Twin Bucket Toilet

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by T. Riley, Jul 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Separating urine and faeces is a good system.....the urine can be used as fertiliser, or as the raw material for potassium nitrate (a precursor ingredient for gunpowder). The faeces can be converted to a (relatively) pathogen free fertiliser by composting and worm farming. In some circumstances a third bucket may be necessary for those who are taking antibiotics, which may interfere with composting / worm farming by killing off the beneficial microbes that break down the organic matter of the faeces into compost.

How To Make All Natural Saltpeter Potassium Nitrate

I'm sure our resident energetics expert, @BTPost can direct you to better resources on how to convert pee to KNO3 ;)

3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The brochure said:
    High-rise apartment dwelllers
    without access to land may have to dispose of
    pee in a functioning street drain.

I thought that was interesting that they would put that in. In a time of crisis how does one know if a drain is functioning properly?

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

The water flows away in a hard rain?

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The truth is that they won't care and they will use any convenient place close enough to get to but far enough away to not immediately bother them. In a high rise they will be likely using the stairwells for access since I would expect the elevators to be out if the plumbing is out. I guarantee there will be several slick spots to avoid in the stairwells - just human nature combined with not having a plan (also human nature).

In places like Nutland you would probably see some tent cities like they did during the "occupy" nonsense and they will just crap in the parks and on cop cars like usual.

upload_2017-7-28_21-57-49.

Tully Mars likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I always thought that throwing the Pee, out the Apt Window, was a viable Option... Myself....

Ganado likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    this in Chinatown - as in San Fransisco Street/lot drains are used - In my observation, in most of Asia this way... Not everyone, of course, but many. It's not one world.

Back up thread, I re-did one of my posts (#18) to show 'solutions' used in various area to combat public urination, a real issue in may cities - from both slackers and the 'homeless'

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I have seen the same thing firsthand in NYC, Baltimore and Detroit.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

In Beijing China I saw parents holding children over trash bins to poop. The kids wore onesies with no crotch and no diapers.

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  9. chelloveck

Only after shouting out at the top of one's lungs...."Garde Loo" must have some regard for other people ya' know. ;) From the top of the 15th floor, that might give passers by a chance to avoid the 'shower' of zhit...that's if they can hear the warning from that distance. :LOL:

Garde Loo
    What French phrase is the origin of "gardyloo?"

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL! yeah that works if the disaster is rain or flood etc. But this is an Oregon Brochure and they they talk about the Big One earthquake. An earthquake is going to disrupt those lines yet many will think, "The brochure said...." I think they should have clarified dumping #1 in the street drain.

11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  12. chelloveck

Good information....link and explanatory introduction would make for a useful reference among the SM resources. That way it would be readily accessible even if the thread sinks into oblivion, pushed down by more recent threads.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

About the same as Navy RTC San Diego in '63 except for the five to eight seaman recruits on their knees with toothbrushes (their own) making it, in the words of the CC, clean enough to eat on. I know this first hand. It was part of a lesson taught that scrubbing white hats meant the inside too. Ah, good times.

14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

What are you going to use when the TP runs out ?
    My plan is to have rags or towels and wash bucket set aside , each person has their own, they must wash after use.
    Keep in mind that a few years into a disaster paper will be at a premium .

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. john316

john316 Monkey+++

i used rags when i was young
    now i am old and i use rags.
    i use a lot of flowing water to clean the rags...........works great
    if the water does not flow
    i might need a LOT of rags

Motomom34 likes this.
  16. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If you have running water: