Trailer Mounted Power Solution

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Yard Dart, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Thought I would share an idea for trailer mounting portable power that someone may find useful. We use this Onan 16 KW rig for construction site use, where we do not have temp. power plumbed in.... It is a nice way to enclose everything, yet have access panels on the exterior for controls, connections and such. It also allows us to secure and protect the equipment much better than an open frame type mount.

IMG_0743.JPG

IMG_0744.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

IMG_0749.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0746.JPG

arleigh, kellory, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nice DJF Series Onan, Air Cooled, with a. YD Brushless GenEnd....

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I'll take one, although 16 kW is probably just a little overkill for my purposes.

Hey BTW @BTPost, thx for the pointer on the availability of used Onan diesel gensets. Always wanted a lo speed (1800 rpm) diesel generator. But one look at a the price of a new 5 kW and I choked. Never thought about a used one.

So now I'm checking the local craigslist from time to time. There are Onan gensets, (propane and gasoline), but so far no diesel. Only been looking a week or so since your post on the subject. Checking every few days will probably yield results. One or two of the used Onans being offered were in junked out RVs (no diesels). Since most of the larger RVs are diesel, so should be the generators.

chelloveck, Yard Dart and BTPost like this.
  4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Did this with my homebuilt....

IMG_0050.JPG

arleigh and Yard Dart like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

DSCN4148.JPG DSCN4149.JPG DSCN4150.JPG DSCN4152.JPG DSCN4153.JPG
    I have been recommending trailer mounted units for years. I started 35 years ago or more building the trailer and the solar right into it as well as adding the 6500 watt diesel gen and my welder as well .
    The wind mill I added just a few years ago. I don't really get enough wind to justify it, but having moved several times you never know what you'll get the nest place you move to.
    Last few years the wind has risen so I'm hopeful.
    There is an antenna mast in the picture behind the wind mill so don't confuse it .
    Below the sand blast cabinet, is a filter I built for the blast cabinet , seems to work pretty good .
    Behind the switch panel is MY charge controller/Automotive voltage regulator. set to top out at 14.8. I have a pot for fine tuning when batteries get old or I add another panel ect.
    Sorry for the mess , I have no excuse except that there is so much to do and it's easy to get distracted around here.

kellory likes this.
  6. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

Altoidfishfins, the Onan gas units are 1800rpm as well, for the most part.

7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

upload_2016-4-23_18-54-17.

upload_2016-4-23_19-20-57.

my genny....

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Prepper12
  2. techsar
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. CodE BluE
  6. Asia-Off-Grid