Use of General Aviation Services during an EOFTW scenario

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Imasham, May 25, 2018.

1. The_Prepared

The_Prepared Derpy Monkey

Cleared out a usable runway for Cessna type craft at the bug out location. Just wanted to have the option open for flexibility.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Usable runway depends on the aircraft. For most here in Ak, it means "A sorta flat spot."

Alaska, the whole State is a runway.

VisuTrac, Alf60, Dont and 1 other person like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That's exactly the sort of flying that I got hooked on about 15 years ago! Took a check ride in a SuperCub and was hooked! Been hooked on Bush flying ever since!
    The ultra light is not only a super smart way to go, it has some real advantages if you choose the right set up. A smart person could have a small Robbin Diesel or a gas version ready to go and that would open up the fuel options quite a lot.

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm reflecting on the OP about post SHTF aviation and wondering what it would be like. No runway maintenance, No FBO, Unicom only, No ILS, No lighted Navaids, No Flight Service, No Wx briefings AWOS, VFR only, No VOR, DME, Radar, it would be like the good old days of barnstorming!!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Good old fashioned compass and dead reckoning along with essential map reading skills will still work just fine! If ya have a Star Compass, even better!
    Nice thing is the small aircraft will not be affected by run ways and lack of nav aids, only real issue is going to be accessing fuel! Good rotary hand pumps that can handle fuel will be in much demand, so get a few now while they are still available. I keep one in my onboard kit, along with 25 feet of suction hose and 15 feet of feed hose, the entire bundle is about the size of a large day pack and weighs about 15 pounds!

Dunerunner likes this.
  6. DKR

IFR. =. I follow railroads
    AKA The Iron Compass.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Dunerunner and VisuTrac like this.
  7. DKR

[​IMG]
    Ultralights can break.

[​IMG]
    the parachute worked as designed.

But if the pilot is a bit careful in picking a landing spot...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tires and struts have to be up for the landing surface if unimproved/improvised runways are planed for use....

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    Ganado and Dunerunner like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7