Water Bottle Survival Kit

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Do you have a picture of this?

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup.

The Guyot is a limited item and the best quality you can find so expensive. Amazon has knock offs that are near as good, just a little less "finished".

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  3. HK_User

I have a carrier I use for my system as a way to keep it all together until needed..
    Simple to pull out stored items and use the carrier to store your supplies in.

Then attach the carrier to you belt. Tops vary, smooth to handles with keepers so they don't get lost.

sec_monkey, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Glycerin and Potassium Permanganate come to mind: at least for the "boom" part.
    I'll pack small quantities if I expect cruddy weather on a back packing trip. The ingredients need to be at a reasonable temperature to react, and you still need a tinder bed/kindling. But the oohs & ahhs from the young ones is fun.

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

One thing that the early pioneers had, that we don't usually carry around in the woods, these days, is Good Old Black Powder, for starting Fires in very Bad or Cold conditions... It was a very common practice to use BP, and the FlintLock, to start fires back in that day.... That is something I would have in any Kit I built, in a small Pill Bottle....

Ganado, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Saw an episode of "Naked & Afraid", a woman brought a bag of that permanganate stuff for fire starting. A gust of wind blew some in her eyes. Nearly blinded her and very painfull! Be careful with that stuff!

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Potasium Permanginate is a very ACTIVE Oxidzer, and reacts sponainiously with just about ANY Organic or Fuel... Not for the weak of Heart, or unKnowledgeable....

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Sure thing @Motomom34. [​IMG]
    The M.S.R. that I use is the miniworks, but many of their systems are set up to do this! Makes it real simple!
    The Katedyne is the Micro Vario, and its the ONLY one they do that is set up this way!
    Both companies make about the same quality and reliability, BUT, the M.S.R. are hands down the bestest for actual use in the field, they are lighter, easier to use, easier to clean and service, and easier to pack. Finally, the Charcoal filter lasts WAY longer and is cheeper to replace!

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Tempstar like this.
  9. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Hmm. I put my stuff in at the office because I had the cup already (given to me by a vendor), never gave any thought to using one as a serious bug-out device, just as a grab and go from the office. Put the contents into a pocket, fill with water and move out sort of thing. Good one on the MSR there Ura-Ki, I have the same model bought because it fits the Nalgene bottles.

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. HK_User

How Guyot containers got started.
    Of course the US Production facility closed (not owned by Guyot) so now they are produced in China.

HK

It’s the small things: Deer Isle company makes outdoor living comfortable
    It’s the small things: Deer Isle company makes outdoor living comfortable
    By Aislinn Sarnacki, BDN Staff • July 1, 2011 11:48 am

Sloan’s beat-up Jeep bounced as she and her cross-country skiing date, Joshua, headed out of Lake Tahoe. Joshua tipped his Nalgene bottle to take a drink and — bump — the water spilled all over him. After a few moments staring at the mouth of the bottle, he got out a notebook and started sketching.

Sloan saw how absorbed Joshua was in his work, so she turned up the music and kept driving, all the way to REI in Sacramento, an outdoor gear store, where they stopped to show employees Joshua’s sketch. No, they’d never seen anything like it.

[​IMG]

Joshua Guyot, a robotics designer from a family of inventors, had drafted a simple design: a plastic object to be inserted into a wide-mouthed bottle to prevent water from rushing up your nose while riding a bike or running — or riding in a rocking Jeep. He called it “SplashGuard.”

“I realized that I could change the driver or fix the problem,” Joshua likes to say.

That was how Guyot Designs, now based in Deer Isle, began nine years ago. Since then, the company has grown to offer a line of Guyot-invented hydration products and outdoor cookware. Sloan, the company president, and Joshua, the chief executive officer, married and now have a 20-month old boy, Alden.

Their products are sold at large retailers such as L.L.Bean, Bangor’s Epic Sports, Cadillac Mountain Sports in Ellsworth and Bar Harbor, the international Container Store, Planet Dog and Fetch in Portland.

“When we started the company, Nalgene was really the only [popular] bottle,” said Sloan, standing in front of a wall of shelves lined with bottles of all materials and colors. “Now, we try to keep one of every bottle on the market out there.”

The Gription was the company’s second product. The lid and side handle is made for wide-mouth bottles, as is their product called Fireflye, which turns a clear, plastic bottle into a lantern.

“The hydration industry got really crowded,” said Sloan. “We wanted to focus on products made out of the cleanest and safest materials and wanted to move away from plastic to nylon and silicone.”

Guyot Design’s line of Squishy Bowls and cups earned Editor’s Choice from Backpacker Magazine in 2007. The set includes a 16-ounce bowl and a 6-ounce cup made from food-grade silicone that’s BPA free. The entire set weighs 5 ounces and can be packed down without losing shape.

“The whole design ethic is to make people feel at home in the outdoors, to make something that just puts your heart at ease,” said Sloan as she held a Squishy Bowl with her two hands cupped around it.

The bowls and cups can be heated up to about 446 degrees. That means you can cook cheesecake and miniature pies in them, which can be eaten with Guyot’s Microbites, lightweight utensils made of high temperature nylon polymer. They function as a spoon, fork, knife, spreader and spatula.

The dog bowls, inspired by the couple’s tiny dog, Ella Fitzgerald, are their best-selling product. Those, along with the SplashGuard, are the backbone of the company.

The products were manufactured by a United States factory until it closed and they switched to factories in China, which they try to visit once a year, unannounced, to evaluate the facility’s ethical standards and ensure fair pay.

In an effort to keep their products out of the waste stream, Guyot Designs asks that customers return used products to the company when they’re finished with them. They’re working hard to find recycling markets for every component of all of their products.

