth pit with heavy gauge plastic and dispose of any soil contaminated with the "mud".

The Exxon Valdez spill showed to us in the industry just how far removed from reality these types are.And unfortunately our political leaders are even worse.
    After the tanker ran aground and caused a major oil spill,what was the cry?We have to ban drilling in Alaska!Lets put that in terms anyone can understand.

You have a farmer who grows tomatos.He hires a trucking company to truck his tomatos to market.The driver is drinking and has bad brakes on his truck and ends up turning over in the middle of the interstate.Spilling tomatos across all four lanes.It is a terrible mess and takes a lot of time and money to clean it up.Nobody wants tomatos being spilled on our highways anymore so what do we do to prevent it?The treehuggers solution is to tell the farmer you have to stop growing tomatos!! :eek: They don't go to the trucking industry and want laws making trucks safer and better training and screening for drivers.Lets make that evil farmer stop growing tomatos.

The drilling and production industry averaged only one oil spill per decade in the 90s and that rate is nearly up to one in every 2 decades now.When oil is free flowing in an uncontrolled manner it is the most dangerous thing that can happen on a rig.The oil is flowing because natural gas is pushing it out of the ground.One spark and a multi-million dollar piece of equipment and dozens of lives are gone in a ball of flame.I am required to attend well control school every other year and maintain a valid certificate.Oil doesn't come "up like a bubbling crude" or "gush" over the top of the rigs like in old movies.The last thing any oilman wants to see is an uncontrolled flow of oil.That is really a SHTF scenario.

OK. [rnt]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7