Watch "After Armageddon"Full Movie History Channel Courtesy of Thunder5Ranch

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by ED GEiN, Oct 27, 2019.

1. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Just saw Courtesy of Thunder5Ranch an incredible TEOTWAWKI Documovie on YouTube "After Armageddon" that I recommend for everyone even with the sloppy YouTube editing. Ironically it takes place in Los Angeles my current city due to family reasons. The one thing that I found amusing is that the family in the movie uses the LA Basins in their escape and there's one a short walking distance from me.

Here are a few things off the top of my head I disagreed with the movie:

1. They made it seem that anyone could leave their home base within the first 2 weeks of the problem beginning as long as its before the President evacuates the White House. I don't think it will be that easy.

2. Rather than shoot it out, you should hide and let 3 or 4 armed people. steal you sole water and food supply, your car and the rest of your resources when you will likely die without them.

3. You should stop to help strangers on the road

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    duane and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

It's all situational and things will play out differently for different people and circumstances. I hope we never find out what happens, but if it does have a plan, act early, and be decisive. I'll watch the video, thanks.

ED GEiN and chelloveck like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Are you saying you should let them rob you? Or are you trying to say that you should hide instead of shooting it out?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

1. They made it seem that anyone could leave their home base within the first 2 weeks of the problem beginning as long as its before the President evacuates the White House. I don't think it will be that easy.

if you're still at home - in your urban area - when the word gets out that the Prez has bunkered up >>> I wish you all the luck in the world - wait another 2-3 WEEKS after that - no amount of luck in the world will save you ...

you better have your intel whiskers out there tingling - checking checking and always checking the hot spots and looking for new hot spots - even a 24 hour head start is better than nothing when it comes to that inevitable Golden Tidal Wave ....

After Armageddon is known better as a "don't do this" movie than anything else - if you can find prepper sites with archives that go back far enough - there's been alot of discussion and great prepper insights into that movie ....

Tempstar, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I think that @ED GEiN was saying he was skeptical of that in the movie.

ED GEiN, chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

The family depicted in the movie did exactly what the vast majority of urban dwellers will do. The movie it very tame vs reality. There are real have happened events to compare the human behavior in the movie to. Reading about them is not the same as seeing the events and aftermath first hand. The Balkans come to mind and that is all I am going to say about that.

Don't rely to heavily on the LA basins they will be watched as closely as the roads if not more so. Would be like shooting fish in a bucket.

Not engaging in the fire fight on the side of the road was really the first smart thing those folks did. Besides at that point they were unarmed. When the wife shot the guy in the warehouse she dropped their only weapon and they did not recover it before fleeing. So it would not have been much of a shoot out.

In the movie they did a decent job of portraying a reality that most people can't get their mind around. There are no good guys or bad guys. There are just people doing everything in their power to survive. The hardest thing for many will not be killing someone else, the hardest thing will be deciding whether or not to eat the person they just killed. But even that will become easy as the long pig meals add up :)

The movie also pointed out one very important thing for all of the refugees that do escape their urban hell holes. You are not going to be welcome anywhere unless you have a skill or skill set that is valued by the compounds and communities you encounter and can prove it over time while being observed 24/7. If you don't bring tangible value to the community you are just dead weight that consumes resources.

The movie itself is a Don't do this movie over all. The commentators are where the meat of the movie is. They are speaking to lowest common denominators and what the possible best courses of actions would be for those unprepared or under prepared and those that waited or could not leave until it was a worst case situation. Winning is getting to live one more day and losing....... well it is not getting to live one more day. It is that simple when everything turns to shit.

Bandit99, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

One thing about Cajuns
    First thing is they arm up.
    Second is we band together like the entire street will be blocked to outsiders.
    Third,Ain't nothing safe from being seasoned up and eaten....Pah-Yah !