Five years ago, Sloan inherited a house in Northwest Harbor that has been passed down through the women in her family for four generations. The company headquarters moved from Los Gatos, Calif. to a second-story studio in Deer Isle. Its large windows look out over the water. As Sloan is training as a triathlete, she keeps her wetsuit at work and often swims home.

At any one time, they have five employees to help them in the office, including an intern.

“We’ve had so much local support. We’re committed to Maine and keeping a foothold here,” said Sloan.

In a corner of the studio, a rapid design machine is used to form prototypes of any three-dimensional object Joshua designs on the computer. Wednesday, Sloan held up a bottle of cloudy white plastic as an example of the machine’s handiwork.

“I can’t begin to tell you how many ideas have been launched out of it,” Sloan said.”It’s basically a 3-D printer.”

Their goal is to launch one innovative product a year, and they have several “top secret” products in the works this year.

“This is what the mind of some geniuses look like,” said Sloan as she walked into the Innovation Station, a room for Joshua’s computer, robots and various machinery surrounded by diagrams, metal boat parts and illustrations tacked on the wall. “It’s horrifying.”

Atop a tall book shelf that holds bins of random objects that inspire Joshua’s inventions was a dusty a red machine with propellers and flippers, lights, and a camera.

“This spurred him to be outdoors and make things for the outdoors,” Sloan said. “He has the heart of an adventurer and the soul of an inventor.”

Joshua constructed the remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) when he was in high school, painted red in honor Jacques Cousteau and his red hat. He built the ROV when a plane crashed into Otsego Lake in New York, his home state, and used the vehicle to explore the lake bottom with a camera.

“We just want to keep innovating and making outdoor products and making strong partnerships,” Sloan said. “We’re using the safest and soundest materials in the most beautiful ways.”

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Ganado, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  11. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Single wall 40 Oz SS bottle, a GSI cup that fits on the outside. A carrier of some kind
    Inside - a Saywer mini, a package of chlorine tabs, a fire steel, Swiss Army knife, spork, 2x 4 inch gauze pads, 2 x 3in gauze pads, several packets of Povidone iodine, small (Single AA) LED light, your choice of bouillon cubes, a few pices of hard candy. With any room left over,a dd jerky or other long shelf life chow.

Good luck!

Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Double wall containers are great for keeping liquid hot or cold. And I use one almost daily. But I agree they are not the most versatile for survival. Do NOT try to boil anything in a double wall container.

Zimmy and Motomom34 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

DSCN4251.JPG
    I used stainless steel spring wire for this, and food grade silicone for the seal and closing the holes on the lid .
    IF there is a failure of the lid to lift with steam (which is unlikely) the silicone in the lid vents will pop.
    If the vacuum when cold is too difficult to over come while opening , simply reheat/warm the vessel. I am toying with adding a fitting so that I can attach a hose for distillation .

Ganado likes this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Yeah, not perfect but we have them and I just want to stuff it full of survival stuff. It blends nicely. If someone sees it they just think water bottle. I know it cannot be heated but it can carry water so that is a bonus. Not a lot of water but some. Plus I was debating am I more likely going to need something to put water in or am I going to need something to cook in/boil water. If I put a life straw in it, it eliminates having to always boil.

Hanzo and HK_User like this.
  15. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

17. Fatum1965

Fatum1965 DDD

I do, I have a lot of titanium gear mostly to start shedding ounces. I do not use any of my titanium gear for, “survival” but more for everyday backpacking/climbing trips. Titanium has been a must for me personally. Not only the weight savings, but gear tends to get deformed if it’s seen heavy use. From heating over open flames to falls over hundreds of feet eating on your portaledge. Titanium takes the abuse. As far as a gripper; there are several companies that make some very useful pot grabbers also in titanium but I’ve never been one to over pack. I never fill the pot/bottle to the top then use a cloth (shirt, glove, etc) to grab the lip and remove from the heat. I hope this helped. Lots of people use bottles that are not intended for open flame. They will work, but I’ve always preferred the right tool for the job.

arleigh and Motomom34 like this.
  18. ochit

ochit Monkey+

My two are full of water 1.7 liters each for my emergency kit I have an MTM dry box. I like boxes and ammo cans if I have to cross water they are flotation devices and keep everything organized and dry. if or when empty I can use them for foraging hold smoked meat and keep it dry, as that is the enemy humidity and moisture or rain. An ammo can sprayed inside with good layer of vehicle undercoat makes a nice EMP proof can. I do not hold with electronic devices except a locater beacon I'll stick to topo maps and a few compasses.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never hear that. What do you mean by vehicle undercoat?

20. HK_User

Keith type on Amazon comes close to this.
    [​IMG]
    Keith Titanium Ti6300 Multifunctional Cooker

by Keith Titanium
    $96.00 $ 96 00 Prime
    Get it by Sunday, Apr 1
    4 out of 5 stars 18

Does this come with some sort of pressure regulator as seen on youtube?

Answer:
    Keith Titanium Multifunctional Cooker has two versions, standard and upgraded. The only difference is that the upgraded version has the pressure regulator you mentioned. The upgraded version is for regions with altitude higher than 13,000 feet. The standard version has been tested on mountains higher than 13,000 feet. … see more
    By KEITH TITANIUM SELLER on January 30, 2017
    See more answers (1)
      vote
    Question:
    Will the cooker reach high pressure(does it act as a pressure cooker) without the pressure regulator or will it let the steam out like a normal pot?

Answer:
    The cooker still lets the steam out but reaches slightly higher pressure than a normal pot.
    By KEITH TITANIUM SELLER on June 20, 2017

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  1. OldDude49
  2. Yard Dart
  3. DKR
  4. Legion489
  5. phorisc
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Snake_Doctor
  8. Thaddius Bickerton
  9. ghrit
  10. phishi