TOTM - November 2015 OPSEC

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ghrit, Nov 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

For those of you with kids like me... I know kids love to impress. That's how I know my son's friends whose dad's own weapons and what kind. For that reason, my son keeps asking when we're gonna get weapons for when shtf. He believes all we have is the Ruger air rifle I taught him with. When I recently moved, I had a tough time explaining an AR clip he spotted in the process. You can never account for everything, but good situational awareness should lead to good opsec. If not, IMHO, you're doing something wrong. As far as electronics, I assume everything is compromised at all times. Keeps what I do and say limited to info that won't put me behind the 8 ball. I always assume we're behind the technological curve, and try not to put any faith in security measures thereof. I live in a need to know way of thinking, that is, you don't need to know. ;)

Altoidfishfins and Ganado like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Depends how old your Son, (children) is/are.... OpSec is something that should be taught in the Home, at the same time, as Personal Integrity, and Personal Accountability. "What happens in the Family, Stays in the Family." My children were introduced to Firearms, as soon as they could Hold Them, with Mom or Dad, Helping..... We went shooting, when we went camping.... By age 12, they were very familiar with ALL the weapons in the Weapons Locker, and on that BirthDay, part of their individual Birthday Present, was a .22LR Rifle, that they choose, from the Catalog.... They then, were REQUIRED to take, and pass, the NRA Marksmanship Course, and the Hunter Safety Course, at the local Gun Range. When these were passed, they were allowed to possess the Ammunition, for their weapon. With these "Privileges" came the "Responsibility" for their actions, in regards to their weapon. Each Young Adult was schooled in Handgun Marksmanship, starting at 14 years old, On their 21st Birthday, or Marriage, which ever came first, they were given the Handgun of their choice, from the Catalog, as part of the Family Present for that occasion. OpSec was just another thing that we taught, along with Prep'ing, and Family... When each child, Married, they were given their part of the Family Preps, as part of the Wedding Presen, to get them started off in the right direction.. This precedent, was setup in my family, back 4 Generations, and will hopefully be carried on for the next 4 Generations.

3. Rocky Road Lerp

Rocky Road Lerp Monkey+++

[winkthumb]

4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I really can't recommend any of them.

5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

One of the things I notice that many here don't seem to pay attention to is how much info about you and your location posting pictures that you have taken with a digital camera gives away...the metadata embedded in digital photos includes a lot of things it would surprise many that they are putting out there.

ANYTHING you post on a forum such as this is available to federal agencies (which is something else of which we should be aware), and we should be aware that we are all likely on a few "lists", but the data about where and when pictures were taken are available to anyone with relatively sophisticated computer skills.

Just food for thought...

[peep]
    Yes, I am paranoid...for good reason.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@PaxMentis you are correct and we were all compromised long ago. I am discrete on the internet not because of the government (that ship has sailed) but to keep wacko's from knowing my exact location.

7. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I'm still paranoid...but I no longer care. If I don't want something to be public knowledge, I will not communicate it on venues were it can be compromised....otherwise, I am going to say what I think and let the chips fall where they may, my life and my fate are completely in the hands of God (sounds funny coming from someone who doesn't fancy organized religions, eh?) . OPSEC is one thing, but I will not stifle my opinions due to the potential consequences of doing so...that would be living on my knees...I have bad knees and can't tolerate that kind of living. ;)

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

To add some more thinking, who do you let inside your house, and what housekeeping do you do ahead of the visits?

9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

lol who owns real estate in their own name? I don't. Never have never will, you reduce your liability by putting your assests in S corps or trusts.

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Very few get to enter my house...and many fewer get to leave....Muahahahah

You make a good point though, ghrit....must empty my freezer.

11. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Chell you bury bodies outback.Never store them in your freezer. GADS MAN, imagine the smell if the power goes out!

12. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I had an oh chit moment here a few weeks ago over this very thing. We are remodeling the kitchen and at the time I had all the cabinet doors off and in the garage to be sanded. A sheep friend came by without warning to pick up eggs and chat and was like, OMG you guys have a lot of food! Erm, yeah not exactly what I wanted her to see because she has a very loud mouth. I told her it was mostly expired and we were donating it to the local can drive that rolls around on Halloween, and that I wasn't buying canned stuff any more because we never eat it anyway. She bought it, but ugh.

When we first moved here, the old bat across the street came by at 8 AM to nose around, er I mean welcome us to the hood. I did not invite her in because the Mr was scampering about in his underwear and the house was a mess from moving in. I found out later she told everyone I was a mean person because I didn't let her come inside.

At any rate I need to get better about my "housekeeping" because I've been making friends around the block lately and they're bound to show up unannounced sooner or later, and I can't very well make them stand on the porch since they invite me in to their homes.

13. Aeason

Aeason Monkey

Thank goodness I am lucky enough to live in the country, no other houses in sight.nearest neighbors are two of my sons and a transplant from who knows where and is totally worthless in any situation. My prepper son and I were talking last night about bugging out, he said it best all we can do is to bug in as only place to go would be the woods and plenty of people would probably be there foraging. We do have a good defensive position and have planned on defence, besides food and such all my boys grew up with firearms, one was an instructor in the marines, he's the prepper, lives short way through the woods on my six. Got more kin, third and fourth cousins on around the road ,really don't know about them.I guess there will be a lot of hard decisions to be made, reality is brutal some times.

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

A very good reason to have the bulk of your Prep's NOT in the "Public Areas" of the house.... Yea, it makes it a bit more work, but those are the compromises that we make, for OpSec reasons....

15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

There goes that phrase again "mean person", a non defined self serving statement to cover all situations used by those that are under handed and small minded. Which projects the worst of the worst to those like minded.

Most often used by those who have lost all respectability or have nothing to gain unless it is to degrade others.

I like it when folks use that phrase, it tells the whole story in short order and lets you know who to ignore and the gossip they spread.

Thanks ditch witch you brought back fond memories of those I always avoid an why I do so.......

Depends on the state in which the property is.

Homestead laws are from the "spanish land laws", heritage in which I live. OTOH, those Damn English will let anyone have your property and all of it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2015
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@HK_User I dont understand what that means. You can own property in any name you like. Its how you go about it.

17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Homestead laws, in my state, hold your homestead as a "trust" for the owner. Even the worst case law suite against you or your property will allow you to keep your home, barn an a stated amount of property to allow you to survive on your homestead.

LLC or Sole Proprietor laws are yet another story but do not provide the same amount of protection.

18. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

ok Thanks @HK_User now I understand what you are saying.

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My kitchen pantry is stuffed with normal day to day use food, bottled water and assorted items. Though nothing in there is of unusual quantities. I deliberately store all of my prep food in tubs stored elsewhere in the house, so the casual visitor does not notice them if they look in the pantry, which is usually open.

20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am 100% with @chimo on this. I tried the ultra-OpSec route and it felt unnatural and not true. I proudly have an NRA sticker on my car, which I put on a few months ago and it will stay. I proudly displayed a Ron Paul for Prez sticker. I use my debt card, have a social media account. I am in plain sight. I am not hiding because if you hide too much, that could cause curiosity. Yes, some areas are not divulged but mainly, I will not cower, I will not hide. I proudly fly the American flag. Like it was mentioned above, I have been on all the sites and I am sure the alphabet agencies have me on a list. I think the question is- who are you OpSec'ing from? Me? the gov't probably already knows. So basically I omit some aspects of my life from the people around me.

1. Brokor
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. DKR
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. DKR
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Motomom34