Water filter recommendations...and treatment of water

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bandit99, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yeah you are right but I don't want to replumb the whole house =)

Dunerunner likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In the Off-Grid forum, I wrote a Post on our Potable Water System, that we use here in Bush Alaska.... we use collected Rain Water... it details, with pictures and discriptions of the equipment... It is a Whole House System and has worked for us for 20+ Years...

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Got a friend who runs a ultraviolet light/quadruple reverse osmosis system. His system works for well, the church built a "mission relief water vehicle" to send to hurricane relief stations. You can throw it into a cow pond, and it'll pump out water that greatly exceeds the cleanliness standards of the .gov.

Ganado likes this.
  4. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I'm a non-plumbin mofo, about the only thing I got right the first time was the plumber's crack...but I actually managed to reroute a few things without destroying the house!

Ganado likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Some system details might be useful for the off gridders on site.

Ganado likes this.
  6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'll see what I can come up with. I can barely use the forum, and he laid on me a lot of engineer jargon that I'm sure will make more sense to y'all than me. I'll get the rundown next time I run into him.

Ganado likes this.
  7. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

Our main concerns are bacteria, fluoride (it is a well but there is naturally occurring fluoride in the area) possible farm runoff, so fertilizer and glyphosates, and muddiness. I know the mud can be handled with a pre filter. The rest, I am a bit overwhelmed with.

Can't do the 2 zone thing, as that would require re-plumbing most of the house.

8. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

You might look into this Aquasana system that is specifically designed for wells.
    Whole House Water Filter Systems | Well Water Filter

or this Pelican softener/filter combo

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  9. shanedg

shanedg Neophyte Monkey

How many watts of UV light is needed to completely purify a gallon of water? And if using a solar panel to do so, how many amps does it need to produce?

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Start with this thread. There are too many variables for an exact answer to your question.
    Industrial strength UV water purifier | Page 2 | Survival Monkey Forums

A site search will flush some more related threads.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Whole house filters make good sense even if it does filter water used on other things like washing machines , the value comes in filtering out sand and calcium grit in water that ruins seals and washers in valves in every thing .
    That alone is good reason to whole house filter.
    I use a whole house filter and a Britta filter in my kitchen sink and my bathroom sink , it just makes sense.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Navyair
  5. Ganado
  6. Sojourn
  7. DKR
  8. deMolay
  9. Ganado
  10. GOG
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Motomom34