top 10 must have tools in a prepper shop/garage

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by KAS, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I would suggest consider favoring tools that are harder to make and could be used to construct other tools. So a ladder could be easily made. With a torch, grinder, hammer and some scrap steel liberated from junk farm equipment one could make an adze, useable ax, draw knife, etc. Just thinkin...

AT

kellory likes this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

With limited refills of cutting torch etc, I'd suggest you make what you want now. Otherwise you may be out on your Adze or Ax if not prepped now. Ax Adze and draw knife are not simple to make or temper and best if a forge and proper tools are used, if that's your sport.

3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

a solar forge might be interesting.

4. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Might be interesting to try with a monster fresnel lens scavenged from a big projection TV.

5. HK_User

Send Pics!

6. kellory

i have one that is about 2X3 feet. i think it needs to be bigger than that though. Parabolic mirrors, trough mirrors, and mirror finished satellite dishes given a new life? Hmmmm......spray adhesive and Mylar survival blanket maybe? I wonder what a 6'-8' dish would do? I know they are used to concentrate heat on sterling engine generators, big ones. Mount everything on a platform that tracks with the sun like the arrays? if I had the open land, that might be an interesting build. :cool:

7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

kellory likes this.
  8. kellory

interesting, but that guy is a fool to pour gas from a full can onto a hot surface. He could have seen something go BOOM for real. and to cook, just raise the food up of down out of the focal point. Solar heat, can also be used with a dutch oven to bake.

9. HK_User

Control is the key, and that was what I'd like to see. A forge is all about gradients of applied heat.

The FOOL? Maybe next time the fumes will make it to the inside of the gas container before they ignite!!!

10. kellory

I'm thinking solar still

commercial Sterling solar generator

solar/ steam engine

11. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

AMEN! Check some of his other videos with microwave transformers and stuff. Some interesting things to play with but a bit risky if you don't understand what one is doing. Stump remover looks like it might be worth stocking up on while we still can without background checks and all.

AT

kellory likes this.
  12. kellory

took me a little while to find it, but very interesting. perhaps sentry flares? Trip wire ignition?

13. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

DIY
    Lots of uses: DIY cover smoke, black powder, rocket motors for flares, other misc rocket propelled gadgets, all kinds of risky fun not to try at home. I never would have guessed stump remover to be 100% potassium nitrate (saltpeter).

14. kellory

I wonder if it explodes on impact from a bullet, like that other product they are talking of banning?o_O

15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

KNO3 is an oxidizer. It would need to be mixed with something like powdered aluminum or diesel fuel or hey, how about some sulfur and powdered charcoal (carbon). Oh wait... They call that black powder.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

as the Borsia Pope figured out two weeks ago, "any fool can make Salt Peter, but you can't make Sulfur, and if you corner the Market of Sulfur, you control the Market for Black Powder..."

Airtime likes this.
  17. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Especially if you have caves around full of bat guano. Or a belfry... Assuming the resident pastor didn't baptize and confirm all the bats so that they never came back to the church.

How about we return to our previous program joined in progress and talk about the 10 tools you'd take.

AT

18. kellory

So, as for tools....perhaps some of that flexible stainless for solar mirrors, and reflectors, and a large Fresnel lens or three. The sun itself would be the tool.:cool:

19. HK_User

Reminds me, I need to finish my solar dehydrator.

1. chelloveck
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. SB21
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Dunerunner