Underground storage structures...

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Pax Mentis, Nov 27, 2015.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Possibly a small yurt?

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This thread reminds me of the Doomsday prepper guy that buried all the school buses. IMO that didn't seem to stable.
    I have googled a few images of septic tanks and other underground bunkers since @PaxMentis posted this and I just do not know if I could shelter in such a confined space. I am not claustrophobic, never have been but I cannot imagine living underground in such a small space.

Also- one thing that keeps entering my mind is if you are going to be building one of these underground bunkers, I would make sure it is where people would not drive over it. I think that is a consideration that needs to thought of.

3. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Putting one's garden above is one easy way to accomplish this...

Of course if it is incorporated into the plan, under the house with access from basement or crawl space is a surefire way.

4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Here is the site and yes I have been to visit and found them to be a top notch company.
    HK

Detailed Dome Video - AiDomes

Geodesic Dome Home Kits
    For over 39 years American Ingenuity (Ai) has been manufacturing
    Geodesic Dome Home Kits with prefab panels.
    225 mph Wind & F4 Tornado Warranty.

If some one wanted to test the waters then AI has a storage Dome kit. Easy for one person and a good "Trappers" Cabin. Or this would work well too.
    [​IMG]
    Tiny Home Kit Reg & Sale Pricing w/Specs - AiDomes

This would be a nice size for a couple. use part as a work shop!
    Energy Efficient Concrete Home - AiDomes

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Ganado and ditch witch like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Actually the schoolbus thing, ARK 1 and ARK2, are really well engineered. (or so they look to me, but I build stuff with baling wire and tape so maybe my judgement is impaired) I stumbled across their website a long time ago and it showed from beginning to end how they were put into place. They're encased in a ton of rebar and concrete. Although I question how comfortable it is down there, looks like it'd get real humid in short order.

I was thinking of starting a thread on converting a traditional concrete tornado shelter into more of a root cellar, mainly asking for ideas on how to do this with ours. We have a concrete 10x6 in-ground one. I distrust the structure's ability to support dirt on top, as it is built to have the top couple inches above ground level. I could line the ceiling with the 2" foamboard insulation but the ceiling is already low now. Right now the temp inside is at best 5 degrees cooler than the outside air during summer, and as cold during the winter. It has the standard 2 turbines on it but ventilation sucks as well, or maybe it's just right, I dunno it's just awful humid in there if you put a few warm bodies inside.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

There is another group that used largeee>>> corrugated conduit for their mass shelter.

No idea if they are still around, that was 30 some odd years ago.

Did I ever say that I've been into these for years?

Tully Mars and ditch witch like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

In Idaho.... there is a real large mass shelter... of course you have to be a member of their wacko ways.. ;)

8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I know of a couple other places that used the same :whistle:
    Cut the ends out of the steel ones and they make great culverts. Sold a few like that in years past.

kellory, Ganado and HK_User like this.
  9. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Has anyone use 6 or 7 foot culvert to make an underground shelter?

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I haven't, but I have a friend that did.
    I used the aforementioned tanks for a couple I built in the past.

11. winston

winston Monkey

Drainage, drainage, drainage is what you need to remember. We all want to put a shelter underground and it's usually about being on a budget. So, drain tile is about $10 per 10 feet (cheap). Rock is about $80 a ton. So you spending $500 on gravel and plastic drain tile is the 1 thing you that is reasonably cheap for what you're getting.

12. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

When I was on the fire dept we had a class on school buses there are build like a mine resistant vehicle, very tuff.

13. swamprat

swamprat Monkey+++

My uncle buryed a old grain silo for storage and it seemed to work really well just go in the top hatch.

Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  14. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]

Monilithic Domes (Inc) Cement (shotcrete really) domes.

You can DIY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "Eco dome"

[​IMG]
    built in Haiti with minimal materials.

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. JC Refuge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. stg58
  5. duane