Walkie Talkie's (what to get)

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by TLynn, Aug 30, 2005.

1. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The old walkie talkie's (Motorola's) are finally beginning to give up the ghost. Plus they're somewhat big and bulky. Heck they were not knew when I started there and that's been going on almost 5 years. The grounds are not huge, huge but big enough.

What I need is a minimum of 3 walkie talkies that will talk with each other (I'd prefer 4), with extra batteries (if they still make them that way), chargers for all 4 and an ability to communicate up to say 2 miles (never would go over a mile and not even that but I figure overkill is best).

Got to be able to receive and hear through a brick wall (okay probably several brick walls at times) like the ones we have now do (when they're working).

Cheapest possible we can get away with considering it's donated funds that will have to purchase it. Especially, since we're now committed to paying for the Nexel phones that we've been mandated to have in the DAV vans coming in from outlying areas and that ain't cheap at all (it's a huge headache for me as well - of course by the time I'm done looking over the phone calls and giving it back to my boss it's becoming a headache for her as well). I'm doing the research but I'm totally clueless - in other words I don't know what to look for and it's been driving me crazy for the past few days.

I'd really like to be able to hear my driver and tell him that a patient needs to be picked up on the hill and brought back down to the main entrance or to go over to the eye clinic, etc. These guys and gals can't walk some of these distances (the hospital is very spread out compared to other VA's).

Any and all help is appreciated.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I prefer the Motoraola 7200s but they are discontinued and I don't know if you can find them. They are big and take 4 AA or a rechargable. I like them because they have a basic 'voice scramble' feature. but I'm e secrecy guy :lol:

I think you'd be best with a set of current motorolas. Should be able to get 2 for under $50 at any electronics store or Amazon. I think for your needs, any FRS/GMRS would be fine.

3. TLynn

Please explain what the heck FRS/GMRS means? If I buy 4 will they work together? I'm quite willing to have this come out of my pocket (yes I'll be broke for awhile but it won't be the first time I've given my money to the veterans there). But only if I know they'll work together. They have to be rechargeable (the AA battery thing is nice but would not work considering how fast we'd go through them).

4. melbo

I'll find you what you need. check back later ;)

5. TLynn

[bow] [bow] [bow]

6. melbo

PM me your address, I have what you need.
    It's on SM...

(I was never in the military and that is one of my biggest regrets, If I can help our Vets in a tangible way, I'd like to)

7. TLynn

I emailed it to you melbo - actually gave you the choice you can mail it direct to the VA here.

I will tell you the vets will appreciate it. So will the drivers (who are veterans themselves).

As will myself because I can't chase down the golf cart - it moves faster than I do.

8. melbo

Was on the phone...

They are on the way. Just send me a stripper for my b-day or something!

9. TLynn

:lol: [respect] :lol:

I'd say I would, but I don't want your wife hunting me down...okay well that and the fact that strippers are more expensive than the radio's.

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid