Tires Man, Tires

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Aug 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have Hankook ATMs on the 4WD; they are made in Tennessee. We have a camp site in NE Georgia and the road in is dirt. The grade grade is steep when it is wet it is nasty. So far they do the job well; winter will be the real test.
    To most the camp would be a great BOL. That being said, it was the solitude, beauty, good hunting and fishing that attracted us.

Tully Mars, techsar and Yard Dart like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just to keep things factual, according to Hankookusa they have:
    • 5 production facilities, located in China, Hungary and Korea
    Nothing in North America...
    Can't say much on the all terrains, but I've seen a lot of Hankook passenger tires with shifted belts. Are they the seconds Walmart sells? Don't know...

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I stand corrected the Clarksville plant is not open yet. 1800 jobs and $800 million invested. Amazing how our jobs went offshore and off shore companies are coming here..

I have a set on the toy car, a mid 10 car in the quarter and no problems.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

How many have a plan for removing lug nuts if a arm is disabled?

Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  5. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I can with an X bar. Had to do it, when I hurt my hand.

6. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

18v 1/2" drive Dewalt impact
    If in my welding truck fire up the welder for 115v and use the electric impact.

BTPost and kellory like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

OR, if you have a SparkPlug Ignition, Just make an adapter, for one Plug that feeds an Air Hose, and use an Air Impact Wrench to remove those "Hard to Turn" Lug Nuts.......

8. kellory

I have a 3/4" breaker bar I never use. A 3-4 foot cheater bar, and a deep well socket will solve that. Think I'll put that in my truck.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have a half inch drive breaker bar and a "right size" deep impact socket that I've used by standing on the end for a really stubborn lug nut when out without the impact tools. (The air compressor is NOT portable.)

Tully Mars likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think there is a man for that.:lol:[touchdown][winkthumb][LMAO]

Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

As we age or become injured, maybe alone on the way to plan B location, we need to think and plan for the worst cases.

Here is my choice. The truck also has a 120Vac output should I need to charge the Milwaukee or use the older Ingersoll Rand.
    [​IMG]

12. kellory

We have the 28vt on our work trucks.:)

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I taught my daughter to sit on her vehicle and use her legs. I doubt that work work with my truck. I did put chains on a Volvo XC70 with one hand as the other was in bandages.

14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I just picked up two brand new steel wheels at $15 each from my local tire shop. I rotated my 35" truck tires with new and took my two best off the truck and threw them on the steel wheels for spares/back up.

15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I did some work with Michelin Engineering group testing these Tweels in the AZ desert @ 120degF on one of these vehicles. We bought one of these Harbor Freight 12 volt impact wrenches and it worked great. Different to use in that it "spins up" to speed before it engages.

image.

image.

image.

HK_User likes this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It has been almost 2 years and I am ready for new tires. After the comment above, I researched went to Big O, they up-sold me and the tires lasted 2 years. It is a big investment but an important one. Someone suggested Firestone or Goodyear. Or is two years normal for tires?

HK_User likes this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Time is less critical than miles. I am not ready to say that any given brand is better than another, but you can draw some conclusions with the mileage guarantees. The "standard" distance when I was paying attention was 40K miles. I go lots longer that that these days, and a lot of those miles are on sharp rocks. Last set went 60K. I had a set of Firestones that went 95K, but that was all pavement. (IIRC, that set had a 60K warrantee.)

HK_User likes this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

When I lived on the mountains I had 2 full sets of ties and rims for the tuck ,one set was for the summer and highway driving, the second set are for the winter these were an as aggressive tread design as I could find ,the front are as narrow as possible , they bite the ice better than any thing especially on turns , the rear being the drive tire were standard width . My truck was a 1958 cheve 3/4 ton. Not being 4 wheel drive it was the best I could do , happily I was able to travel places some 4 wheel drive vehicles could not go.
    If I knew I had business off the hill, I would swap off tires an use chains in the snow when it was necessary .
    BTW that 12 volt harbor freight impact is a godsend , nothing but good reviews from this end. much better than any cordless.

HK_User likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am currently shopping for tires. I have been running my stock tires and they are now trashed. With 28,000 miles on them and the tire shop said they would not repair again because too much tread (chunks) was missing. Since I have started to go off-road and will be living back in the hills I am looking at tires that have a bit more to them then I am used to. Currently looking at BF Goodrich KO2 tires. I saw the price and was knocked speechless. I am used to normal car/SUV tires but when I talk to truck owners they think paying $200 per tire is normal. Someone told me they got 80,000 miles on their KO2's. It is a big investment but to get safely where I need to go is more important. Plus road maintenance seems to be lacking, last winter sometimes it was days before we saw a plow.

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and HK_User like this.
  20. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

The KO2s, Cooper LTR, Nitto CrossTek, Goodyear Wrangler....take your pick. Watch for sales.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  1. Meat
  2. oil pan 4
  3. hot diggity
  4. HK_User
  5. oil pan 4
  6. arleigh
  7. Motomom34
  8. chelloveck
  9. TXKajun
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7