Tires Man, Tires

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Has everyone prepared for the seasonal change with their tires to winter driving conditions?

2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

With the way people around here drive, I'm thinking about using my winter tires on my car like boat fenders...

First thing I do when I buy a car is to get an extra set of wheels and mount winter tires on them.

munchy and gunbunny like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Thought about it but unsure, haven't done anything yet. My car has 25 thousand on it. The stock tires that came on it are horrible. I need new tires. Do I buy winter and swap out every year? Or do I buy really good all seasons and some chains for those bad days. I face about 3 weeks total of really bad roads but the rest of the time things are pretty clear or ice and you really can't do much about ice.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

My OEM tires worked well for the last XXX years, just replaced them about 1500 miles ago. All season, all terrain. The hill ices up now and then, so I just stay at the hacienda for a day or so 'till it gets carved up by the chained up truck traffic. In the distant past (upper peninsula of MI) I've maintained two full sets of wheels and tires, one for 3 season, and one for snow. Back then, it was almost a requirement, the tire tech wasn't to today's standards. Methinks a good set of all season shoes is all you need unless you are into serious off roading.

techsar and Motomom34 like this.
  5. munchy

munchy Monkey+++

I've had great luck with bfgs, and coopers. I dont run studs but run smaller tires for summer then go up two sizes for winter. Only buy mt's cause I know I'd get stuck and kick myself otherwise. Had horrible results with pro comp, they were loud didnt balance and wore out fast.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

When I had the Jeep Liberty, I ran Nokian's on steel universal pattern rims I bought new from Napa. they have 3 seasons on them and are not studded. Ran like a champ in 4X4 in the snow, were well siped for ice and wear was good for running them on dry pavement most of the time.

The Grand Cherokee has Michelin M&S on it from the factory. I will probably stay with those through this winter and let my personal economy recover a bit before approaching that issue.

Still have the mounted Nokian's in the garage.... Couldn't find anybody that wanted them. They probably have a season or two left in them.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  7. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I hear that a lot, and has kept me from buying them. I've had good luck with BFG's myself. Luckily a lot of other people still like them, and I was able to find a couple used on craigslist with the same size and rims for spares for little coin.

8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I use Cooper Discoverer ST/STT on my 1 tons. My welding truck weighs in right at 23k fully loaded and I've never had a problem with these tires. Highway, off road, or being pulled into or out of pipeline right of ways with D8's I'm pleased with them. I'm ashamed to admit this, but I honestly don't remember what brand of tires we have on the wife's Hummer:oops::oops: They are some high dollar Dick Cepek type that came with it. Ill replace them with either the Coop's or BF Goodrich mudders when the time comes. I do know the Hummer has nitrogen in the tires. My trucks do not. I rotate the tires every other oil change. That's 7,000 miles for us.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Time to take the leap and buy new tires. Thanks to the monkeys on here I am researching the brands that had favorable comments. Just looking for all seasons.

10. ghrit

Head to the library and glom onto this year's Consumer Reports Buying Guide. There's a pretty good rundown on tires.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I really like the reviews on Yokahoma Geolander's. Couple people gave thumps up on cornering. I drive on dirt so so that is a consideration

12. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

Spares act weird, i knew this but i guess i forgot. About a month ago i put a spare on my truck to fix a flat. I did not realize that the spare was the original spare for the truck which i purchased new in 2004 (F-250). Yesterday it went flat, no hole, no puncture marks. Could have been the valve, who knows. Stupid move on my part, i knew better than to trust a 12 year old spare.

Ganado likes this.
  13. ghrit

Recently did something similar, but trusted the spare only all the way to the tire shop. I learned spare trusting (not) back in the 60s, needless to say the hard way. Don't ask, I get irregular reminders enough from those also present at the time.

Ganado, kellory and vonslob like this.
  14. Yard Dart

[​IMG]

15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Saw something very similar one afternoon on I-5 in SW Portland. This truck was a flatbed. It made me feel like I was an ant.

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Could have been the valve, or sometimes after sitting that long the bead can lose its seal in a spot. I rotate the spares when the tires are rotated. Of course this only works with full size spare tires and used to be standard practice. For the two grocery getters we have here I went to the wrecking yard and bought a used tire and rim to replace the "donut" spares. I suggest this to everyone that asks me about it as I feel it not only helps with tire wear, but when I was out west, a person could easily be caught out somewhere where a new tire is further than 30-40 miles away, let alone in a SHTF situation. JM[2c]

Homer Simpson and Yard Dart like this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Juckyards in California were giving donut tires away free, when I was there. They has stack and stacks of them. That is why I built a trailer when I was there, that used full sized spindles for the donut wheels, instead of the standard undersized trailer wheels. I saved a ton on tires over the years, by sourcing the parts first.
    Back here in Ohio, they want about $20.00 each for donuts. With the lighter load, they do quite well.

Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. Prime8

Prime8 existential nihilist

Two words, Tire Chains. I had highway tires on my ram3500, had to do some trail driving, skidding logs, we had a month of rain. Tire chains always got me through the slop!
    Easy to put on, amazing traction for extreme conditions. I will never go without again. A plus for me was keeping a nice quiet, high mileage, highway tire.

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

And you can pick them up for free alongside the road after the snow melts...

Ganado, kellory, Prime8 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Yard Dart

Tire chains are required to be in/available for a 4-wheel drive, here in WA, anytime you are going over a pass in the winter while under Traction Tire advisories. So I always have a set with my 3500 regardless, have not needed them to date as I run AT's year round... no highway tires for me. :cool:

BTPost likes this.
  1. Meat
  2. oil pan 4
  3. hot diggity
  4. HK_User
  5. oil pan 4
  6. arleigh
  7. Motomom34
  8. chelloveck
  9. TXKajun
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7