Time For Some More Cajun Style Pure Pork Sausage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TXKajun, Jan 17, 2015.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

About every 3 or 4 months, I make up a batch of Cajun style pure pork sausage. Since this is a long weekend and my stocks are running low, I decided this was the time to do it. Yesterday afternoon late, I cut the meet off a pork butt, added some pork fat/beef suet to make a 75/25 mix of pork to fat. I seasoned it and let it sit in the fridge overnight. Today, I got out the Kitchenaid grinder and the LEM Sausage Stuffer. Ground everything up, stuffed into casings to about 1" diameter and have it in the fridge drying out and resting overnight. Here's what it looks like: [​IMG]

Tomorrow, I'll put it in my electric Cajun Injector Smoker at 185 degrees for 4 hours, hitting it with hickory/mesquite/pecan chips for smoke every 30 minutes, then bump up temp to 225 till sausage gets to 155. Take it out, rinse well in cold water, hang to let dry, then cut up and vacuum seal. Yummy!

2. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Looks good. Honest question. Is "pure pork" a type of sausage or referring to the ingredient list. I ask because you say "added some pork fat/beef suet to make a 75/25". Does the beef suet, if you use it, make it not "pure pork"?

Never made sausage and and inquiring minds want to know. :)

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Jimmy Dean has got noth'en on you TxKajun....

Tully Mars and VisuTrac like this.
  4. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

DarkLight, the "pure pork" refers only to the meat that's ground up. The fat is filler/moistener. I usually use only pork fat, but this time I had some trimmings from a full brisket saved up. There is also a "mixed" sausage made down in SE LA which uses both pork and beef meat ground up. Time to start smoking the stuff now. :) BT, Jimmy would drool over my maple breakfast sausage!! That's thanks to TACMOTUSN. :)

Kajun

Yard Dart, KAS, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  5. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

My electric smoker crapped out on me after about 4 1/2 hours of smoking, so I finished the sausage off in my Char Broil propane vertical smoker. Started off with 7 1/2 lbs meat, finished with right at 6 lbs. Cut it up, vacuum seal and into the freezer this moning. Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Kajun

Yard Dart, KAS and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Mmmm, that just has to be "gud".

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great job @TXKajun ..... going to have to try that sometime.... it looks delicious!!

8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thanks, ya'll. :)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7