Using rail road tracks for bugging out

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 25, 2016.

?
  1. Good Idea- most sheep won’t think to use them

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Bad Idea- good way to meet up with bad guys

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Nobody is Psychic- Depends on the time and place.

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

[​IMG]

2. Witch Doctor 01

Gotta love GI ingenuity...

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It looks like a drop tank buggy. It's not strong on safety features. Where are the air bags and seat belts? ;)

Reaper Silencers and Brutus57 like this.
  4. Witch Doctor 01

[​IMG]

5. Witch Doctor 01

[​IMG]

HK_User, Ganado, kellory and 2 others like this.
  6. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I cross a set of tracks every day, and view them as a trap.

It all sounds very much like 1938, and may have been safe even up into the late 1970's when I was train spotting, but the old romance is gone. Anybody remember Angel Resendiz, The Railway Killer? How many more like him are out there every day? Nowadays I see railroad tracks as deadly paths that hurry along toward disaster. They lead through mostly poor populated areas and desolate wilderness. I can't imagine better places to set an ambush. Even if bandits miss you at one spot they could delay you with obstacles, IED's, or just by pulling up a section of track. Foot travel with less than a fire team is risky, even at the edge of the right-of-way, because somewhere there will be a spot where you can't observe both sides of the track without completely exposing yourself.

I will take my chances on random routes where my appearance is at least less predictable and my movement options more open. If I am forced to move over unfamiliar territory, it will be because I have nowhere else to go, so route and speed will be determined by the situation as it unfolds.

HD

3M-TA3, Brutus57, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I would even recommend caution on paths that are walked for IEDs and other traps that have been used in the recent past.

8. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Ive considered using the tracks, but I just figured I would take the train too.

medicineman and chelloveck like this.
  9. svjoe

svjoe Angry Monkey

I wouldn't, just my .02 cents. Seems like a lot of others might have the same thought and I want to be nowhere near the herd. Now on the other hand, I am a licensed Locomotive Operator. If the equipment was available I would definitely take it!

10. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

What do you think the foot traffic count will be rail vs road? Either way you will be walking if you bug out too late. Either way it's going to be dangerous. I think the roads will be covered with both the good and the bad. If I am the bad guy, I am going to be on the road. I have no destination, just looking for something I can steal, and that's where it will be.

11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Bad guys will come in all shapes, forms and with different survival strategies. Some will be like barnacles, staying in a fixed location, preying on passing victims, others will be sharks who'll attack a school, and target the weak, the slow, the dim witted, the disorganised. Others will be parasites who'll be your best buddy and friend and will sap your resources until, you are of no further use to them and will they will move on, (leaving you dead or alive) and find another host to exploit.

Some bad guys may have destinations; its just that they need resources just like everyone else in getting there, but aren't averse to taking other people's resources in achieving their goals.

Tully Mars and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

I'm not sure that IED's would be on my radar early in a scenario... ambush, possibly... YMMV depending on AO

13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I notice that we focus on bad guys being on the tracks but what about good people? Not just this thread but others, we always focus on the threats but not the meeting up with people who could be allies. It is something to consider.

14. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

during a real SHTF situation I am not sure if any stranger will be a friend.....especially those you meet who just have clothes on back....I would avoid every stranger....RR tracks would not be a travel lane for me. I may travel within a certain distance or use them to recon and try to get an idea of how bad things may be due to how many people come and go and what condition they are in...

15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

You make allies in time of need or from a place of security, not by walking up to a random person and saying "let's be shtf buds". I am sure that it will happen, and that some of the time they won't rob you, and cut you throat in your sleep, but those are the realities of things tat do happen today.

16. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Knowing ones ground is critical ,
    Each time I'm on the road I anticipate the walk home ,and with the volume of traffic we have to deal with here, it is going to be chaos for a long time .
    People stuck on freeways and other highways will be looking for shelter and food and there are simply not enough places to stay for the public traveling the highways.
    Literally millions will be on foot either headed down the road to home or to town they happen to be closest to.
    I immagine a lot off folk will be kicking them self ,not having properly prepared ,begging even threttening those that did.
    I'm pretty much prepared for a 30+ mile trek normally , and having compass and "current" maps gives me the edge so that I can avoid main thoroughfares .
    If I must bug out from the house it will have to be more serous than a mere fire , that, I am prepare to deal with.
    but behind me is mountains and lakes If it comes down to that. but I expect that to be crowded as well.

17. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

my allies are well known....I won't need to befriend or make anymore, especially if they have nothing much to offer....will be hard to equip extra people to make them useful. I would not take someone in who talks a good game and then cuts your throat....

18. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I'm not going to ask random people to be my shtf buddy, I am just gonna ask the cute gals to be my shtf buddies...but only if my wife says it's OK, of course. :D

19. Brutus57

Brutus57 "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley."

The plus side of RR tracks is their bridges are hell for stout.....also lack of grade almost universally less than 3% vs highways. If you have to move light and fast and the highways are clogged..... RRs aren't the worst choice, They also have features that can provide cover on short notice. Did some RR work in my time, if you are really serious about RR as bug out route. Get a high rail conversion for your rig or buy a hyrail rig on the used market. If some trains are running you can always look for a freight to jump. Doubt many train crew if there is some sort of SHTF will be willing to walk a mile long train to kick off "hobos". I am not recommending breaking the law by trespassing on RR property....but in a survival situation....your call.

Brutus Out

20. Brutus57

Brutus57 "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley."

I have actually operated a version of the middle image. Built by Rockford...we called it the Rockford Rocket. Manual brake and a spark retarder....fun and fast, but also dangerous.

Brutus Out

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. STANGF150
  11. Motomom34