Trash and OPSEC

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Oddcaliber, May 19, 2019.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

While taking out the trash today it got me thinking about OPSEC and personal information. Obviously you don't want your information to be available to anyone except those that need to know. Utility bills,credit card statements, bank withdrawals can give a lot of information about you. So, how does one prevent this? Back in my Navy days one of the ships I was assigned to had a compartment for burning radio messages and other classified information. Can't read ashes! Other methods included shredding. Most office supply places have these. Saw one that turned the pages into confetti. Can't put that back together either. My current method is to use a BBQ and just burn it. Your thoughts.

Lancer, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 3 others like this.
  2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

yeah same here burn or shred

3. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

Old mail,anything with my name on it is burned.
    [flag]

4. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Shred and burn in these parts.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have a concrete burn pit. All paper trash gets burned.

3cyl, snake6264, oldman11 and 5 others like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Our trash gets burnrd in an Incineratot, fueled with 5 USG of #2 Diesel, and 1 USG of Gasoline mixed... Dump in the trash, pour the fuel liberally over the whole load, and then use a FireCracker to ignite the load... Works for us, and we send the ashes, once a year, to the a LandFill in Washington...

7. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

It ain't purdy since 1 bag of house trash and 25-30 forty gallon bags of market trash get burned in it every week, but it is effective. Every couple of years I load what is left of the cans and glass into the dump truck and dump it in the landfill. This 3 years and really need to get it cleaned up....... when it dries out enough to get the bucket tractor to it.

DSC00850.JPG

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Shred and burn, also get rid of primer boxes, powder cans, etc in some way rather than trash.

9. We shred and then compost anything with numbers or names. Right in with grass clippings. One season, no trace.

10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Yeah. Shredding alone is not enough. Not these days.
    The Feds have computers hooked up to videos that can solve any "paper puzzle" the Feds give them in a ridiculously short length of time.
    They can edge-map every scrap of paper, and swap the pieces around to make picture-perfect recreations of every document. Then print out the results.

In addition to sensitive documents, all product boxes should also be burned. Thieves will make a note (especially right after Christmas) of which houses got primo presents from Santa, and rob them later.

Medicine containers, too. Anything that could give a junkie an optimistic idea.

It's okay to put center-blasted shooting targets out in the trash. I had one on the dashboard of my car for years...

It was cheap CARSEC.

Motomom34, oldawg, snake6264 and 3 others like this.
  11. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Save all paper for winter, fire stater or a quick hot fire to take the damp off.

Motomom34, 3cyl, Dont and 4 others like this.
  12. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Burning barrel

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

snake6264, oldman11 and Oddcaliber like this.
  14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

At least every couple of weeks I’ll head out to the burn barrel with the paper trash and a 6 pack ,, walk around and pick up fallen dead limbs and burn off everything till the 6 pack is done.

oldawg, snake6264, Oddcaliber and 4 others like this.
  15. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

Shred, even our plastics, my can is usually empty. And when I must I add my dogs donations that will keep the peeps out.
    We have never thrown out anything that would let you know what our lives are like. I just did a cleanup and nothing went out that had any hint. Large stuffs goes out to the ranch and the massive burn pile. I made a living finding out about people, lol, so I have a six sense I hope to avoid giving anything away. There was a guy I was doing a trade with in Texas, thats all I knew was his first name and Texas. We were talking about past jobs and such and I told him about my past investigative stuff. He kinda said BS in a Facebook chat. I said OK give me 30 minutes. I came back told him where he lives his home and cell and email adress, even where he worked. When he asked how..... I said everyone leaves a trail. And this topic reminds me allot about that, I was old school long before the net doing this and all the net did was speed up the process. What took a couple days now a couple hours. It doesn't always work, if a person has done well to stay off grid then their will be little trail. Its also not your habits today only. What you did ten or twenty years ago is on paper somewhere. So many whom fear the internet boogie men, often forget how they have a nice paper trail from their pasts. Oh well be its not what we know, its what they know we want to avoid.

Motomom34, SB21, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  16. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Any paperwork goes in the barrel.

If you dig in my trash you'll learn I use ass wipes, eat & drink really well, and some neutral lifestyle info.

SB21, snake6264, Oddcaliber and 3 others like this.
  17. john316

john316 Monkey+++

shred it and place in garbage bag and fill the bag with water for 2 weeks....
    then throw it out

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I make fire starters out of all out scrap papers and cardboard! Works great and no evidence of any thing!
    Plastics get shredded and mixed with the garbage and tossed!

19. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Around here, the amount of paper would result in about 10 cubic yards of fire starters per year. Most of us hillbillies use BICs.

20. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I had a woman telling me about her crazy brother-in-law with all his food and weapons stored. she said he was getting ready for SHTF. Then she laughed about his traveling all over the country in an RV. I think I was talking about having enough food and that popped out. Some opsec, wouldn't it be something to have all that stashed away and end up way far away from it when it's needed.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7