TOTM April 2016- When is enough enough?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 1, 2016.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Aaaaaa splitting wood ,that's what I'd do in high school, when I needed to burn off some frustration. Good therapy .
    perfecting the act of swinging an ax, accurately ,effectively, and efficiently. my own personal challenges, made it fun.
    It seems that we choose a lot of distraction to deal with our civilized society unlike our fore fathers that did not have a lot of "things" as we do .
    It seems that we have so many conveniences that we have too much time on our hands , idle hands are the devils workshop so to speak.
    Bored kids get into trouble with nothing better to do, and work is the last thing on the list, but nonproductive play which is in some ways harder then work, is preferred .
    When I turned my work into play , I could not understand how any one could be bored.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I always break the ax handles...

3. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

My grandparents would have survived SHTF doing nothing different. They lived in a small community with cows, hogs, chickens and a large garden. They had a well, a fire place and no A/C. They worked from sun up to sun down. I will have enough when I catch up to where they were in the '70's.

“ If you are without bread, how much wisdom can you boast, and of what real utility are your talents, if you cannot procure for yourselves and save against a day of scarcity those substances designed to sustain your natural lives?”....from the Mormons

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
  4. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Is all my Prepping Just a Waste of Time?
    by Dale
    [​IMG]Prepping, Second Guessing and Self Doubt
    Let’s admit it, we all have our doubts about preparedness at times. Not necessarily about how important preparedness is, but about what we are doing, why we are doing it and how we are doing it. ” at one point or another we have all had it. Read more of this post

Dale | April 28, 2016 at 2:02 am | Categories: Beginning Prepping, Featured Posts, Prepping Skills, Survivalist Prepper Podcast | URL: Is all my Prepping Just a Waste of Time? | SurvivalistPrepper.net

Also posted else where here as it's own thread.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

This thread addresses a great question!!
    It's funny, at first I was doing this out of Paranoia, now I do it as a lifestyle. I never knew I liked to grow food, raise animals,etc.
    The more prepared I get the better I feel about life in general.I am much calmer now, and am at the point where I feel ready for anything.
    I took a rough guesstimate on my stuff and am about 20 K into it at this point, which averages out to 5 k a year since I started.
    I do get some of that money back in produce and meat, it's not that much of a financial burden,
    .I really enjoy tinkering with stuff on youtube.
    I noticed some of the people here are older or retired, it definitely will keep your mind busy.
    With all that's happening in the world right now you would have to be insane not to have emergency supplies on hand in the first place, regardless of your conspiratorial outlook on things!

GOG, arleigh, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I fall in that category....I do what I do for myself, but also for others whom I care about, and care for. For their benefit, but also for their inspiration. The kind of leadership that I hope they will assume when I am no longer around to provide it.

GOG, Gopherman, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  7. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

As do we all, I would imagine. It keeps my mind nimble, always thinking bout what's next.
    I just got back from visiting my folk's. They are in their upper 70's. Dad takes care of my Mom who has decided to just give up and quit exercising so she has a hard time walking, she's fading fast, where as my Dad is always moving and thinking, he'll outlive her I think! That's all I meant by my Older Person comment.
    Those who have a purpose, regardless of what it is, fare much better than those who just sit around or give up!

Motomom34, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]

Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Nature taught me to prep; hurricanes, blizzards and ice storms passed a lot easier when well fed.

Back to the OP's question: When is enough enough?
    Perhaps when you notice your X thousand pounds of preps all expire about the same time. :D

1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Yard Dart
  6. fl4848
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Yard Dart