This SHTF of which you speak

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by DarkLight, Mar 8, 2016.

Tags:
?
  1. A distinct event

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. A distinct event plus the aftermath

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. A period of time, leading up to and post "a very bad thing"

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. TEOTWAWKI/WROL/Mad Max

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. A slow, eroding of something or building to something

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  6. Any period of time where things aren't "normal"

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

A lot of times we refer to the feces impacting the rotary impeller but we do so in somewhat inconsistent ways. Sometimes it comes across as an event and sometimes the implication is that it's more of a time frame. So, the question I have is not so much "what is your trigger" as what are you definitions of SHTF?

Do you see it as an event, fixed in time and space?
    Do you include the aftermath/fallout/repercussions of the event?
    Do you subscribe to the protracted "slow motion train-wreck" school of thought?

What is SHTF? Again, not a specific event, but your definition/criteria that categorizes...whatever.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A very good question. What are you preparing for is the same type of question. Very focusing of thoughts.

Aeason and DarkLight like this.
  3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I voted TEOTWAWKI/WROL/Mad Max as one choice, and Any period of time where things aren't "normal" as the other....the latter being the usual local/regional/national economic and societal collapses that we've experienced throughout the history of human civilization. The latter is what most of us will likely encounter in our lifetimes...but of course we also have to prep for the former.

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I view The Great Depression as a period of time leading up to a very bad thing. You can add WWI and WWII into that mix as well. Unless it is catastrophic, as in North Korea launching against the U.S., The eruption of a Super volcano, an asteroid impact, or some cataclysm resulting in another Ice Age; I see things going south slowly and people being lulled into thinking everything is OK when it is not. Pretty much the "How to capture wild pigs" scenario.

Aeason, DarkLight and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  5. Myself, I would like to know I would be able to provide for myself as well as others who may be in need. To be able to be self reliant on no one or anything should our nation/economy fail us. I would like to think I am able and willing to take all actions to protect not only myself but others who come to me for sanctuary. Should our economy/nation never fail, I will be better for what I am creating for myself. My paradise of peace and tranquility.

6. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

So far it looks like most people don't think of SHTF as a distinct "one and done" event (regardless of what the event is) but a period of time either culminating in or extending past an event.

Not just the impact, but the mess that has to be cleaned up afterwards as well and potentially the threat of said impact...to extend the metaphor.

Aeason likes this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

For many, SHTF when they loose a job... the house is in jeopardy and food on the table is a daily issue. There is a safety net for those kinds of things. There are many gov and non-governmental agencies to provide assistance... outside of your family and local church resources. So in general, SHTF for you today.... but maybe you just need to batten down the hatches, research and reach out to available resources that you can root out.

IMO, SHTF when shit really goes sideways. Solar flares, EMP by a hostile entity, that big volcano in my backyard and so on. What you do to prepare for those type of things, how you react while the event is taking place and more so.. how one recovers and moves on with LIFE.

8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

SHTF is such an imprecise term that its meaning can best be sensed from the context within which it is used. To one person, SHTF might be completing a bowel movement, and only then realising that there's no toilet paper at hand to finish the paper work with. To others it might be a planet killer asteroid hitting earth, to others it may be some greater or lesser events somewhere in between those extremes of the SHTF continuum.

SHTF in my view is an event, that is an imminent threat to one's life, limb, health and well being. Not being selected for "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?" is not a SHTF situation.

Witch Doctor 01, Aeason and Gray Wolf like this.
  9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

SHTF to me does not mean it slowly drips into the fan a few drops at a time over a long period of time!.

Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

SHTF to me is watching it all happen on CNN.... Just like I did on 9/11.... and if the SAT Tv goes down, I will listen to it all happen on HF radio....

Aeason and chelloveck like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Been in the works for the last 7 years..........

12. chelloveck

That sounds like a glacial load of S#!t on its way to hitting the fan at the bottom of a terminal moraine. ;)

Ganado, Aeason and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I refer it to President Pinocchio and his minions.

Tikka, Altoidfishfins and Aeason like this.
  14. chelloveck

Well, that glacier will melt after a few last moment Presidential pardons at the end of his term. When a new glacier will miraculously be manifested....

Aeason and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

You know, You may uncannily be correct !

Tikka and Aeason like this.
  16. chelloveck

I think that will be the sum of all fears here....including mine.....4-8 years of reprised bellyaching is not something that I look forward to.

Aeason and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

The length of SHTF is directly proportional to the amount of time that the fan runs and the available supply of manure.

Ganado, Aeason and mysterymet like this.
  18. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

As I understand it, there is no legal barrier to prevent Obummer from pardoning himself.

Aeason likes this.
  19. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

The problem with the last choice in the poll is this: How does one define "normal" these days?

Aeason likes this.
  20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well, the. Gov description of normal is "domestic terrorist"

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    GOG and Aeason like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Coyote Ridge