TOTM November 2020 - The Go To Meal

Discussion in 'Survival Topic of the Month' started by Dunerunner, Nov 3, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

There have been times when things were tight, especially during this Covid-19 lock down.
    Just a few of my go to meals that last more than one sitting....

Chili, Potato soup, Navy bean with smoked ham hock soup...

Any of the above three are thrifty and will last two to three sittings by themselves or with a little ingenuity...

What are your go to meals?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    jim2, GOG, Altoidfishfins and 3 others like this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Beans 'n cornbread. Pinto beans slow cooked with half an onion and a ham hock or ham bone.
    Potato soup
    Fried rice with whatever veg or leftover meat I have that needs to be used. Or with spam chunks which is pretty dang good. Fried rice is best with day old rice that's a little on the dry side, IMO, so I usually make a double batch, do one batch as spanish rice with some chicken chunks in it and the rest of it the next day for fried rice.

TinyDreams, GOG, tired-medic and 5 others like this.
  3. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Mac and cheese and tuna, beans on rice, chicken on rice, broiled salmon and rice, seared mahi mahi... and rice, flounder and... rice, beans on beans... trying the emergency rations.

... ok so I miscalculated food fatigue.

GOG, Yard Dart, Seepalaces and 3 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Lentils and Smoked Canned Ham is our number 1 go to, a pound bag will make about 4 pounds of food, enough for 4 people to last 3 days or so depending on what else we make to go with it, usually Crendal Bread, Pilot bread or Poverty bread rolls! Beef trimmings fried up with Taters and onions like home fries is a good one as well, and a good hearty Beef ( or other red meats) Stone Stew ( My fav) will usually last a week, especially with the wife making Poverty Bread ( kind of like large Hoggie rolls) to make trenchers with! I love the versatility of Trenchers, they can really boost up your food stocks and extend your meals out a few more servings, plus, it's easy and low tech, just the thing when SHTF!

GOG, Seepalaces, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Red beans and rice, eggs bacon and toast, beef stroganoff...basically whatever.

GOG, Seepalaces, Dunerunner and 2 others like this.
  6. Dunerunner

I like it them all... Some I've never heard of... So, must have ingredients, seasonings, directions
    .... Please.

techsar, Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Fried rice - reminds me of back in the 70s when I was working for a military contractor in Thailand. There was a Thai restaurant just off the AF base in the north eastern part of the country near the border with Laos. We got $7.50 / per diem for dinner and a gigantic plate full of fried rice, called cowpot, (beef, chicken, pork, shrimp or mystery meat, your choice) could be had for 50 cents. In those days we got to pocket whatever we didn't spend over the daily $7.50 amount without the IRS breathing down our necks.

No choice was bad. It all tasted great although I'm glad I never got to see where the meat came from.

That was quite a remote corner of the country. A guy could get a bottle of Mekong Mash (rumored to be laced with formaldehyde), dinner with a lady and breakfast the next morning with her too for 100 Baht, also known as a Red Note 'cause they were printed with red ink. A Baht was equivalent to a nickle, so 100 Baht was five bucks. It was almost seventh heaven for a horny 20 year old.

Just as a side note, I always passed on the Mekong Mash in favor of Singh-Ha beer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    GOG, techsar, Ganado and 3 others like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

khao pad gai (chicken) khao pad moo (pork) The others I've forgotten. All fine eating if you trusted the shop.

9. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I could eat split pea soup once a day with some corn bread or other biscuit.
    black beans, rice, diced tomatoes and what ever meat to be had (prefer sausage) the other meal.
    eggs from the chickens roaming around the yard for breakfast with some homemade bread and butter.

GOG, Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

A variation of the SI Regionally Famous MESSY MIKE. Whole Hog T5R Ground Pork cooked on a flat top with onions and peppers with lemon juice, black peppers and crushed garlic. I make 10 pounds of the ground pork at a time.
    DSC01620.JPG

Line it up and grill it up.
    DSC01623.JPG

Pull it all together.
    DSC01626.JPG
    Then decided which variations I will make from there. Usually it is a sloppy Joe type creation.
    DSC01627.JPG
    That is the top seller on the Chuck Wagon as a sandwich.
    DSC01629.JPG

But make different versions like Jalapeno, buffalo sauce, CheeZ Sauce, Mac N CheeZ Sauce with the meat mixed in to mac n cheez 50/50. And yeah always a can of my favorite beer gets dumped into every batch.
    DSC01637.JPG

Also love the grilled black beans, corn and Cilantro mixed in with it.
    DSC01644.JPG

Always have 20-30 pounds of each variation tubbed up in the freezers. The 1# and 2# deli tubs are also a top seller but more important are cheap heat n serve meals for us that are always on hand. Want to stretch a tub out mix it 50/50 with the rice of yer choice and you have a meal on a bun in each one pound tub that will make 8 sandwiches with the rice or 4 without.
    DSC01634.JPG

If I go hungry then there is really something terribly wrong in the world!
    123085350_10217096721722184_5128900998488375712_n.

