This is what is coming when the SHTF...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Clyde, Feb 5, 2008.

1. MbRodge

MbRodge Monkey+++

It's simple really, you see if WE banded together and formed a group for mutual protection we would be "supremacists." THEY, on the other hand, banded together only to survive the relentless onslaught by the white man against their "culture."

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Well that and to protect them in the inner city from the othe groups that had banded together. Thats something else I figure would be a problem in a large scale long term situation. People will band together for safety/protection, member of group A wanders to the wrong place/time and may be trying to get something for nothing or may JUST be wrong place wrong time and member of group B shoots him maybe from nerves and jumping the gun ormaybe justified, group A goes after that guy and you have a war started. OR group As storage area with their supplies burns down, groups around them are running slim or are indiffrent, group A, though basicly decent folks, can no longer take watching their children starve knowing groups B and C have full stores and since the crops wont come in for months, critters are scarce and their trade goods burned with their supplies and they cant get food otherwise, so they raid groups B and/or C to feed their kids. OR group A over estimated hom much food they could grow on their land and how well game would hold out so there winds up being 'turf wars' for hunting grounds and crop land. If your thinking of public/park lands for retreats then the last as well as simply multiple groups haveing scoped out the same dirt many times over.

Basicly even without the gang bangers, I figure that most areas will have their own 'gangs' and gang wars in any long term SHTF and national park lands and such will be worse than the inner city with everyone jumping into turf wars for who gets that land and its resourcs.

3. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

well what i really enjoyed and hope they continue to do is put their fingers on the triggers of their loaded weapons[beer] lets cheer them on they should thin out quicker that way.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

You really need to come out and see the Vast land here,some of the most rugged in the world. Try Hells Canyon in July. Or the Rockies 8k to 11k mountains.the Blues, the Elk horns, Saw tooths, Eagle caps.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I sudenly feel completely undergunned...
    " mofo gonna kill my a**".

6. monkeyman

Yeah but look around at a lot of the boards some time of the folks who plan to BO. Especialy the newer folks to survival and the most militant ones generaly sem to plan to BO to national parks and especialy in the NW. Figure that the city folks who arent overly aggressive but just want to survive after the food runs out will also mostly be headed for state and national parks and public lands. I just figure that if you dump the contents of several major metro areas (even just the small percentage who survive to get there) into the public lands then it would all of a sudden be a lot less vast. Then I have also heard a LOT of folks mention buying land that butts up to public lands so that if SHTF they will just claim a nice chunk of it to add to what they have.

I know there are millions of acres up there alone but how many people are in JUST Portland and the other major cities along the north west? If only 1 million survive from all the NW cities/towns combined and try to claim plots of say 100 acres each (lots of them would be likely to try to claim a LOT more but just to low ball it) then add say 5,000 folks who boarder the lands extending their back yard by 100 acres each and you are already up to 100,500,000 acres. Thats not even counting all the folks from the other parts of the country I have heard say they PLAN to head there if SHTF and claim portions of the public lands.

Then there is also a lot smaller portion of the land in the rest of the country thats public land so they would fill up from locals quicker yet. I could just see a LOT of folks trying to claim a limited ammount of ground and fighting over who has the 'right' to it not to mention locals who just dont want it to get claimed by anybody due to not wanting the neighbors or whatever.

I COULD be wrong (it happened once before when I thought I was mistaken[lolol]) but its just something I see as a likely issue in a long term TEOTWAWKI situation especialy for any of the habitable or useful land, not likely so much for Death Valley for instance but I see Yellow Stone for instance getting flooded in the first year of a total collapse.

7. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

When (yes unfortunately I said when) The SHTF I am personally gonna go bunker down somewhere near the US border. Preferably near Idaho, now theres a place where everyone knows how to shoot, who to trust and are probably all good people. The downside is that I have to go through Vancouver, BC to get there... which is full of these guys, and their banana skinned brothers. its okay, I know a few guys who will convoy with me (in my POS 1990 Beemer) through the place. It'll be like a hunting rifle drive by. Only we'll actually connect with every target.

The nice thing about living in a place with strict gun laws is that if they are carrying and dont look right, then they are probably criminals. And then its time to take the ammo right outta their pants pockets as you drive on by.

8. brotherpoop

brotherpoop Monkey+++

I don't remember which sniper it was in Vietnam but he took out a couple Vietcong who had just popped out of a spider hole. Others kept popping their head out of a spider hole as the preceding Vietcong fell back inside with a head shot. When it was over I think there was about 9 kills they confirmed.

The spotter said the shooter put his face down and appeared to be crying. He cradled his face and his whole body shook. It had been quite unbelievable, 9 kills; the spotter reflected on what he had just been a part of.

Slowly the shooter pulled his face up and he had tears rolling down them, but he wasn't crying, he was laughing. He looked over at the spotter and said, "Those are the dumbest son's of biches I've ever seen."

Coyotes have more brains to survive than that pack of wild dogs I watched on the video. I doubt many have military training and can hit anything with the rifles. Just leave some of them as boundary makers like the planet of the apes. They'll figure it out. "It be best we go round this area and look for easy pickins elsewhere."

I plan on getting mighty ruthless with the lawless. It will be hell on earth.

9. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

I'm going to have to disagree but agree with you. I was contemplating to sell my house and take my equity and outright buy a home with acreage in southern Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee or somewhere around that area. However, the major factor that effected my decision to not do so was I asked myself where is the majority of the nations population. Well it's not west of the Rocky Mts. As much as I'd like to actually own my land and house, what you speak of is why I didn't consider moving. Oregon's population is just over 3 1/2 million that is less than most major cities population.

