Today we got a girlfriend for our Royal Palm Tom...

Discussion in 'Blogs' started by wildernessgal, Dec 21, 2007.

1. wildernessgal

wildernessgal Backwoods is a callin'

Not much time to write, but today we got a girlfriend for our Royal Palm Heritage Turkey (Tom). These last weeks he really has been trying to gobble & etc...) So we thought he needed company of the same kind. Low and behold a fellow homesteader had a hen of the same breed available, so today he is a very happy man! lol He's been struttin' all around her and looks to be SMILIN'! he,he,he

Just had to share, as the critters are such a pleasure to watch... especially after a very hard weeks work. Hopefully they will "feed us well" in the future.

Sincerely,

~W~

P.S.- Here are some pics to share of the 2 who had one of those "LOVE @ 1st Sight" sorta moments earlier.

Having a "ROMANTIC DRINK" @ the water bowl! lol :D

Click below for more info.
    American Livestock Breeds Conservancy: Royal Palm Turkey

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Yummy! :)

WG, I love the way you guys do things...... I'm a fan of heritage breeds (although we don't have any now).

I was thinking of raising a couple Bourbon Reds next year.

3. wildernessgal

Oh yes BJ, I've seen those (Bourbon Red Turkeys) in person and those are gorgeous as well! That would be another nice choice of a breed. Originally we had wanted Narragansetts, but then we just ended up with this type and really do like them thus far. Another plus regarding the R.P.'s (Royal Palms) is their feathers are mostly white so it'll look much cleaner after butchering/processing. For some folk it's a big deal/issue. We just figured that if we sold some later it might be smart to cater to the masses (somewhat) as most folk are so squeamish/particular and want everything to look like what they see at the supermarket. The smaller turkey also eats less, which is a plus if you are going to maintain it through the winter season. For many years I never realized that commercial breeds (which are big in size) have been bred for such large breasts that man has created an inferior bird which will not multiply on it's own/has to be artificially inseminated!?!?!?! That was something we "DEFINATELY DID NOT WANT" as we want to be self relient/maintain ourselves. ~Just something for folks to think about regarding self-relience/survival.

Thanks for the compliment BJ, and hopefully in the not-too-distant-future you will be the proud new owner of some Bourbon Reds!!! I don't think you'll regret it! If you have never had turkeys before, they truly are great fun/very entertaining. Ours has been an awesome forager with very sweet/gentle temperment (I've heard alot of stories about nasty turkeys flogging people???) But anyway, I think that could also be important.... especially if you have young children around and you don't keep your poultry locked up in a pen, or just want a more "peaceful" environment in general.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS everyone... and eat LOTS of yummy/delicious turkey!!!!!!! lol

[​IMG]

~Wildernessgal~

4. wildernessgal

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7