1. The Topic of the Month for April 2017 is "Store what you use, use what you store." Please join the discussion on the Survival Topic of the Month forum.

Water filters/purifiers

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Detentus, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Has anyone invested in a water purifier/filter system? If so, what kind?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Are you asking about a whole house system that's hooked to your plumbing, a countertop model or portable?

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

3. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Melbo, sorry, I should have specified. I meant a portable, like a Katadyne. We already have a sytem hooked in for our well water(filters out Fe), as our water was rusty.

I'm looking at a Katadyne for around $66.00, with ceramic disc and replaceable cartridge that filters out bacteria, viruses, and general scum.

4. melbo

I have a few portable units.

Katadyn Pocket: This thing is heavy but solid, full ceramic. I've pulled water out of some pretty stagnant puddles without any further treatment. $219ish

I also have a PUR Scout although I don't think they make it anymore (Possibly made by Katadyn under a different name?). This guy is at least 15 yrs old and I'm only on the 3rd filter for it. Still tastes like Iodine with every sip too. $???

Check out the MSR Miniworks. I've heard great things and know that it has been carried my various militaries as well. $89ish

I'd also price in a complete set of replacement parts as well. Extra filters and a gasket/o ring kit. If it breaks and you don't have the parts, you might as well not have it.

Here's the Pocket and the Miniwiorks
    pocket. miniworks_ex2.

5. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Thank you, Melbo. I jumped the gun and ordered the one on the left(Katadyne) for $66.00 that usually retails for $89.00 with additional cartridges and ceramic disks.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done so.

6. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

This has come up recently.

I use PUR Hiker with great results (as in.... I've never been sick or had problems with it). Look at weight if you want to pack it. I was looking at a Katadyn steel model until I realized the weight.

The last thing you want in the woods is.......[flush]

7. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

8. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Thanks, everyone.

9. melbo

10. Detentus

Detentus Monkey+

Melbo, thanks again. I think I made the right choice. I may pick up a pocket one soon, too.

11. foust1012

foust1012 Monkey+

Emergency and Everyday Water Purification

The best portable water purifier out there in my opinion are the Berkey Systems. They are more powereful than anything I have found, and you can make any freshwater water source into pure drinking water very quickly. Also, the filtration elements are re-cleanable and last for up to 3,000 gallons each and most of the systems come with at least 2 elements which means that they would last for 6,000 gallons. They have models for individuals all the way to large groups. they even have a model that is a 22 oz. sports water bottle that is perfect for 72-hour kits. The best website I have seen out there is Home. They have competitive prices and a very informative site. Check them out. I bought mine there and I love it so much, I use it for everyday drinking water.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7