Vintage Stanley thermos cork replacement?

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by hot diggity, Mar 20, 2019.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I have snapped off another cork in my 58 year old Stanley Super Vac thermos. I can find replacements on-line, but I'll still have the problem of fragile cork. Has anybody seen a replacement cork for the old Stanley thermos bottles made of silicone? I know, a hunk of tree bark is traditional and all, but it's not sustainable.

:)

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Rubber "corks" are readily available thru industrial supply places, maybe even your local hardware store. You might also check with a chemistry teacher at the local school system, they should be able to point you at a source.
    (Yep, Stanley brand is good stuff, but can't stand being run over by a D6. Yes, I KNOW this.)

Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  3. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

What size is it?
    Never mind: Found it.

Size 18 cork, $1.84 for one, free shipping.
    Size #18 Extra Select Cork Stoppers - Corks | WidgetCo

You can, minimize the fragility by running a small eye screw about 1/2 way thru the center of the cork. Tie on a piece of thin nylon strap to act as a handle. Maybe a small camera strap, for example.

Push in with fingers, pull out with strap.

The cork should last just about forever that way.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

I have done a bit of a search since you asked, and found nothing for name description you are giving in your post. Questions that come to mind from this search, is exact model number, liquid capacity of thermos, and measurements on cork stopper etc.
    One other note, is the FACT, is that thermos has a lifetime warranty. Have you contacted Customer Support services? WWW.STANLEY-PMI.COM/REPLACEMENT-PARTS

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  5. I'd drill clear through, use a small eyebolt with fender washer to fit both inside and out side the cork. Eyebolt w/nut run up to eye, washer, cork, washer, nut.

Ura-Ki and oldman11 like this.
  6. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

call Stanley customer service - they'll send out a replacement for free - all the wear type parts are under warranty - I get stuff like gaskets all the time ....

the Thermos model and all the various part numbers should be stamped on the bottom ....

try some simple maintaining on the cork - it's wood and drying out - rub in some food grade mineral oil once and awhile - freshen up the fibers ....

if you're really determined about the synthetic cork - take your Thermos into the bigger hardware & home improvement stores - the ones with the big cubbyhole trays of hardware - most have a misc section that includes a cork selection - should have one that fits ....

Cork Stoppers - xxx grade corks, buy wholesale | WidgetCo

http://www.bellcoglass.com/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/Thread Finishes.pdf

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. hot diggity

I'll do that! Thanks. They might be able to at least send me a correctly shaped cork.

The #18 is what I had...twice. It's only 1.5" long and just barely fits in the neck. I think the cap presses it down further when screwed on tight and that's why it sticks. The Stanley corks were long and slender. They probably had more surface contact area along their length and didn't need to be squashed in tight to seal.
    [​IMG]

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Another source is brewers supply shops, they usually have all sorts of corks, stoppers, and food safe plugs!

There are many different grades of cork, some are soft and easy to break, wjile others are super stiff and will hold together for a lot longer! The idea of running a through bolt with washers is a great idea, but dont tighten it, leave it finger tight and use thread lock on the nut. If you tighten it, it will compress the cork and make it tighter and that can weaken it and eventually cause it to fail!

Motomom34 and oldman11 like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Motomom34 and oldman11 like this.
  10. hot diggity

We talked about that at work today, but figured it'd be better to find something food grade to cast one from. I've submitted my info to Stanley, and will see if they can come up with a cork. Once I have dimensions I can look for alternatives. The whole Idea came from the Kelly Kettle silicone cork. It's been a nice upgrade, although I've kept the original cork.

11. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

hot diggity likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7