Using rail road tracks for bugging out

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Motomom34, Apr 25, 2016.

?
  1. Good Idea- most sheep won’t think to use them

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Bad Idea- good way to meet up with bad guys

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. Nobody is Psychic- Depends on the time and place.

16 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think riding over rail ties and ballast for any distance might get a little tiring after a while. Riding along maintenance trails running parallel to the tracks might be less exhausting, but would still have much the same vulnerabilities as riding on the rail bed or on an unsealed country back road.

ED GEiN likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Apparently you have never tried that..... Between the Rails makes you ride perpendicular to the Railroad Ties embedded in the Road Bed Gravel, every foot, or so... That would JAR your Insides Out, in short order... Worse that a "Road Bum" every 3 feet....

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Recently I saw a new bike that has 3' diameter tires ,wide rims .
    This with an out rigger might be able to ride the rails ,and be light enough to lift off from time to time ,and use the out rigger as a trailer swapping to regular tires. I'd want a bike with suspension the gaps in the rails ends vary .

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    (German rig)

[​IMG]
    I'd want something soft to sit on, be a nice design

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    family sized.

Rail riding is popular in the EU zone. BTW - illegal and not terribly bright on US rails.

If you want to ride on ABANDONED rail systems - look here
    Abandoned Rails: Home has an interactive map

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Those are awesome and "post fan" could come in very handy. I was looking for something like this (more of a curiosity than anything) and that's pretty sweet.

6. BTPost

The first thing I noticed is the HEAVY Steel wheels used on toast of these RailCarts... DUMB.... A lot of weight for NO Practical Purpose.... The Yellow Recumbent, using Bicycle Tires, and small Guide Wheels, to keep it on the Tracks, would seem to be a better option. Weight is everything for a Human Powered Vehicle, and BIG Fat Tires, with minimal Weight, because of Spokes, instead Solid Wheels, makes a lot more sense, to my mind....

arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The commercial rail rides use the heavy stuff because it will outlast tourists....

Still, a cool business if you can get into it...

8. Reaper Silencers

Reaper Silencers Neophyte Monkey

Anytime you are going to rely on a vehicle, whether you are talking bicycle or motor driven vehicle, you must consider maintenance concerns. RR ties will beat you mode of transportation mercilessly. It's a safe bet that riding between the rails on a bike will lead to flat tires, bent rims, and broken hubs unless you have some particularly stout hardware. Then there is the bike frame work to consider. A cheap bike will likely suffer frame failure under that kind of abuse. A more expensive one will last longer, but take into consideration repair part availability. Having the best bike ever made doesn't help you if you can't find parts when it does finally break.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. BTPost

@Reaper Silencers It really depends on if the Rails you are riding are MainLine or SpurLine Rails.... if your Rail riding Machine uses Pneumatic Tires, and a design that runs on the TOPs of the Rails, with Idler Boggie Wheels that keep the Maim Wheels centered on The Rail TOPs, then a MainLine Rail ride is as smooth as any Dirt Road... and only slightly worse on a SpurLine Rail... My brother (The Engineer) has spent considerable time (months of data collection) testing UP & Brurlington Rails, from the standpoint of forces transferred to the Engineer's & Brakeman's seats in the Locos, as well as forces on the Seats in a Section Line Truck running on those Rails while on Boggie Wheels... and varified all the Data he collected... Trying to ride between the Rails is a Fools Errand....

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Though it might not be as convenient but walking the power utility lines is another method of travel. They are not as clear of brush, as the rail , but are a distinctive line through from one town to another.

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Tully Mars
  6. BenP
  7. the68
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. STANGF150
  11. Motomom34