TOTM April 2016- When is enough enough?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@ghrit
    You are correct or cans cost the full $200. The best way to play the game is with a trust; depending on the state about $500.
    A trust is the wisest way as anyone named in the trust can have the FA or can etc. No trust and you must be with the device. One needs to have a reason; to protect my ears works. :ROFLMAO:

ghrit likes this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Yes, I understood completely. I was never a collector, but many of my close friends and associates were, back home. Used to get the County Sheriff to approve purchases and such.

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Asia-Off-Grid
    I've collected or better said enjoyed my toys for about half a century. I enjoy the shooting sports or the simple joy of a slightly larger than caliber size group. It takes concentration and discipline.

A trust is the way to get around the CLEO or sheriff's approval. ;)

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Assessing and reassessing what I've put away; there 's less the 2 years reserve in my stores, plus gardening .
    I have fire fighting tools and skills from when I was in forestry, and have a fair supply and reserve of fire arms and training as well.
    I have met my neighbors ,but it seems that they are not much interested in meeting one another.
    Some have indicated their survival strategy , while most don't really take it seriously.
    I will have my hands full to say the least.
    Many have horses and wagons ,and there is a reservoir with in 5 miles ,so hauling water is an option .Grain for the horses however might be problematic.
    Not knowing the specifics of the descending crippling event , there are simply too many things that can happen at the very same time, a significant earth quake might also cause uncontrolled fires as well as a tsunami . This on top of a heavy rain storm .
    One never knows what or how complex, a worst case scenario can expand.
    We can assume that some government will try to reclaim control, the question is will the starving masses let them?

5. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We spent 600 bucks at Sams club two days ago. hitting bulk sales Items. Got another 50 pounds of beans and another 40 pounds of Rice. More Raman, More mashed potato buds , more spices. This time we were really buying a ot of spices to flavor the rice and bean stuff. Canned Chicken, Coffee and more.

Ganado, GOG, T. Riley and 2 others like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Kingfish Costco canned chicken is the best. Hard to keep the supply up because people keep eating it. A teenager can eat a can for a snack.

arleigh, Tikka and Ganado like this.
  7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Thank you for this Motomom34.

This seems an odd question to me. I never became a prepper, somebody just created a name for the mindset I was raised with. Before the term was coined I thought my parents were just old hippies. I'm just as comfortable with my extended family and our scattered, accumulated stuff now as I was when I was a homeless bicycle bum who slept in a tent and carried everything I owned in panniers. So it's not about stuff for me.

Recent profound improvements in my health have set me completely free from prescription drugs, and changed my whole outlook on aging. I'm choosing not to participate in the slow downward cycle of old age, or at least hold it off as long as possible. It's like I hit a reset button to age 21, even though chronologically I'm still 55. I'm shopping for running shoes today for an annual 5k event at which I've volunteered to organize the water stations in past years. My health improvements and enthusiasm have inspired men and women who had been there handing out water with me for several years to run in the event this year too. Enough health and fitness? As long as it's fun, and being 55 and sporting six-pack abs is most definitely fun, I see this as an area of at least constant maintenance, if not improvement.

People are my weakest area, and the one I have focused on most in recent years. Losing trusted friends along the way has shown me that you can never have too many new friends. When old folks within my inner circle have died I lost not only their
    mutual support, but often essential skills that within my clan, only they possessed. I've made new friends, expanded my knowledge of many areas, and carried on. My folks were completely at home under canvas, and from them I learned how to do things the way they'd been done before we had modern conveniences. I'm passing those skills along, sometimes with the help of modern technology. The internet is wonderful, but will never replace old folks that know stuff. I will never be able to pass along enough of what I have learned about living. Living. You can call it prepping, I was raised this way. I can't get enough of it!

I'm the old hippie now. ;-)

HD

8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Not sure if this belongs on it's own thread, but I have been getting garden sprayers strictly for water and putting out fires.
    Who is going to be putting out your fires post SHTF ?

chelloveck, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I use those at parades now, to cool down the marchers as needed. (Always well received)

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

All I know and I know this with every once of my being, The more I prepare the longer I will last before we start spiraling down. I will cherish every day my endeavors provide us with.

Motomom34, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Amen,@Kingfish preach on brother. I will never have enough. There will always be one more I want to feed.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I don't know. I have thought so much about this subject. I do wonder if life holds the same zest it did before I started prepping. I used to be like the masses and we did vacations and road trips. We used to go to the driving range for family fun, we had not been in years but we went last weekend. It cost about $30 bucks and that $30 instead of going towards preps went for fun. I know it doesn't sound like much but a lot of that fun got cut from the budget in order to play catch up. I am not 100% where I want to be in being prepared but it seems I get close to where I want to be and I raise the bar.

GOG and T. Riley like this.
  13. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I know what you mean. My goal use to be food for 10. Then it became 12..14..etc., got to be a stopping point somewhere. Then it's time to work on knowledge and practice which can be free and just as important, if not more so, and you have the same feeling; you're better prepared this week than last.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  14. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Ya gotta make sure you budget both your time and money for some fun.
    What good is living if you ain't enjoying at least some of it?

All work and no play will turn you into Hillary Clinton :eek:

Motomom34 and T. Riley like this.
  15. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I thought it was, "all work and no play and you turn into Betty White or Joe Pesci" ;)

Here, have a
    upload_2016-4-27_11-51-8. You'll feel better. ;)

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Working is my hobby, my vacation, and retirement.
    If I'm not productive, I'm frustrated.

Ganado, T. Riley and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

There has to be something more. It is hard to do nothing. Rarely am I able to sit and watch a whole movie.

Ganado likes this.
  18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Having fun != doing nothing. I have fun riding my bike, walking the dogs, playing with my kids' mother, reloading, shooting and even doing some forms of "work"...splitting wood for example. Any task can be fun...it all depends on your attitude while doing it. I think the key is not to be always doing the same thing as "fun" and turning into "work".

Motomom34, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  19. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I've been doing a great deal of reflection about this topic and I realize I have an awful lot to sort out.

Motomom34 likes this.
  20. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

When I am not working, I don't fish, hunt much, bowl, play golf or watch TV. Prepping is my hobby. When I'm not doing it, I'm thinking about it, or reading about it. Don't know what I would be doing otherwise except growing old.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Dunerunner