To Make Bresaola

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Zimmy, May 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I inadvertently defrosted a beef tenderloin. I had just cooked one and wanted to try something different.

I got to looking around and had trouble finding good beef recipes like you can find for pork.

I found something called Bresaola. It's an Italian dry cured beef yet seems different from biltong and carne seca. I started the process of making it tonight.

I'll explain my process as it goes. So far I have trimmed fat on a ~#4 piece of meat and am soaking it overnight in red wine before I dry cure it tomorrow night.

Ganado, Dont, Thunder5Ranch and 7 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Sounds interesting... Can't wait for the process. [winkthumb]

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Mmmm Bresaola is yummy(y)

Ganado and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  4. Zimmy

Bresaola.

Trimmed weight 5.5 pounds

Original cure 26 May 19

5 grams #2 Prague powder

200 grams sea salt

200 grams granulated sugar

10 grams fresh ground black pepper

15 grams coriander

15 grams sage

15 grams cilantro

10 grams rosemary

5 grams fresh ground mustard seeds

I rubbed half of the cure ingredients on the meat and put it in a Ziploc bag. After pushing out the excess air I put it in the fridge for a week of cure. (Flipping daily)

Dunerunner likes this.
  5. Zimmy

I rendered all the fat that I trimmed off and simmered it slowly until the water was all cooked out.

I drained off the tallow for experiments in cooking and essential oil salves.

The meat that came out of the rendering process made a pretty good machaca or carne seca when some adobo seasoning was thrown in. We did the same thing with pork when I was young as a pork preservation process. This will go in scrambled eggs with jalapeno and cheese for breakfast tacos.

Dunerunner and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Zimmy

Today I drained off the liquids that came off the meat, dried it with a towel and added the second half of the cure mixture.

It'll go back into the fridge for another week, flipping daily.

Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

[worthless]

Ganado likes this.
  8. Zimmy

The Bresaola after addition of the first cure IMG_20190526_104339829.

The Carne Seca like dried meat

IMG_20190526_104744637.

The rendered tallow
    IMG_20190526_104736077.

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  9. Zimmy

After another week with the second application of cure I rinsed the meat off and wrapped it in cheesecloth with enough rosemary sprigs to run the length of the loin.

It took two months in the refrigerator to reduce weight by 30%. When the meat was unwrapped it looked like this: 582.

Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
  10. Zimmy

The flavor was both buttery and beefy and the aroma was rich and floral.

Slicing paper thin like prosciutto by hand proved impossible because of the hardness of the meat. Don't think jerky, consider it more like a 4"×2" dry salami. Once a chef friend of mine sliced it shave thin it was tender without a discernable rind.

Several Italians both foreign and domestic were given samples and gave wholehearted approval of flavor, appearance, and texture for authenticity. Bresaola is a premier gourmet meat.

In all, it was a good experience to make bresaola. I suppose in a winter disaster it would be a good way to preserve meat. If time involved was compared to resources required I would compare this to jerky in cost. I would still suggest biltong for efficiency in a disaster. There's a post out there on it.

11. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Yum.

GrayGhost likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Dunerunner
  5. ditch witch
  6. Ganado
  7. chelloveck
  8. Ganado