The Apron was a gift hand crafted by one of my market vendors and given to me by all of the Vendors when I retired from the Farmers Market Scene this year. If you like it and want one of Sharon's Custom Aprons drop me a PM and I will give you her contact info..... She will ship anywhere in the Continental USA :) Also makes a lot of other stuff like purses, face diapers, T shirts, swamp hats etc. All by hand and Customized and unique fer each customer. Very Pro Work and very fair prices from a small business trying to get by in lean times :)

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  11. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Home made biscuits with sausage gravy.
    An Arab dish called Shourda Abs. This is a thick lentil soup with beef sausage, onions, garlic some cumin and pepper for seasoning, using bone, beef, or chicken broth as a base.
    7 continent cornbread
    Red kidney beans simmered for hours with pork, onions, and carrots.
    A big pot feeds 7 of us for 3 days.

GOG, Dunerunner and ditch witch like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Recipe - V8 Juice or Bloody Mary Mix
    Does the above count? Have a large family gathering this weekend :p

For large gatherings i like to cook any cheap piece of meat like brisket
    BRISKET
    2 T Olive oil
    2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
    1 T liquid smoke
    Combine with spices below rub on brisket

Ingredients
    • 1/2 cup light brown sugar

• 1 tbsp salt OR salt free seasoning
    • 2 tbsp garlic powder
    • 2 tbsp onion powder
    • 2 tbsp paprika
    • 1 tsp ground black pepper
    • 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
    • ½ tsp thyme or1 tbsp parsley flakes
    Spray the cooker with non-stick oil. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours until brisket is very tender, flipping over half way through cooking. If your brisket is tough, it just needs to cook longer.

Barbecue Sauce
    • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
    • 1/3 cup molasses
    • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
    • 1/4 cup seedless blackberry preserves
    • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    • 1 tablespoon reserved Spice Rub from above
    • 1 tablespoon mesquite liquid smoke optional but recommended*
    Meanwhile, add all of the Barbecue Sauce ingredients to the 1 tablespoon reserved Spice Rub and whisk to combine. Remove 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and add to slow cooker along with 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce and 1 tablespoon beef bouillon. Whisk to combine (the bouillon will not be completely dissolved but will dissolve during cooking).

Remove brisket to a foil lined baking sheet. Brush with barbecue sauce and broil 5-10 minutes, until slightly caramelized. Meanwhile, microwave or simmer remaining barbecue sauce until warmed through.

Brush brisket again with barbecue sauce and slice across the grain or chop if desired. Serve with remaining barbecue sauce plain or they make delicious sandwiches. (See side dish suggestions below recipe.)

MAKE AHEAD: I often will cook my brisket until tender then remove the removable ceramic insert and refrigerate the brisket in the juices. The next day, I skip off all the hardened fat then cook on LOW in the slow cooker for 1-2 hours until warmed through and proceed with recipe.​

Serve with fall roasted root veggies
    Parsnips
    sweet potatoes
    rutabaga
    carrots
    or you can do thick sliced cabbage
    put oil and spices in plastic bag, coat slices veggies thoroughly, roast in oven. I broil them for 10 min to a side. Sometimes slighly less time depends on the veggie. you can bake at 350 but i dont find them to be as crispy on the outside cooked that way

BTW you can grill these too.

for spices
    thyme
    salt (or garlic salt)
    pepper
    to taste, garlic powder

IF we gather in the spring we grill asparagus, peppers, onions, garlic, zucchini, or any spring squash, corn, eggplant, whatever is in season.

I do add balsalmic vinegar to the oil and spices in the spring.

