Urban Bug-Out Day

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by melbo, Dec 4, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[sinking]

I have to agree, it's time for a relocation.

2. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Looking....so far I have only looked around East Tenn, and Western NC...

Who knows...?

Just know it's time....I feel it.

3. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

TEXAS! It's a whole 'nother country!

4. CRC

Yes it is....

and I have my only remaining sibling living there...Houston...

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

For the boat thing I was thinking that as a back up in case the bridges and car was a non option and thinking cheap. IIRC, havent you said its only a few hundred yards from the island to the mainland? Cause I was thinking row boat or possibly even inflatable and a used 10 speed from a garage sale along with one of the little kid carts that goes behind them. Not a great option but figure could be a viable one if needed for a couple hundred $ +/-. Now if Im mistaken and we are talking a couple miles or more from main land and/or waters that tend to get rouph then that thought would become cost prohibitive for most.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

get with it CRC... The kids call them just "Flops" these days.. :rolleyes:

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Guess I'd better get up to speed. Called 'em "jesus shoes" when I was, um, younger --

8. CRC

I had some "jesus" sandals..when I was , um, younger....

Got 'em at a store in Charleston...called "The Holy Cow"...they made leather sandals just for your feet...measured and outlined your feet...and custom made them..

and melbo?

In case you hadn't noticed?

I'm a grown up now..... [raspberry]

9. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Over all: I believe that one should walk softly and carry a big stick. For bugging out on foot I would be wearing yuppie backpacking attire. Earth tone in color, functional, may raise some eye brows, but not hackles. Side arm in a concealed holster ready to go. AR in two pieces in my pack along with a few extra mags where they can be reached. My plan would be to be the gray man, someone that you don't look twice at. If that doesn't work, try and talk my way out of trouble. If that doesn't work, produce my side arm. If I have to use it, then it would be to retreat to some cover where I hopefully would be able to get my long arm into play. Not perfect, but flexible.

CRC: When I lived in Chicago, my immediate family was in Detroit. If I was going to get back to them, I was going to have to walk thru 100+ miles of industrial sprawl. The same area that everyone else leaving that town was going to have to cross. I witnessed what could only be described as unrehearsed chaos every Friday rush hour that I went back to my folk's place. My plan was to get a sea kayak to cross Lake Michigan with. It could hold my gear that I would need to cross the lower portion of the state. It was also sturdy, human powered, and light enough, even loaded with gear, to move by hand from my apartment to the lake. Maybe a similar idea would work for you.

The other option would be, thru a ruthless campaign of non ending parrot head songs sung obnoxiously over a karaoke machine hooked to a load speaker, to make it YOUR island.....

Let me know what you decide.
    phishi

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I need a mop for the keyboard. [beer] [winkthumb] [clp] [ROFL]

11. melbo

Here Here phishi! [beer]

12. CRC

One Monitor Squegee.....coming right up..

:lol: @ phishi.....
    monitorsquegee_206.

13. melbo

That and the mm Cat crapped up, Bum image will stick with me awhile....

14. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Most days, I have immediate access to at least one of our company fleet. They are always stocked and fueled for immediate response to a marine casualty. I minimally have a cruising range of 1500 miles and provisions/supplies for extended survival for two or more months with a crew of up to ten persons. We make 1000 gpd of good water. We have SSB, VHF, sat-phones, Cells, Ham, and sat-internet/TV. We also have the added advantage of being a recognized emergency response fleet and are generally unimpeded in our movements due to the nature of our business. In a pinch, I can load 50 or more persons and feed them for weeks. I have enough little hidy-holes in the AO to hide out for a while and enough arms to present a formitable obstical to anyone that seriously challenged our presence. The best thing is that I have crews that would sail to hell with me and that is priceless.

15. melbo

I may be considering a couple months off from my Day Job Sea... Maybe I could play around with you for some of that time...

Be some good experience

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

come on down, Melbo...got plenty of room

17. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

THey are nice...till you shoot it one time without plugs or muffs....then everythings fades away....then 5 seconds later this high pitched rings starts roaring up on you like a frieght train and you can't hear shit for a wk, lol:) AMD-65s are cool but the Muzzle device is a JOKE, lol! If I am gonna have a 16" barreled weapon it will be one of these two:
    100_0050__medium__150. ak11__medium__274.

18. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Personally, I've never understood "bugging out"......

Assuming you think things are eventually going to hell in a handbasket ( and count me among that thinking )...WHY the heck would you live in a place you KNEW you were probably going to have to bug from ? ......I mean, I can understand if something happened beyond your planing, like fallout from an close, unexpected nuke or something.......but to live in a suburb house totally dependent on city utilities and grocery stores is just plain dumb.

Wouldn't the prudent thing to do be move TO where you'd bug to and start practicing living like you would after TSHTF ?

I do understand 'bugging back'.......and carry a BBk pack, etc, in the vehicle anytime we travel with the hope to get BACK home where the good stuff is....

19. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Not everyone is afforded the luxury of being able to live just that way. Yes you are correct that would be Ideal, but this is a far from ideal world.

20. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

'everyone' ain't gonna live out in the sticks to start with.....
    'everyone' doesn't think TScouldHTF.....or even suspect it......forget 'think' it......

As to luxury, I really don't know what you mean......just making a decision to get out from in front of an approaching train doesn't seem like a big deal to me.....hell, you gotta live SOMEWHERE.....why live on the railroad track ??

What kills me is the folks that write into these boards that live in a tract house in Suburb,USA and plan to 'bug out' by throwing a bunch of stuff in there SUV and running to the country. That story "Bug Out" over in the fiction section is exactamundo what will happen to a bunch of the bugee's.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Fatum1965
  4. ED GEiN
  5. yeti695
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. Brokor
  10. Brokor
  11. IndieMama
  12. Witch Doctor 01