We have a large base of publicly owned lands most of it is owned by the federal government. Between the BLM and US Forest Service they own about 53% of the 61 million acres in this state. State and local governments own about 3% of the state. So the taxpayers manage more than 1/2 of the land here.

According to the Census Bureau Census 7/1/06 we have almost 300 million people in this country. The Western Region has almost 70 million, the South has 109 million, the Midwest has 66 million and the Northeast has 54 million.

The West includes Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Hawaii, Idaho, Mont., Nev., N.M., Ore., Utah, Wash., and Wyo. With that in mind the West has less than 25% of the nations population. I'll take my chances with the small percentage of the nations population that is over here. The rest of you guys are screwed because all them folks have to travel through your area to get to us. Our major concern will be those who migrate from California, where a large majority of the West's population resides. However, San Francisco is a little over 550 miles away from me, with Los Angeles being about 900 miles away. By the time they could get here, I'd be long gone.

Considering just the acreage in this state alone and not taking into account the other western states. There are 70 million people in the Western Region and 61 million acres in Oregon, that's just a little over an acre per person if all the folks in the West migrated to Oregon. Thinking of getting out of the Midwest yet. There's plenty of room over here west of the Rocky Mts. [booze]

10. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Oh yeah, forgot to mention we get about 30"-35" of rain. There is an abundance of fresh water sources and most of the dirt here is fertile. You can grow just about anything here, well at least here in the western part of the state. The eastern part of the state might require irrigation depending on where you are located.

11. monkeyman

I definatly agre that it has its up sides to the area of the country up there. It also would most likely not be nearly as bad being butted up to public lands there as say being next to public lands here in the midwest or other areas where its not as plentiful. I still figure it is a flip side to the same coin though. Kind of like haveing a big warehouse full of food that everyone knows is there. Its clearly a good thing that you have it but since everyone knows its there it comes with the down side that when you need it the worst everyone else needs it to and knows you have it so they are likely to head your way to get it.

Like you say theres a bit less (your stats of 70M peopleand 61M acres say less so figure the more was a typo) than 1 acre for each person just in the west. You figure that inorder to scrape out a liveing on a farm traitional size was usualy 80 acres (at least around here) for a family of usualy around 10 or less. So if you figure you could cut that in half thats still about 4 acres per person NEEDED and most will WANT more than they NEED, so bump it back up to the 8. That now means theres only the land available for about 10% of the folks in that region and then you add all the folks from the south and east who know of the NW as the area of expansive land and land that no one owns at that (or that they own as a tax payer) and so they feel entitled to.

Im not JUST talking the NW though, I figure it will happen all over especialy around any of the significant chunks of public lands. The little known plots of 40-200 acres are not likely to be as bigof a problem.

I just see a huge refugee situation where folks from over populated areas try to get to someplace where they can feed and shelter themselves and refugees who have a sence of entitlement that at the LEAST wil have them figureing any public land they see is theirs if they want it and say so and many are likely to try the same with any patch of dirt where they cant see a house, some even will figure you owe them your house but those will be the first ones weeded out after the pasifists who agree with them.

12. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

The West includes Alaska, Ariz., Calif., Colo., Hawaii, Idaho, Mont., Nev., N.M., Ore., Utah, Wash., and Wyo
    There are 70 million people in the Western Region

61 million acres in Oregon alone not including the above, that's just a little over an acre per person if all the folks in the Western Region 12 Sates total. migrated to Oregon.
    With a couple of weeks most will be a memory trying to make it out here.
    Then the First winter will take the next big pile of them.
    We are small communities that will band together and we hunt and shoot all time almost year Around and kill animals at long range as compared to most of the state's. I say bring them on, I will enjoy the show.
    Ask Melbo what he thinks of our area.[beer]

13. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I need more ammo.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Me, too. Just have to have the fan hitting wait another 6 months so I can get re-located and start adding to the stash.

15. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Haha Love this one E.L.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Just dabbling here but aren't alot of our nps and forest's designated "biological diversity zones" (or something like that under control of some U.N. treaty? what effect will that control take???) international troops "protecting" the forest from citizens???

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Bring on the smurfs, that could be fun. [beer]

18. badkarma

badkarma ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

i'm pretty sure those guys would expend their entire 13 round ammo dump in one small burst shooting each other in the backs while running with their fingers on the triggers at the first hint of resistance. i'm surprised someone wasn't killed during the filming.

if guys like that try to force their way onto my property...i hope i'm still young enough to enjoy it.

the funniest part was the guy talking about palm beach county " act like you know what time it is"...as he tries to rack the shoulder piece on the underfolder by mistake.....

19. New Jersey Man

New Jersey Man Monkey++

Who cares what they call us? After the breakdown you'll be glad you're with others. And besides what are they going to do? Nothing of course as they don't want the sheeple to realize a breakdown is coming.

20. jpwilhelm

jpwilhelm Monkey++

try living less than a mile from the detroit boarder. Trying to get out of here as fast as I can. But it isnt as easy as it once was to pack up and go now that I am married with 2 kids. I have lived all over the US and the detroit area is the worst place I have ever been. I do have lots of ammo, I started stocking up when a guy tried to shoot me with his 9 for my car. Good thing he did not know how to hold a gun (he had the gun sideways almost upside down hehe), the bullet hit my trunk instead of my head when I took off. I circled back around to run him over or pin him on the wall with my car, but he was not there, I guess he ran like they always do.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7