Using waterways as Transportation highways, during SHTF..

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Destiney'soma, May 5, 2017.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Guess it really depends on which water ways/rivers you are using. Real easy to disable a motor on the water by having debris suspended just below the surface where you can't see it. Gets wrapped up around the props and when you stop to fix it, well, you are sitting ducks.

Also, having just been on a kayak trip over the weekend, when you want/need to get out and onto land will there be someplace to beach? We had to stop twice on our trip, both times the bank was TN clay mud up to my knees at the waters edge. Not something I want to step into in the dark, or on the off chance it's an EOTWAWKI and under fire.

Having a preplanned trip for your route would be best, might be a quick water way to go around a major city, but my primary concern with water ways is just crossing them. I have a few streams and one river between my home and my hunting cabin.

2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have ran plenty of times at night, Full moon or almost with no clouds is doable, Turn off all your bow and anchor lights.
    Seems scary at first and illegally as Hades.. But I have done it just for practice.
    Radar needs to be on the lowest setting like a 1/4 mile, Which becomes useless in a narrow canal, Test runs are needed!

chelloveck likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That log you just hit in the dark leave a mark?

M118LR likes this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Lol, Gators here and believe it or not, I once ended up with a 5'foot garfish jammed broad ways in my 150's

chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

We had carp jumping us. Thought gator were coming over the bow.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

The lower your crafts silhouette, the better your odds of remaining undetected by the naked eye at night. (sails = open ocean) Electric trolling motors should be primary propulsion. Night vision is passive, and will be required at a minimum. The larger the group the bigger the footprint, the more desirable the prize. On the water it's either stealth or speed, if either is compromised it's a long swim at best. Consider Kevlar, it can be your crafts best friend. Military Boats

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  7. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

We live pretty close to a major river but it only leads to inhabited areas both ways. We ruled it out a long time ago. I have a boat that could cross Lake Michigan if the weather was moderate but would have to get the boat to a boat launch first. Then I would be in Wisconsin. Why would I want to be in Wisconsin? If I had to head west it would save us from having to go through or around Chicago or over the Mackinaw bridge. Only reason. If I had to go east Im in the same boat , pun intended. Detroit , Port Huron ? or the bridge? South is Indiana or Ohio. Straight north is Canada. Does a boat help us in any of these scenarios?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

That's why I recommend something like inner tubes .they can be carried in you gear pumped up and use cargo netting or paracord to secure your stuff in trash bags and maintain as low a silhouette as possible .
    if you have the where with all one could use their game cart and haul a battery and small trolling motor . A wooden bracket could be fashioned to mount the motor to .
    The battery can serve several functions, and a solar panel can charge it during the day.
    Once you've reached as far as you plan to go on that water way, it all can be broken down and over land to the next water way that requires crossing.
    A boat doesn't give you that much liberty .
    Once you've reached point b the floatation gear can be cashed away for the future if necessary .

3M-TA3 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7