TOTM 2016- Long Term Recovery

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Mar 1, 2016.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You can get a used rototiller on Craigslist for probably 50 bucks

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    Ganado, Aeason and ghrit like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Amazon sells both, and it's no trick to see for yourself exactly what the differences are to dispel any mis-understandings.

Aeason likes this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Heck, if we are going down that route, my ancestors also used to use deer scapulars for both tasks.

Aeason likes this.
  4. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

I have a tiller, love it, just saying when all is broken or no fuel necessity is the mother of invention. My son told me of seeing two Afghans plowing with a shovel, one had a makeshift harness pulling while the other guided the shovel. Got the job done.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. kellory

I have a few extra gas engines in the 5-7hp range. One is a Honda, and I intend to mate that to a trash pump, but Ifor I had to break ground ,I'd mount one on a rail at one end of a field, with a matching rail and idler pulley at the other end, and pull my makeshift plow that way. I have plenty of cable for that.

Aeason likes this.
  6. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Cool, I like it when people get creative, can never be without options

kellory likes this.
  7. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Pic of the winch, we welded square tubing for reciever on my truck, Dodge 2500 heavy duty diesel 4x4, tried to pull a log free slid my truck back KIMG0009.

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  8. kellory

I have one like it I use to skin deer.

Aeason likes this.
  9. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

I should have put something for scale

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Aeason likes this.
  11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If the Incas could farm this by hand centuries ago and we can't figure it out on flat land we don't deserve to eat.
    image.

12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I'm stuck behind a freakin desk for most work days...so I jump at the chance to do actual physical work whenever I can.

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Aeason like this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

When faced with gardening by hand, never underestimate the value of a good mate when the SHTF.
    Saw this for myself in China a few years back.
    woman and plow.

Aeason likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Exactly. I have people tell me to let the kids mow the lawn or clean the gutters etc.... no way. I love getting outside and getting things done. Mowing the lawn with a push mower is Mom's exercise. I love it. 100% agree @chimo

Aeason and Ganado like this.
  15. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

With the huge amount of vehicles of all shapes and sizes to include small tractors why couldn't a community tractor/plow be built and maintained for all. I saw some Russian guys run a vehicle on what they call Samagone (moonshine). It needed hotter plugs and carb jets needed to be a bit bigger if I recall correctly. Or, run a motor off wood gas...which apparently is not too hard but I really haven't looked into it.

To produce excess food is the key...to about everything: health, trade, growth, stability...

Aeason likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I 'm gonna get flack for this opinion but here it is.
    There is not going to be a major event (politically speaking, we could of course have a meteor hit or sun flares etc) but politically we are going to go into slow decline and goods are going to get so high you can't buy anything and gardening and raising small animals will be common place. Some people will go to FEMA camps and the prepared will hold out as long as they can until there is a recovery. The PTB will not let everything go in one big lump there is too much at stake to do that. If they were going to have another depression they would have let the USA fall with all of our debt and the world would have been in a depression.

If you don't believe me just look at the wonky economics at the moment. Increasing stock market in the face of double digit unemployment? China has more debt than we do. THey have fueled their economy by building cities no one uses.

No big event is my prediction, just a slow slide into poverty if you aren"t prepared and if you are prepared a slide into more and more self sufficiency.

I value this site for that reason. There are a lot of skills and knowledge here.

Yard Dart, Motomom34, Aeason and 2 others like this.
  17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I keep hearing about these FEMA camps, but, they aren't a thing in my AO. Very confusing sometimes.

18. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Sarcasm, my friend.

19. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You can always write your congress critter and demand one! :D

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image.
    This website supposedly gives the GPS coordinates to hundreds of FEMA camps in the US. Very Creepy!! GPS Coordinates To FEMA Camps (Google Maps) | Alternative

Looking up the ones in my area, I found the one above. It is the US Federal Prison that houses 1,460 medium and high risk prisoners. Not a big secret around here since about 3,000 locals work there.

There are no FEMA camps. It is a myth. FEMA has neither the resources, personnel or responsibility to inter large groups of Americans. They are charged with continuity of Government which means they are not going to house, feed and care for the likes of us.

Ganado likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34