This is what is coming when the SHTF...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Clyde, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To my mind, you should be shy. It is one thing to talk about it here among like minded folks, and with the anonymity of the internet. It's another thing entirely to advertise publically. That said, you sorta indicated that when they ALL come knocking for supplies and succor, you won't be there. Good plan, that --

[coffee2]

2. Jayde

Jayde Monkey++

I'm starting to see the value in that! Actually, I don't talk about it with a lot of people - most of the people who know are like-minded, at least they claim to be...

It's more just when people are visiting and they see the 5L of peroxide and 3 boxes of N95 masks in my bathroom, or the shelf full of instant noodles and MREs in the kitchen. Tends to raise a few questions, and if they ask, I tell 'em!

3. ghrit

I can see right away that you need a storage bin someplace other than the first floor apartment. (Or stack it in the bedroom and close the bleeping door.) Caching is (or should be) on your agenda, not buried necessarily, but someplace "close enough."

Not :lol: about this, you do sound vulnerable. So far as those folks that say they are preppers, I'd be inclined to snoop in their kitchen cabinets and bath room next time you are there. See if they really are --

[ghrit]

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Be careful! You may run into someone like me, who - if I think you're snooping where you don't belong - will set the old marble booby trap in the cupboard. Never fails! :D

5. ghrit

Har, har. I KNOW about how you function --. (I'll have a chemical mask and hard hat on, don't cha know---)

[rofllmao]

6. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Prepare the following sign:

IF YOU HAVE BEEN CONTAMINATED
    BY THE TOXINS IN THIS AREA
    GO AT ONCE TO THE NEAREST HOSPITAL
    EMERGENCY ROOM
    DO NOT DELAY
    YOU WILL DIE WITHOUT PROPER TREATMENT
    Put it at the entrance to your property when TSHTF.​

7. ghrit

And perchance that toxin might be lead poisoning? (But I do like the idea --)[gone]

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Like the song..... Head west.......[chopper]

9. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Exactly. ;) IMO the thread here about fighting off the barbarians in a SHTF situation has been a bit unrealistic. Consider a few points:

Remember that criminals are good at surprise. Look at the reports of home invasions and prepare for something like that, but with no hope of rescue by the authorities.

The best place to be in a gunfight is somewhere else. Get into a gunfight and there is always a chance that you could get shot. In a SHTF situation there will be no reliable ambulance service or medical treatment. Prepare warning systems that tell you if someone is entering you property. If you and your family have a line of retreat, take it. If you can safely stay concealed, do that. If not, hope you have more firepower than them and good luck.

If you can, pick the leader and shoot to wound. Nothing discourages a group of punks like seeing their fearless leader who was talking trash a minute ago down on the ground and screaming for his mommy.

Clyde, it would be a really good idea to talk things over with your family now.

10. ghrit

Bear in mind that SHTF comes in various grades. For example, city dwellers might be faced with rioting and may have a back door to an alley that is not under attack that can be used for bugging out. Us country mice have to deal with the isolation we sought and found. Whichever, there is no hope of any sort of "help" in a timely manner, you are on your own. Here, the nearest deputy is at least 10 miles away, and the roads are not fast. Lead poisoning is the prescribed toxic, and shoot to wound is NOT. I can't imagine the gang not getting excited about a downed leader that is not moving or making a sound, and while consternation and confusion reigns among the gang, take a couple others with him (assuming you can maintain your cool.) (BTW, I'd take the nearest first, armed or not. Seldom will that one be the team captain.) Not to mention he won't be around to collect off your insurance and retirement, nor testify at trial. Better 6 for him than 12 for you.

As I (and others) have said, each situation is unique, and preparation for various scenarios is the order of the day, month, and year, and will vary with seasons as well. Retreat hell, I have no duty to bail out (easy to say, I live alone.) Not me, not from here, not for other than fire that I can't fight myself.

But that is all me and my sit. [ghrit]

11. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Ghrit, you've got True Grit (as the Duke would say). ;)

12. ghrit

More balls than common sense, maybe. (And I have no idea who said that first.) That said, day to day assessment of the situation is required. The free exchange of ideas, particularly on this forum, made me aware of that. As of today, that is my position, and just having said so means I need to rethink it. Rigidity of thought is fatal.

[beer][booze][ghrit]

13. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

You just gotta love Texas. Kinda like that here in Az. too. At least up here in the mountains and rural areas

14. oscar615

oscar615 Monkey+++

Does anyone have a link to the video in the OP? It seems to have been removed.

15. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Warning: Video has unsuitable content for Work/Children

I went back and could not find the original video. This version is about 10 times more tamed down.

*****Warning******: Contains significant vulgar language, violence, and will make you think what might be coming your way when the big cities go down. The point behind reposting this is to show that there are gangs with allegiances to each other who will do whatever they need to survive...and they have guns, ammo, and drugs to help them get their way.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3zcrrutoVs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/K3zcrrutoVs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. Nadja

Got a shotgun, rifle and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive. Hank Jr. made that one famous and it sure is true ain't it !

17. Nadja

That more then anything else to me is the right concept if you really want to survive. Nobody survives gunfight after gunfight except in the movies. Getting yourself full of lead is no way to take care of your family.

18. Clyde

Nadja,

I agree with your assessment. I have since headed west since this thread was started and am now a few thousand miles away from inner city detroit.

I believe in a total SHTF, all out collapse, that these types will be out there. If one lives near a major city with gun and drug problems, I concur that the best way is to be gone when they arrive. One can not 1 + a few kids with guns can not hold off the inner city gangs forever and death will come, but probably not swiftly.

I noticed this thread was started 2.5 years ago. Seems like yesterday, but I have since relocated. I love the fresh western mountain air and lack of humidity!

19. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

HAHAHA So damn true. These boys need to understand. . .we do things different out in the country.

20. Clyde

Yes, Falcon, I agree. The gang bangers choose the wrong place to enter, they lose their lives and no one bats an eye. It's community.

I do believe there will be many people living in neighborhoods, caught off guard and woefully unprepared for anything who will pay the price of these lowlifes. Food, rape, pillage, plunder will follow to those "left behind".

EL's story is how it will work in many rural areas where outsiders of any kinds will not be accepted. And those who appear to be the dregs of society will be given warning shots at long distances with scoped rifles. These guys aren't used to scopes + rifles and accurate shooters out 400 - 600 yards. Bravado does end when your have your friends brain matter spattered across you cheeks.

That is about all the typing time I have, Stella #4 is calling me!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7