TOTM June, 2015 - Mistakes made, lessons learned

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ghrit, May 31, 2015.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

All the salmon Canned here is sold under other outfit's Label.. like BumbleBee Seafoods.... and much of it goes to the UK and Europe... Our In-House Brands are Pillar Rock and Red Rock brands... We didn't can ANY salmon last year or the Year before due to small Salmon runs.... It all went frozen or fresh out of here...

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No shit fact.

oldman11 likes this.
  3. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Dried milk in #10 cans keeps a long time, I'm currently using some that we bought 30 years ago, and it's still good. I never did like the taste of any dried milk, and use it mostly for baking bread, or making cream gravy.

Beef flavored TVP is OK in casserole dishes, it tastes best if you spice it well.

Most spices store well if kept cool and dry, I'm still using some I put away 20 years ago. They are still flavorful.

For fountain pen aficionados, plastic refill cartridges will dry out over time, if you want to greatly extend their shelf life, store them in a jar of water

Motomom34, HK_User and oldman11 like this.
  4. john316

john316 Monkey+++

dup................................

5. BTPost

Ours come out with labels from BumbleBee, Pillar Rock, & Red Rock BRANDS... See Post #41 in this thread...

john316 likes this.
  6. john316

john316 Monkey+++

is all of BUMBLE BEE CANNED IN AMERICA....Ihave some "product of Thailand" cans......but now the cans say "Made inU.S.A." ...BUT THE COMPANY
    IS A Thailand company. i will check out the other 2. thank you.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  7. BTPost

No much of it comes from USA caught fish that is frozen, shipped to Thailand, canned there, and then shipped back to the USA... To be sold all around the world...

8. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

OK, this is embarrassing. When I was a young Wolf pup, I thought big plastic bags of rice and beans would store OK in the pantry. We had lots of cats, no rodent would survive long at our house. I didn't use Mylar lined plastic food grade buckets topped off with nitrogen, just the original plastic bags.

Guess what I found in the bags a couple of years later? If you say "BUGS" , you are right!

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

• [​IMG]
    About the product
    • MERCURY TESTED - We hand pick premium wild salmon, then test each and every one to a mercury limit that is thirty times (30x) lower than the FDA action limit. Safe Catch Pink Salmon meets Consumer Reports’ “Low Mercury” criteria set for pregnant women and children, and is the official salmon of the American Pregnancy Association.
    • ARTISAN COOK PROCESS - Most canned salmon loses flavor and the majority of Omega 3s due to precooking and machine processing. We hand pack premium raw wild salmon steaks to retain all the vital Omega 3 oils and nutrients and then slow cook them to perfection.
    • NOTHING ADDED, NOTHING DRAINED - We don’t add oil, water, fillers, preservatives, or GMO-Soy broth to our tuna. It’s just pure wild salmon. Just empty the can into a bowl and mix together so the salmon reabsorbs any natural fish oils. Please do not drain.
    • SUSTAINABLY CAUGHT - Our Pink Salmon is sustainably wild caught without using FADs or long lines. We are a proud partner of the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch program and Vancouver Aquarium Ocean Wise Seafood program.
    HK
    Canned in Thailand.
    Can be purchased on Amazon

EDIT
    Question:
    Where is this salmon caught from?
    Answer:
    Safe Catch Wild Pink Salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) is caught in the Northeast Pacific, which is part of the Alaska salmon fishery. The Alaska salmon fishery is a Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) certified fishery.
    By Safe Catch Seller on August 13, 2018
    See more answers (1)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    ghrit likes this.
  10. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

^^^^^^^ $4.50 @5oz? I'll have to find another source of protein. SPAM is about $2.50 per 12oz. plus you get free salt. Or just phone up a 6lb. catfish toll free.

Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Care to start a thread on phoning up catfish?

ghrit and HK_User like this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

What, and have the fish cops put me on a list? Anyway the last time I tried that the "phone system" hadn't gone digital and my '67 Ford F100 had less than 10,000 miles on it.

HK_User likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Gray Wolf
  4. Motomom34
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner