Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by RightHand, Sep 6, 2012.
Neat trick. (But my mailbox is plastic --)
Thanks RH. good idea I need to try.
That's awesome, RH! I just wouldn't want to go to sleep beside it... The BIG sleep from CO poisoning. I'd have to test it somehow.
Make absolutely sure that you do not use a mailbox made of galvanized steel.
The fumes from even a small amount of galvanized steel being heated at flame temperatures are toxic, and will make you very sick for at least a day.
I like the idea. People are thinking and becoming creative. We will all have to do what is necessary. In order to be successful we will have to think outside of the box. Unless it's a mailbox. Lol.
The ammo can idea is very good - most of us usually have an extra or three laying around.
At thirty bucks for a new 20lb. propane tank, thaat would be an inexpensive wood stove, and no worries of lingering gas. I have two buddies who can weld. One already makes BBQ cookers from old propane tanks, of various sizes.
I thought this was true also but studies have shown that not to be true.
"Galvanizing is simply coating of zinc over steel. When zinc vapor mixes with the oxygen in the air, it reacts instantly to become zinc oxide. This is the same white powder
that you see on some noses at the beach and the slopes. Zinc oxide is non-toxic and non carcinogenic. Extensive research
into the effects of zinc oxide fumes has been done, and although breathing those fumes will cause welders to think that they
have the flu in a bad way, there are no long-term health effects. Zinc oxide that is inhaled is simply absorbed and eliminated
by the body without complications or chronic effects. Current research
on zinc oxide fumes is concentrated in establishing
the mechanism by which zinc oxide causes "metal fume fever," how its effects are self-limiting and why zinc oxide fume
effects ameliorate after the first day of exposure even though the welder may continue to be exposed to zinc during subsequent
days ("Monday-morning fever"). Other research
is being done using zinc oxide fumes together with various drugs which
results in a synergetic effect for treatment of cancer and AIDS. Another area of research is use of zinc compounds as the active
ingredients in throat lozengers that are recognized as significantly effective in reducing the duration and intensity of the
I have cut galvanized steel with a torch, there was a yellowish smoke and deposit and I got sick.
Every professional welder I have known has also warned not to cut, braze or weld galvanized.
I did not claim that there were long term effects, the short term effects are bad enough.
As I was looking at the design, I was thinking it would work as a tent stove, for a wall tent.
I think I'd only want to use it in fresh air and certainly, non-galvanized would be optimum but in an emergency, an option nonetheless
Fire it up really hot outside until the zinc burns off, then high temp paint and you are good to go.
Burn it outside for two days to get rid of the galvanizing? Just a thought.
Dang, beat me to it.
Get a liberal to try it out! Maybe they'll get the bad stuff burnt off. OTOH, maybe they won't return.........
Ya , And smoking has no ill effects , Coal burnin /smoke smog laden North America is almost bug free but humans dropping like flys !!
I'm with the welder , Zinc gas off is bad..
Fresh / pure air , warm water , beach / swim up bar , Priceless !!
Always play safe , remember when cooties was the worst from kissing ?
Be careful around vapors. Remember, you have only two lungs. If something bad happens to them, it's game over for you. Same with most body parts. When in doubt, use safety equipment. The atmosphere is bad enough though do you want it right in your face? Good idea for the stove, just have to make sure you take precautions.
That is a really cute idea but as my mechanic says- cute is bad. Thanks Twocrows on the heads up of the toxic fumes this metal could cause. I personally have a large coffee can set aside to make a small stove out of.
I guess you could burn a fire in it to burn off the zinc, then come back and clean a bit and the next fire should be ok? Its rather a neat idea...
Postman said I can not leave hot embers in the box, but thanks for the hot coco.
I like the idea but where I live, and the surrounding towns as well, the USPS does not do home delivery. We all have boxes at the PO we get our mail from. I haven't seen a mailbox in years. Not even sure where I'd find one.
Clever idea though.
Separate names with a comma.