Using rail road tracks for bugging out

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 25, 2016.

?
  1. Good Idea- most sheep won’t think to use them

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Bad Idea- good way to meet up with bad guys

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Nobody is Psychic- Depends on the time and place.

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The discussion of using railroad tracks for bug out was touched on here briefly- Get home bag | Page 3 | Survival Monkey Forums

I am still unsure if using the rail system for getting out of urban areas or retreating from your area is a good idea. I was researching and one site said:

Cities have plenty of railroads going in and out and most of them are probably not going to be that crowded anyway. You should have detailed maps of showing you where each of them leads to.

More research showed me where I could find railroads-

Bugging Out? Why Not Use Abandoned Railroad

Because people are always looking for a creative way of travel, there are rail bikes that you can ride on abandon rails. It is an interesting idea. Railriders Wheels Page is a company that makes these bikes. I really like his company blurb….. The owner of Rail Riders sounds like he would fit in here at the monkey.

One person runs this place - ME - a Baby Boomer/ Disabled Veteran/not a big company. I make these in AMERICA - - not in some child/slave labor factory in China endorsed by corrupt politicians in Washington MADE IN AMERICA

Mountainman, stg58 and chelloveck like this.
  2. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I think, like wolves, the bad guys will go where the most sheep (and sheep houses) are, and that will be the highway.

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Watch the herds. The MZBs will be. Tracks may be good though once the game trail has been established hunters will be waiting.

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I measured the tracks by one of my places.
    Seems the wheel spacing on a Jeep TJ was pretty much spot on.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

I dont feel that they will be the best way, but they will be better than some say, like the interstates... I'm not in a big city but a half day walk from one if the mobs roll down the track. my house sits a few hundred yards off... it is something I have considered for both bugging out and for securing my AO. If I am bugging out it better be in advance of the mobs and before they get the idea of railway ambushes. if I get totally blind sided by some event and I'm bugging out with everyone else they will I think be beneficial (they are above the flood zone where our city streets are not). if I bug in I better have a way to secure them...

Destiney'soma and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have often thought of Railway rights of way as alternative routes to roads and highways for bugging out. There are quite a few advantages and disadvantages of using them.

This mode of travel has been quite thoroughly covered elsewhere in SM, with kellory being a notable contributor.

How useful railways might be, would depend upon:

The destination you may be headed,
    Foot traffic density
    Risk of ambush / interference,
    Proximity to towns/cities/human habitation of any sort.
    Geographical barriers like rivers, mountains, swamps, etc
    Likelihood of the right of way being blocked / picquetted by local militias, or criminal gangs. etc etc

If using rail bikes or similar....there will be certain risks involved, particularly if the lines are still carrying regular freight and passenger traffic...(especially on single tracked routes). If intending to use abandoned tracks, poorly or unmaintained track might also be a risky proposition.

Walking on the track bed can be very fatiguing (because of the nature of the ballast that supports it), however, in many instances there are maintenance trails that will run parallel to rail tracks.

Another possibility for foot slogging routes is by using high voltage power lines.

These rights of way are usually kept clear of heavy vegetation, often have maintenance trails, in the main, don't go near densely populated areas, and they are usually easy to navigate along.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I would not take them. There is always someone on them already, and at least in my AO, there are no advantages to taking them. Them are raised, exposed, and usually run near roads anyway.

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I wouldn't travel on the tracks unless in a big-ole locomotive...too darn exposed. The ROW is a fair travel option though.

Maybe one could use the tracks like they'd use a canal...with the "boat" on the tracks, while you and your mule use the ROW. :D

9. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All paths and modes of transportation will be vulnerable.
    Of course those whom prey on wayfarers should probably be caught and dealt with severely. especially those leaving traps along a road way .
    An unchecked predator only becomes more aggressive.
    I have been working on a particular strategy in that event.
    Every one's area is different so every one needs their strategy. .

Not only will paths be vulnerable but the hard luck and con games will abound and its going to take a certain hardness to keep from being sucked in to trouble.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

this might be an early option or a good option for out in the back wood regions ... in towns/ cities they might be an option for an initial get out of Dodge then swap to a secondary route... power lines, dirt path... get a state forestry map... they have all water sources marked, all trails, power lines, rail systems and all roads... a great resource for bugging out....

12. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

Most people will take the path of least resistance...so if they don't have to fight brush to walk, that's where they'll be---and where I won't be. I want to be well away from any sort of well beaten path.

Tully Mars, Yard Dart and Meat like this.
  13. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^Yep. :D

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You just have to watch for that "Light at the End of the Tunnel" coming at you... Or coming up behind you...

Tully Mars and chelloveck like this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I have a 12 vt. wheelchair motor, several deep cycle rechargeable batteries, and a few homemade solar panels (I would prefer the high efficiency new ones). The sticking point so far is the wheels.
    I have access to a set of train wheels, and intend to make molds of them for plastic versions. (Much less wieght).
    I have in mind a two car, or cab with trailer with solar panel roofs, and light weight skeletal welded steel carts. That will ride the rails, like flat cars.
    The tracks have already been engineered for the smoothest, most energy efficient ride.
    I should be able to ride the rails quietly, On rubber treaded plastic wheels, and recharge by sunlight. A small gas powered on board generator would recharge the battery bank when the sun would not serve well enough.
    Gear train will be from a 18speed bicycle.
    It will be light weight, so it can be shifted off the tracks quickly if needed, even if that means rolling it. panels will have a roll bars. (Most likely bolt on aluminum)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

In the book Lucifer's Hammer two of the characters traveled via auto on the tracks. It was a rough ride but it helped them by-pass traffic.

Sorry- I searched but didn't see a thread about this already.

chelloveck likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

18. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

If the choice is tracks or highway I would choose the tracks, at least at first. They are no more exposed than a two lane highway. Either way, I am walking just inside the edge of the right of way, not down the middle of either. My walking route to my BOL uses both.

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My favorite...
    [​IMG]

20. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Many railroad tracks will take you out of a direct route, if you are trying to get to a set location. Remember Rail Roads were surveyed at a time when they could go what ever route gave them the best grade to build on.
    That only matters if time is important, but they are usually more difficult to scout before they are needed.

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. STANGF150
  11. Motomom34
  12. sdr