TOTM 2016- Long Term Recovery

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Mar 1, 2016.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You could build a green house below ground with just the roof of glass at ground level. Insulate the walls and use sunlight and geothermal to heat it.
    At 6' down, you have a year round @56° (helped build an off grid house)
    We used 5" of styrofoam between 1/2" plywood sheets, and lined the entire basement walls only(assembled all of it and installed it with construction cement). This caused the basement to decrease in size one foot by one foot, but made it quite comfortable.
    Combine that with a glass roof, I think you would do very well.

duane likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

That cuts down your heat losses and visibility, but at the time most needed, winter low sun angles, it also cuts down your solar heat and sunlight. I haven't figure out yet how to grow crops without light, mushrooms excepted, or make power without energy. Love windmills, but they also scream prepared live here. Semi buried greenhouse with insulated, heat storage north wall and aquaponics would probably be the best long term system, but they are not very portable and take a lot of materials to build and energy intensive, heat and pumps. Solar would do it for a while until batteries and controllers quit.

Kingfish likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Mirrors could redirect sunlight from any direction, and still be low profile. And angled down, would not reflect from a distance.

Kingfish likes this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I plan on building a few cold frames. That way we can grow some vegetables year round.
    I grew up before grocery stores had certain vegetables year round and didn't miss them. So no problems going back to the old ways.
    Back in the day, we lived just fine and I don't see how it can hurt us nowadays.

Kingfish and duane like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was noticing that with the amount of businesses that are folding and it occurred to me that when things go wrong there will be no stores to run to at the last minuet, what was there will be vacancies all over the place.
    Food for thought.

Kingfish likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Oddly, you are not alone. Here are just two examples of folks who have already bailed out.....
    ClubOrlov: Fragility and Collapse: Slowly at first, then all at once

ClubOrlov: Sailing craft for a post-collapse world

This guy is convinced that the decline is here, now, and is actively bailing out of the US society as fast as he can. Lives on a boat to avoid cities...

TriloBoat Talk: Guerrilla Gardening: Interview with James-David Sneed
    These folks built their own boat and live in the panhandle right now - don't know if BT has seen then, but there are on the web from time to time - again they believe a total US economic collapse is happening now or will soon fold.....

Kingfish likes this.
  7. DKR

Green houses and year-around power - without fuel. Not a dream, a reality

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Manly Hot Springs - Alaska.Today the population is 74. Chuck and Gladys Dart purchased the Hot Springs in 1955 and in1985 built the spring-fed greenhouse. Chuck a horticulturalist, now deceased, planted the grapes curently growing in the greenhouse, while Gladys, a retired area teacher, planted and tends all the flowers. $5 and an appointment made at the Roadhouse will let you soak in one of three concrete baths located inside the greenhouse. (See photo gallery). Gladys keeps the baths open year round for the enjoyment of visitors and locals alike. If you get a chance to meet Gladys, you'll be pleased. She is delightful, welcoming, personable, and a font of knowledge about the town, present and past.

MHS is about 80 miles down a gravel road off the Elliott Hwy north of Fairbanks just outside of Livengood. The gravel road offers great views and is very well maintained. I would guess I averaged about 50mph the entire way.

Chena Hot Springs Ak

Geothermal power -400KW, geothermal power
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    full greenhouse production year around.

8. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

stunning!!!

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

This is on my christmas list.

Ganado likes this.
  10. DKR

Blundell is a 34-megawatt geothermal facility near Milford, Utah. The plant was completed in 1984, becoming the first geothermal electric plant outside of California.

In a geothermal electric generating plant, the source of energy is ground water thousands of feet below the surface, heated by nearby magma. The hydro thermal reservoir at Blundell lies 3,000 feet below the Earth's surface and contains water at more than 500°F and a pressure of 500 pounds per square inch. A well brings the high-pressure, heated water to the surface, where it “flashes” to steam, then is used to power a steam turbine and generator. Blundell is a fully renewable, zero-discharge facility. No fossil fuels are used to generate electricity; rather it is renewed and generated by heat in the ground. There is also no pollution of the atmosphere because of the absence of combustion by-products.
    The only problem is that the plant is a bit isolated.....

BTW, this was the geothermal plant featured in my book First Strike.
    The jokes about bad investments and fish farming belong to another facility in the area, once owned by Phillips Petroleum and now 'abandoned'.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    Motomom34, Ganado and kellory like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34
  12. Motomom34