GOG, techsar, Gray Wolf and 3 others like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

For smaller crowds
    TACOS in Butter lettuce shell
    Ground beef/pork I like to mix both
    Taco Seasoning
    Ingredients
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    • ¼ teaspoon onion powder
    • ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
    • ½ teaspoon paprika
    • 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    Instructions
    1. Combine all seasonings together and store in an airtight container.
    2. I used one recipe in one pound meat of your choice. Recipe can easily be doubled and use more or less to taste.
    serve with
    grated cheese
    sour cream (or yogurt)
    Salsa
    you can make salsa but i find this to taste better
    tomatoes
    onions
    anaheim, pablano or any pepper
    cilantro fresh
    2 leaves of basil

chop into small pieces
    salt and pepper to taste and spoon over the tacos meat as a topping in your butter lettuce shell

you can also buy low carb tortillas if that is easier. I just like the texture of butter lettuce

GOG, techsar, Gray Wolf and 1 other person like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

For Breakfast
    Crockpot Breakfast Casserole

Prep time 15 mins
    Cook time 4 hours
    Total time 4 hours 15 mins

A medley of hash browns, scrambled eggs, omelets, and bacon all packed into one hearty and delicious slice!
    Serves: 8
    Ingredients
    • 10 eggs
    • ¾ cup milk
    • 2 tsp stone ground mustard
    • ½ tsp garlic salt
    • 1 tsp salt
    • ½ tsp pepper
    • 1 30 oz bag frozen hash browns
    • optional: 4 strips cooked bacon
    • ½ onion, roughly chopped
    • 2 bell peppers, roughly chopped
    • 1 small head of broccoli, roughly chopped
    • 6 oz cheddar cheese
    Instructions
    1. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, milk, mustard, garlic salt, and salt and pepper. Set aside.
    2. Lightly grease the bottom of your crockpot. Place half the hash browns on the bottom. Layer with half the bacon, chopped onion, bell peppers, broccoli, and cheese. Add on the last half of the hash browns, then top with the rest of the veggies, bacon, and cheese. Pour all of the egg mixture on top.
    3. Cover and cook for 4 hours on low. Serve hot!
    Notes
    *Make sure to properly season your casserole! If you don't have garlic salt, replace it with salt and add in garlic powder or any other seasonings you love.

*The texture of this will be more spongy. If you prefer more texture to your bake, try using frozen diced potatoes instead.

GOG, techsar, Gray Wolf and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

For Christmas I always have chili in the crock pot with cornbread and tortilla's on standby. Along with assorted deserts. Can feed alot of people with chili and a separate pot of beans

Christmas for me is about family so anyone and everyone is invited to my home. We play cards, dominos, do 'who done it' jigsaw puzzles and assorted other games. Monopoly is big as is Risk for world domination.

I think @Seacowboys chili post is one of the best chili recipes ever. I served it last year got rave reviews will be serviing again this year. Thanks Sea!
    Recipe - Seacowboy's Chili

Haven't worked out how to adapt for slow cooker so i just make and put in slow cooker to keep warm

Ok that's it from me for now otherwise I will be accused of spamming the forum again. lol

techsar, Gray Wolf and Dunerunner like this.
  16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Eggs and bacon. Ingredients: Eggs, bacon, butter, salt & pepper. IMG_20201102_060146.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    3cyl, GOG, Ganado and 4 others like this.
  17. hot diggity

The Primal Omelet. Eggs, cheese, meat, maybe some sauteed mushrooms, salt & pepper.
    This is pretty much the limit of my cooking skills. One pan, on spatula and some eggs, cheese and meat.
    I used to make stacks of hotcakes, but I'm avoiding grains, so I haven't made them in 25 years.

IMG_20200720_061103.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    3cyl, GOG, Dunerunner and 1 other person like this.
  18. hot diggity

Often I don't even need a full meal. Five Macadamia nuts, or 5 almonds can make a meal. Or, because I have limited cooking ability in the range house, I'll eat canned chicken salad, tuna, or a tin of oysters. When I'm not in the tower I can use this as a
    go to meal....
    kyocera 5 21 17 003.

SB21, GOG and Dunerunner like this.
  19. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Red Beans slow cooked with andouille sausage over rice.
    Large Lima beens slow cooked with ham and tasso.
    Chicken and andouille gumbo over rice.
    I make one of the above when I get to the Farm and eat it noon and night till gone.

20. Dunerunner

I buy smoked pork shanks (ham hocks) whenever I see them in the market and freeze them. Great for soups. Beans, Lentils, and split peas (green and yellow) in bulk are always on hand as are onion and garlic.

Along with potato soup, I like to add some clam juice and chopped clams or corn for chowder.

1. JC Refuge
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. JC Refuge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. ditch witch
  8. Ganado
  9. Zimmy
  10. chelloveck
  11. Ganado
  12. Motomom34