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@ED GEiN I watched it also and thought it was quite good but I believe it was quite calm compared to what it will be. I remember stories about the Balkans where neighbors would literally kill each other for no reason. One story has always stuck in my mind about a neighbor who shot another neighbor's donkey and when asked, "Why?" he replied "Because I didn't have one." My point is insanity will reign as will mankind's baser instincts and violence will be the norm, someone might kill you for the shoes on your feet or perhaps they don't like your face...

The movie did make some really good points even though some weren't said, like the necessity of a semi-automatic rifle to at least up one's odds a bit, a bolt-action is not going to cut it in that environment.

Anyway, I thought the film was good especially due to the talking heads but obviously that family would not have made it even two weeks, sad but true.

Gator 45/70 and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  9. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

That brings up the cultural aspect of it. In Cities different cultural and Ethnic groups would band together. Ethnic and Cultural violence between two or more groups gets BAD in multi cultural and ethnic Cities and even regions. Keep hearing diversity is Americas greatest strength, all I am seeing is that great diversity causing more and more polarization. While the different ethnic and cultural based gangs tear into each other pretty good at the hood level.... The violence for the rest is kept at bay by a very thin wall. It would not take much to collapse that very thin wall, like no consequence for actions due to a break down in law enforcement. and military ability to control an area. Cajuns VS New O. Hood Rats my money would be on the Cajuns :)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

in regard to the "timetable" part of the initial bugging in portion of the movie >>> the gooberment will be trying like hell to keep the utilities like power & water up - internet & cell/landline services - even hospital/clinic care >>> but the movie scenario where everything is failing - grocery store is empty - nutz cases roaming - dead being buried in backyards >>>>>

and THEN the house to house looting starts and they do a fake-out with the laundry & garbage - sorry but that was a decent & upper middle class neighborhood - give the retail area two days at the most and they'll all be burnt out hulks - and the residence looting & personal attacks start >>> if your home is in the looter flow alley between the lower class/ghetto part of the city and the retail - you could get it within hours of the first day >>> looking for better/more vehicles they came with - looking for women to take for rape parties back home - just plain more good looting ....

Bandit99 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

We have 12 year olds that can hit the bullseye at 100 yds
    Dem Nuffins can't hit a car at 20 yds...lol

12. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The repetition of the "roving gangs" tag line was boring, but the realities presented should be a wake-up for all them city dwellers.

Thunder5Ranch and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

From an Emergency Management standpoint, you won't get out of a city of any size after 24 hours during a pandemic. It's one of the favorite training scenarios. One needs to roll as soon as they get wind of something like this, before .gov can lock everything down.

14. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Are you replying to me? No I said the opposite. If your sole water, food and transport will be taken if you hide. shoot it out. The movie says otherwise

3M-TA3, Gator 45/70 and AxesAreBetter like this.
  15. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

My mistake. I didn't realize she dropped the gun. I still would have tried to outrun them as they had a 5-10 minute lead in their car.

3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. ED GEiN

ED GEiN Monkey+++

Another key part that I disagreed with and thought was stupid beyond belief is that the family was safe in a small town they escaped to that let them in but left anyway because they did not like the idea of the local law enforcement executing anyone for robbing. The chances if it weren't a movie of them making it 1000 miles (guessing) to Idaho or was it Iowa, was incredibly slim

17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

All good points there ED...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, I had a lot of problems with that movie. They drank water out of a radiator! The guy was a nurse or EMT, and his hand got infected! I would have left the wife and kid in the desert, and found new ones!

ED GEiN and Gator 45/70 like this.
  19. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I got the impression that it was due more the religion aspect of that town. The public head blowing in the street and bodies at the entrances was just one more thing. How safe are you with religious fanatics that control all aspects of yer life? What happens when God starts telling the Preacher man who is not pure enough? Fine line between faith and fanatic.

LOL I think people forget that there are entire arms of Government that sit around thinking up every possible situation and making plans for how to deal with them

LOL that movie is usually considered a what not to do tool. And let us not forget this news story from 2011, you get thirsty enough you will drink some pretty nasty stuff.... Man, 84, survives desert ordeal over 5 days

chelloveck and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I would think the anti-freeze mighty have deleterious effects on one.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7