tropical storm/hurricane Dorian 2019

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by sec_monkey, Aug 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Update 1100 Sunday

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

Yep that dam thing is coming rite on top of us.

Yard Dart, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. sec_monkey

Update 2300 Sunday

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and mysterymet like this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Wind speed down to 165MPH now, but still a Cat Five.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  5. sec_monkey

Update 0500 Monday

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

They are saying 4-7 feet storm surge. Aren't many high points down there but you got this. Please check in when you can to let us know you are safe.

Gator 45/70, Dont and sec_monkey like this.
  7. john316

john316 Monkey+++

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Well, 5:30 am and I'm off to work to bring the news to the masses. I'll probably walk out sometime Friday morning. First on the list this morning is to move a weather cam computer mounted by previous idiots just 6" above the high tide mark. Then I'll deal with wet equipment, broken video cables, news cars out of fuel, and taking batteries (that they should have taken with them) out to the reporters because they can't drive in these conditions. The life of a broadcast engineer...

9. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I was a little surprised to make my morning commute with the only traffic on the road being a lone garbage truck.
    Schools on the North Carolina coast have already closed, and evacuation of coastal areas is underway. I'm not as out of touch as I was thirty years ago, and have radio and internet news available when I turn them on, but in just the past five years I've noticed a huge shift in advance preparation for storms, with everybody on board, From grocers to gas companies, we have supplies pumped up in advance of storms, even if it feels a little like Chicken Little was calling the shots.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

And Trump has done well, speaking with the governors, getting the disaster relief staged and ready.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  11. sec_monkey

update 0500 Thu

It is back up to Cat 3

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. sec_monkey

13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Heaven forbid it hits New Jersey......It will be Super storm Dorian and a Cat.15 by then.....

techsar likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And take out NYC as well....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. hot diggity

Just got a message from a friend down the beach.

...Also, yes I'm staying, yes I'm prepared, yes I have enough wine.
    Thanks!!

Carolina Beach Cam :: WRAL.com

Lights are still on, and highest wind gust so far in Wilmington has been 56 MPH.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  16. hot diggity

I saw a minivan with about forty gallons of gas in five gallon cans tied on a hitch mounted platform behind the tailgate. My first thought was "Ford Pinto."

Ganado, Tempstar, Seawolf1090 and 3 others like this.
  17. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

every thing is great here , storm turned in time to cause only minor damage , checked on the fish camps all is well there too. I like eating at the restaurant up there. and thank everyone for there concern for us, peace out........

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  18. hot diggity

Not a lot going on here. I feel like lots of the wind moving over us, since we're on a hill side. Spider above the back door is barely moving around in her web, and the plastic lawn chairs front and back haven't moved around at all yet. Track puts us in the eye about 8:00. I've looked up into the eye of a hurricane before, when Bertha hit us in 1996. Sun was out, no wind, neighbors all walked out in their yard, then the wind started to come from the opposite direction.
    [​IMG]
    The warning that was posted below this image said Hurricane warning, Inland Onslow County.
    Does that mean I get a pass? Friends from Hobucken evacuated to Richlands, and I wonder how they'll do there. When folks evacuate it often ends up being one of those out of the frying pan and into the fire situations. I'm happy to sit right here. After almost ten months living in hotels after Florence I'm just happy to have a dry place to live. Oh, and my wind and hail insurance is paid up, as of 11:20 this morning, sitting on the side of the highway calling my insurance agent. ;)

19. hot diggity

I like this track better.
    [​IMG]

STORM SURGE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT ... WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Strong Tropical Storm force wind - Peak Wind Forecast: 45-60 mph with gusts to 75 mph ...

At anything under 90 mph I'd call it a miss. Still have to deal with water and trees falling over, but I think I can go to sleep now and not be kept awake by any howling winds or stuff thumping off the house.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am really glad you checked in. Was wondering if you had flooding issues etc... Thank you for the report, I really appreciate it.

Ganado, DKR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. sec_monkey
  2. Gator 45/70
  3. john316
  4. Tempstar
  5. Seawolf1090
  6. hot diggity
  7. Witch Doctor 01
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Ura-Ki