To LBE or not to LBE?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Sherman, Apr 5, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

LBE=Load Bearing Equipment
    LBV=Load Bearing Vest

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Love it Ghrit! [lolol]

I love hearing from old guys.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

:lol: "Don't pick a fight with an old guy, he'll just shoot you." :oops: :D

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

[gun2][gone]

Don't shoot!

:D

5. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

hmm sticks and stones aside....very helpful.
    As a former RO and firearms instructor I have never been a fan of thigh holsters period. But understand the necessity created by body armor.

I like the vest, putting a firearm in an accessible, defensible location. And certainly making it quicker to gear up. My concern regarding vest is I am not as trim as I once was, I'm afraid I could not tie my own shoes with a loaded vest :D

I do not invision myself bugging out family in tow looking like an operator. If I'm bugging out it will be by vehicle, quickly and discreetly. If roads are blocked or travel by vehicle is not an option, I would travel on foot looking like another refugee, AR broken down and stowed.

I'm thinking about a situation where I might require more than 1-2 30rnd mags stuffed into my jeans pocket.

For example you need to leave your location in search of resources, food fuel, water, medical aid..... or perhaps a security detail if their is some kind of community.

I don't know what scenario to anticipate but don't want to waste money on gear I don't really need.

I havent seen any "web gear is not practical" opines.

6. melbo

Me neither. The idea of having to walk/run on foot with a few 30 mags in your front pocket does not sound very practical. I suppose you could call it a Force Divider rather than multiplier.

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I think this a good point. IMHO, most situations, it's best to stick to the 2 mags in your back pockets. Getting in a firefight is a bad idea alone or with your family/ small group. I think just having a mean appearance will lead to the wrong assumptions. But, as you indicated, there isn't a whole lot of "no LBE" answers. I think the "what ifs" are so many that most would rather be able to carry a good amount of ammo usefully.

There are cheaper options that are still better than a duffel bag. You can find an old USGI LBV in the $30 price range. Worked for years between ALICE and MOLLE.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Just because I ain't leaving does NOT mean there's no use for LBE/V. Even if just on a scouting run around the perimeter of your place, there's need for water and light loads of tools (think machete, for example.) About all I have today that will see (and has seen) regular use is a web belt for the 1911 holster. I've yet to look at anything else, but it looks like there are better options than a pack frame or haversack from 50 years ago. I need to think more on this, even tho' my perimeter is not so long I'd be out of the Alamo for more than an hour at a time. Whatever it winds up being, the one thing I cannot tolerate is load shifts and stuff banging into my carcass as I'm moving or working (hacking briars) on the move. Opinions and thoughts welcome, the tax man isn't taking a very big bite this year.

9. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

10. melbo

First link is USGI. Second link is aftermarket brand - they may have enlarged a pocket or two.

I'd say go with the USGI

11. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

Do we really have to do this?

I'm a Medically Retired Recon Marine.
    (There's enough people around who have met me...)

Hit, Faluja, Ramadi etc... Been there too.

Now that we're past that...

You've heard from 2 people who have seen it.

If you want to risk it... It's your life.

You were told.

12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Hey -it might be a good idea to take the time to read the previous posts to get an idea where this discussion is. [winkthumb]

We're past it.

You still haven't proven anything to me. Tough guy. I just told you THAT. ;)

13. Nomad 2nd

Nomad 2nd Monkey+++

Read it all.

Picking up where WE were.

Don't need to prove it.

Recounted it, Gave you something to go search/read about.

What you do with the information provided is up to you.

And I'm not tough.
    Make no claim on it.

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Sherman,

Melbo is right on. The USGI ones are all 6 mag. The difference between the enhanced and the earlier version was that the earlier had vertical pouches and the enhanced had more slanted pouches (also was some mesh used instead of straight cordura in places). I prefer the enhanced USGI one. Either would work in a pinch depending on availability or price.

Stay away from the commercial ones.... they are junk.

ETA: I want to clarify. Both the links you provided are USGI. Both only hold 6 mags regardless of what the links say.
    This one is the enhanced version:
    http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI...henyoutlet&category=36284&bv=mozilla&caz.html

This one is the older one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...Category=36071&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2

15. melbo

Yep, I'm corrected. I read this about Link 2 (just the belt): The belt is a NEW after market brand, but made to US Army Military Specs.

16. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

WE weren't anywhere. YOU however, are trolling.
    Then we are done here. You said your part. Point taken. Move on.

No kidding. Then let it go. You cannot force other people to believe what you want them to. [beat]

17. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

Ok as long as you guys want to hash this out.
    I've started looking at molle gear, I really like the options it gives.
    I think I can stay in budget, If I can get a reasonable holster.
    So what are some inexpensive holster options for a molle rig. Possible just a molle belt.
    I've looked at blackhawk omega (soft drop leg). blackhawk CQC level 1 $28 +molle adapter.

Doesn't have to be the best, just function and wont fall apart w/ occasional use. Is 5.11 stuff good enough?

18. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I really like Tactical Tailor's molle holster. The options for mounting are quite numerous, especially if you get any horizontal, angle, or shoulder adapters.

TACTICAL TAILOR Quality Tactical Gear for Military and Law Enforcement - Holsters

5.11's stuff is okay, like most places is made outside this country. The quality is decent, but not excellent. Tactical Tailor's equipment is made here, in the good old US of A, and made a touch tougher than most places. The packs that I've seen were only surpassed (in ruggedness) by Kifaru.

19. Sherman

Sherman Dog Eat Dog

I opted for 5.11 Active Shooter bag $45, my thinking is better to appear non threatening and not a combatant. I also like gear being compartmentalized so I can add or ditch kit as needed.
    5.11 Tactical Active Shooter Bailout Bag IN STOCK and ready to ship!
    it was a little cheaper than the maxpedition bag at $67.

I ordered a molle pistol holster and a mag pouches etc. to outfit it. LAPG also had a molle belt for $9 but only in 2x (hope it fits) otherwise its a bandoleer!

Ordered another streamlight pen w/ red LED ($13) and found a little Gerber folder for $19
    Amazon.com: Gerber 30-000202 EVO Mid-Size Tanto Knife, Combo Edge: Home Improvement

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2015
  20. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

For those looking for something completely modular, here is the Tactical Tailor MAV....

[​IMG]

It is the two piece MAV with the adapter and X harness. You can see how far the regular chest harness has morphed.... it basically becomes a modern LBE. This is the second MAV I have owned. I had a woodland one piece back when we were still in BDUs. I prefer the single or double mag pouches for a lower profile... makes a huge difference when your butt isn't in the air. Also, it makes riding in tight M1151s (or your chosen vehicle) a cinch. I also like the hydration pouch on the back of the X-harness. The advantage there is that you can put whatever you want into the hydration pouch (more than just water.... extra ammo, food, spare batteries, commo antennas....I've carried damn near everything in there).

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7