TOTM January 2015 Prepping/Survival Goals

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Hunting and fishing skills and gear upgrade?
    If you can't grow your own lettuce....learn to kill and eat the furries that do.
    :)

Yard Dart, Grayhawk845 and kellory like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have had a garden for a few years. Prior to putting in the planter boxes, I watched the sun for a season. I knew the sunniest spot on our property and we put the boxes there. I have had decent harvest from my garden but not great. @alaskachick had suggested a while back to plant in containers. I noticed that the containers do better. My garden is too hot. The elevation, heat is just hurting the plants. I have to move my garden. I don't know if I will be doing it this year because I cannot reuse all of the materials we used on our existing.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

We will be cutting down the two boxes i made two years ago to be 1 2x6 high instead of 3. The good thing is we'll go from 2 boxes to 6. :)

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Pulled the trigger on a place in the hills, garden beds in place, work shop, well under/in the house. Oppps opsec.
    Plan to go to 75% grown on site, with 25% with father in a share crop deal in a adjoining county.

5. my goals are to learn how to survive in the woods and hopefully meet bigfoot :) (was just reading lots of stories).

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Plans for 2015:
    Gardening: increase yield by decreasing the variety of what I plant. I have found that I try to plant a little of a lot of stuff and as a result I don't get any real useful yields from the garden. I will keep one of my 2x8 beds as my "experimental bed" where I can try different varieties and types of veggies. I also tend to overcrowd some plants (like tomatoes), so I'll reduced the number of tomato plant I grow.

Health: Continue to work on dropping some unneeded weight. Trying to find that right Diet/Lifestyle that will help me with this.

Family: Continue to spend more time with my kids and wife. The kids are starting to get a "social" life, so having time to do things with them is starting to get into the planning stages instead of "hey, lets go do this".

Financial: Increase our savings and cash on hand.

Self-Reliance: On our hunting property, get water installed (city), get old well inspected, purchase and install solar/battery system. Our hunting property is off-grid and will remain that way for the electrical. Having the city water installed is the first step towards making it easier to spend time there. I am also planning (key word, planning) on getting food plots setup to help bring in more deer and wild animals to put meat in the freezer.

7. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Much more intensive gardening is the main goal this year. Already inventoried my seed collection(do it late December/early January every year) so I know what I need to order this year. It's probably a good thing I don't have $500 available, or I would spend it all easily on the nursery catalogs. And hopefully teach the kittens to not mess with our stuff. Didn't do a Christmas tree this holiday season because they would have annihilated it.

Motomom34 and alaskachick like this.
  8. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Teac
    teach me a language and I can teach you gardening :)

9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

One more to add. After reading a post on the comms board last night I decided that I've put it off long enough. So, I found a few Ham clubs in this area and I'm going to contact a couple today. I will be a licensed ham by the end of the year...

10. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Well My main goal is to finish a few of the 9 gazillion projects i have started or horded parts i had to have ...

But on a reacent trip through the hills of Mexico i realized that i just need to keep it simple to survive.
    People are surviving all over the world every day using just the basics...

{on a side note: while riding threw the hills where horses are still the mane source of transpertation and the donkeys are hauling the milk and woman are caring some mushed up corn stuff in a bowl on there heads when school lets out there stands 25 kids on the side of the road TEXTING...
    I yelled at my driver everone is here who the hell are they texting???}

Keep it simple!!!!!2015

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Just knocked #1 off the list. Replacement flush mount charge controller panel on it's way. Now for the battery bank.

Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  12. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

My to do list:

1. Empty the manure pit --- Done
    2. Locate the short the gophers made in the underground cable to the birds and electric gate.
    3. Locate the short the gophers made in the underground cable to the yard light.
    4. Kill the gophers.
    5. Remove 2 - 5,000 gallon underground rain water tanks melted in the wildfire.
    6. Build 20'X20'X16' high underground cinder block room, install the 2 new water tanks, add 2 story BOL in the rest of the room.
    no permit required for a "well house", build a ramada on top of the roof of the BOL (phase II), permit will be required.
    7. Clean the sand out of the creek and use it to make the orchard (that I bought trees for 2 years ago).
    8. The list goes on, get the Bronco running, sell the 2 - 240Z's, sell the Jag.

I'm tired just thinking about it, and then there's the 3 grain kits for the beer I haven't gotten to brew yet (stored in the Freezer, that should have food in it).

I think my todo list wins!!!

Motomom34, kellory and ditch witch like this.
  13. Tully Mars

I'll help with #4:D

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

240 Z's..... mmmmmm :5s:

I had a 260 that I had refurbed and sold for twice what I had into it. The car was blazing fast.... I miss it and one of these days going to do another.

Tully Mars likes this.
  15. Tully Mars

Had a 240 that I got from my Dad. Gave it to my kid brother and had to watch its slow demise...:( But, what did I expect out of a 19 yr old Airman??:eek:

Yard Dart likes this.
  16. Yard Dart

What do you expect out of a 19 year old... let alone an airman. ;)

17. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Ahhh yes to watch the demise, they will arise again, the one I bought new in '71 is in need of new rubber to move again after the wild fire, but it didn't burn, the '72 needs less work, I had room for both of them in the 5 car garage until other stuff got put in there...

Tully Mars likes this.
  18. csaws

csaws Monkey+

Just updated my original post, how is it going for the rest of you?

Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have classes booked for January and February, plus I have knitting lessons. I will keep at knitting but I am secretly hoping my instructor will revoke my needles and tell me to go take archery lessons. My husband gave me the okay to move and expand the garden, I don't know if it will be complete and ready for Spring planting due to drainage issues. But it will give me hope, I am finally be getting closer to my dream garden.

20. Yard Dart

[worthless]

We really need knitting pics...... well the garden as it comes together also :)

Sapper John and Motomom34 like this.
  1. OlDiceGames
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Prepsteader13
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Alanaana
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Thunder5Ranch